What's new

Ocean Park, Hong Kong |"Hair Raiser"| B&M Floorless

Ben

CF Legend
Ocean Park in Hong Kong are getting a nice, bright yellow B&M stand up... with a Zero-G!

h5cmhvtt4mno004qd2iv4e.jpg

hpaqo7vnsiqv001jbkabsh.jpg

25gr12iv4em1vu14mno00c.jpg

http://rcdb.com/9647.htm

Quite looking forward to this since I'll be riding it <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Interesting to see that the Stand Up isn't dead after all.

I suppose it makes sense. Sure there are a few Togo stand ups in Japan, but I'm pretty sure that's it for the whole of Asia, and even those are nowhere near the size/scale of B&M's version. Plus, few of the locals would have ridden, or even heard of, one. From a marketing perspective, it's actually a very good idea.

Those rapids are new as well...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
From the rcdb link you've posted.

This being a stand-up roller coaster is only based on rumors at this time.

Either way! Great to see another B&M, will follow this closely. Damn China and their awesome coaster choices for 2011.

jokerman

Giga Poster
The track shaping certainly looks drawn out enough to be for a standup.

An interesting choice of coaster. I might follow progress on this one.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
Stand-ups are probably more comfortable for shorter people. China is a good place for a new one.
So far there are some nice looking inversions.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Stand-ups are probably more comfortable for shorter people.
Disagree, on Riddlers in the load station I was having to put all my weight on the harness to make sure it didn't ride up and lift me by the crotch!

Lofty

CF Legend
Wow. This popped up from NOWHERE!

This year certainly has seen B&M trying different elements and inversions with their coasters. This coaster looks fantastic on that hill too. Looks a lot bigger then it probably is.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I am actually petrified of Shockwave at DM. Like, to the point where I'd be worried of riding it again because the zero-g attacked me brutally.

Stand-ups are probably more comfortable for shorter people. China is a good place for a new one.
I disagree too. Same reason as the Gazza.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I'm fairly short too, and Shockwave at Drayton doesn't work properly for me. Last time I ended up in the sitting down position because the restraint wouldn't move up, and every inversion was just painful for my back.

Maybe Shockwave's just a bad example of a stand-up coaster, but I'm willing to bet that this new one would do exactly the same thing. It looks awesome though.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Well it gives B&M a chance to perfect the type I suppose.

Mantis was alright, it was smooth... it was the pain in the balls bike saddle that was the problem. It moves up and down. When it locked, it locked high, so my feet were not totaly on the floor. That turn-around was rather forcefull on the legs which wasn't plesant. Top that with lots of headbanging...

On the plus side, that little hill before the Mid-Course was awesome. More stuff like that the better.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
summit%20hard%20model_resize.jpg

You can see the layout here. Not a long layout by any means but a dive loop and an immelmen either side of the zero-g-roll is a nice touch.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
None of the stand ups I've ridden have been groundbreaking, this however could be. I just doubt it.

The problem with them is it's hard to comprehend the point of being standing. It doesn't add much interest, it just adds discomfort. It doesn't feel as intrinsically wrong and weird as it sounds, unlike the flying coaster which doesn't sound as weird as standing but is more weird to ride.

EDIT: Where's the lift on the layout pic? Lol.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Right at the back climbing the cliff side Joey. before dropping into the loop

I love the stand-ups I have ridden which may only be Shockwave and Riddlers Revenge but Riddler finds a place nestled in my top 3.

Ben

CF Legend
Is that a mini airtime hill before the Zero-G?

Am I the only one that thinks this looks GREAT. Shockwave isn't like the B&M stand ups... Hate them if you've been on one, but, Shockwave isn't one...

I really liked Riddler's, so, this excites me. And I like Shockwave actually.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think it looks alright, but why are we all presuming its a Stand-Up? Isn't there just as much of a chance that it could be Floorless or just a plain Sit-Down?