What's new

"Now Showing"

neo

Mega Poster
I also went to see Saw VI this afternoon.

Saw VI was quite clever in using the recession and health care issues to relate it more to its audience. The pace of the film was good and I felt the traps were more visceral than previous Saw films. Alas it’s a long way from Leigh Whannel’s and James Wan’s original film. But as for a post Saw III instalment (i.e. when they no longer had involvement) it’s an above average entry.

3/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Finished watching Sunset Boulevard in Film Studies today.

What an odd, quirky film. Certainly leaves you thinking 'WTF?!', but not at the film itself, more the plot and characters.

It voted 52nd best film ever by Channel 4 and their long-arsed poles, but it's not all that good at all.

6.5/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I get it, it's just you're just thinking in your head 'WTF?!' especially with the woman and the peculiar servant of hers
/former husband

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
^Words can't describe how much you fail.

I mean...

MY GOD!

I almost thought that was a post by Ollie!

QFT! It's because there were no explosions and no traps that hurt anyone. Also, there was an absence of Harry Potter and a convoluted, yet poorly executed plot twist designed to make you feel the film was clever ;)

Dave

CF Legend
Ollie said:
SAW VI:
Saw (no pun intended ;)) it this morning. Cinema was dead and I was the only one in the screen until about a minute before the ads started and one other man came in.
The film began really well. The opening trap was great and really gory. Really kick started the film. The contents of Jills box is revealed in this one and what was in it was slightly disappointing. But anyway the film once again follows one man as he goes through a series of games choosing who he wants to live and who has to die. The traps in this film were great. They were all completely different from each other and you had no idea what was going to happen next.
Meanwhile the police/detectives are getting closer to finding out who is continuing Jigsaws work. Will they belive it was Strahm? (sp?)
About two thirds of the way through the film though I realised it was getting slightly less interesting. But it seemed the director realised this as well as the last few scenes were great and the ending was amazing.
The film answers alot of questions the other films have left open but also creates a few new ones for future Saw films.

So yeah it was good. I'd say it's about the same level as Saw 2 was but with more gore. I'd only suggest seeing it though if you've seen all the other Saw films (or you won't have a clue what's going on) and if you're interested in finding out more about the story.

7/10

Don't need to see the film now, all spoilt (well not spoilt as Saw sucks) by Ollie.

kthxbai

mrclam

Giga Poster
There's cause for Goonies fans to celebrate this week, as it looks like that long-mooted sequel could soon become a reality.

Speaking to Sci-Fi Wire, writer Chris Columbus said that Joe Pantoliano - who played one of the dastardly Fratellis in the original - has been discussing the project with director Richard Donner.

"[Pantaliano] said that Richard Donner talked to him about six months ago about the sequel" the website reports. "I think the only way it could be done is if the kids are now the parents, and their kids have become the Goonies. I still think the two brothers are still alive and well, so they could still be in the movie. So it's a matter of whether or not they could re-create that concept."

However, Columbus added that he worried the popularity of the internet and videogames would mean they'd have to think carefully about the concept of an outdoors adventure.

"I don't know if that's possible anymore" he explained. "Maybe if all the parents in the new Goonie movie forbid their kids to play on the internet, that's got to be the plot. You can't go anywhere near a computer or cell phone."

To read the writer's further thoughts on the sequel, and for news of a Goonies reunion in 18 month's time, head to the original article here.

peep

CF Legend
Recently got back from seeing Couple's retreat.

It was ok, has its funny moments. Vince Vaughn still annoys me by just being on the screen. It's very predictable but like I've already said it has amusing times. Hmm.

Rating: 3/5

Lain

Giga Poster
I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox tonight.

It was alright. The trailer made it look naff, so I wasn't expecting much, but I came out pleasantly surprised.

nealbie

CF Legend
Lain said:
I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox tonight.

It was alright. The trailer made it look naff, so I wasn't expecting much, but I came out pleasantly surprised.

What'ya talking about? The trailer (ie-the long 5 minute one) makes it look absolutely awesome, and is why I shall be going to see it lol.

Lain

Giga Poster
I don't think I've seen a five-minute one, but the ones I had seen were rubbish. They left out all the good bits, and he did that annoying whistle-click thing far too often.

The annoying whistle-click thing is in the film a lot less than I expected, which is nice.

peep

CF Legend
I think Fantastic Mr Fox looks dire. So therefore I will not be going to see it. I always get excited about Wes Anderson films because they usually have an amazing cast and then the trailer makes the film look terrible and then I see the film and it IS terrible. So therefore, regarding my little theory, Fantastic Mr Fox is terrible. Plus the animation looks abysmal and there is no way I could sit through an entire film in that style.

On the plus side I just watched The Rescuers on DVD.

I've had it for ages but never watched it. You can tell that it wasn't made that long after the Aristocats, same style of animation, loads of the same actors used for voices etc. It was an enjoyable film though. The villain wasn't great but she suited the story well. I might watch the sequel at the weekend if I have time.

Rating: 4/5

^ That was a movie I was never keen on when I was a kid, and even now when I watch it with my sister or something. Though, I remember pretending to be the girl and the villain a lot when I was little :lol: .

I'm still excited to see Paranormal Activity.. Even though I have a feeling I might be disappointed since I have such high expectations.