What's new

"Now Showing"

wash

Mega Poster
Taxi Driver
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLyTdcMLhc[/youtube]
I had high expectations for this film and it didn't disappoint. Highlights include a great score and moody atmosphere throughout. The film is also masterful at having the audience sympathize with Travis then be unnerved and repulsed by him, only to go back and do it again and again. My one major complaint is that the movie seemed to drag a little around 3/4 of the way through. Other than that, a great movie and I can see why it's a classic, but I don't think it is Scorsese's best film like many say.
9/10

Unforgiven
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FybS1XFPZ20[/youtube]
Another good one. My only complaints are that the film starts off a little slow and that it feels it must remind us that Clint Eastwood "Aint like that no more," every two minutes or so. This is definitely a thinking movie, not the common gunslinging variety, and it really does give you a lot to think about. It's not clear which characters are good and which ones are bad. All I knew for certain when the movie ended was that life sucked for the partner of the guy who actually cut up Delilah.
8.5/10

Also, I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsoY1OKTnQ&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]

If you like the humour of Year One, please don't watch Zombieland.

It's not like I ONLY like that kind of humour. I like mostly any kind of humour (unless it's stupid and complicated jokes which I don't understand, which is rare in movies).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I shall jump in on the Up bandwagon. Maxi-Minor_Furie has been wetting himself with excitement for months waiting for the film to come out. Finally got him there on Saturday (Cineworld St. Helens, 11:00 a.m. showing - but that's an easy one ;) ).

Absolutely brilliant, really fantastic entertainment. The story was brilliant for the most part, tear jerking one second, hilarious the next. There were a few bits where I had to try and explain things to MMF. This is a good thing as it means:

a) he was involved in the film and brought into the world.
b) it is deep enough to make explaining adult terms difficult. That means it's engaging on an adult level too.

nadroJ said:
I felt some parts of the storyline came on a bit too strong emotionally (the trying for a baby bit) and some of the themes were a little too advanced for a kids movie? I don't know if that's just me but I was a little shocked at how overwhelmed I felt during the film. Also, blood features, again, a little too far on Pixar's account? I'm all for realism etc but I don't know if that needed to be included.

It was fine Jordan to be honest. Though MMF couldn't understand the bit on the waterfall, it made him sad.

There were two bits of story that really irked me though.
Potential Spoilers! I'll try not to post real spoilers, but it may change the way you watch the film!
First up, I loved the squirrel idea - brilliant. Then there was the joke Doug told though. It elevated the squirrel thing from an impulse reaction, and kind of brought them in as an antagonist. As a pure response function, it makes the dogs really funny, but after that joke, it made the dogs seem more evil than amusing, it was actually a bit creepy and disturbing, and it was never really fully played out. It's all because of the joke he tells.

Then there was the whole Russell father thing. He never really settled on it. It seemed a little bit ham fisted the way it was written. It started with him being quite honest, but then the second time it's mentioned, he seems to lie about his father. It just didn't seem to work, you'd think that in the context, it would be the other way around. Then the ending seemed to kind of skirt over it a bit. I know it's a very subtle thing, and I'm glad they were brave enough not to just sweeten up the ending by the absence, but that part of the story just didn't work for me at all.
[/End of potential spoilers]

I think if the rest of the film hadn't been so brilliant and captivating, it wouldn't have stuck out so much. the writing is still light years ahead of what anyone else is doing with kids films. The Pixar teams aren't scared to tackle slightly iffy issues and they don't feel the need to tie everything up neatly. They just don't follow formulas (except in Cars :roll: ).

So, even being annoyed at the slightly iffy bits, it's still very easily 10/10.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Wash, I actually found Scorsese's Taxi Driver boring. He is one of my favourite directors, but I think that was probably his worst film, followed by Mean Streets.

kimahri

CF Legend
wash said:
Also, I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsoY1OKTnQ&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]

Plod showed my this as well. I find it, uh, intriguing because it's using similar idea's to a game I want to make.

And I've yet to see Up. :C

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Two quick ones!
Lilo and Stitch
Watched this with MMF on Sunday on Channel Five. It's been years since I last saw it (I think we have it on VHS somewhere). It's one of those Disney's where it's not a great Disney film, but it's still a huge amount better than pretty much anything anyone else has done :lol:

I like the film to be honest. I like the style of it to a degree, and I like the dysfunctional characters. It was a hard film for MMF to understand to be honest, but he sat through it and enjoyed it - so points there :)

8/10

Last night I watched Knowing on Blu-Ray. I didn't know anythnig about the film, so it was great actually watching something with no preconceptions (how ironic ;) ).For those who haven't seen it and want it Ollied, it's about a bloke who ends up with a mad little girl's 50 year old bit of paper which when decoded predicts disasters.

Nicholas Cage is said bloke, and he spends the film mumbling around massive CGI disasters looking for answers. It's a bit of a mish-mash to be honest. Good, honest disaster epic, mingled with suspense movie and paranoia. It doesn't dip its toe in either fantastically well, but the disaster scenes are excellently over the top (if not brilliantly CGI'd to be honest) - they're quite shocking though, fast. You can imagine that's how a real disaster happens. Bang, confusion, death, more confusion.

I didn't feel particularly well connected to any of the characters. The film was annoyingly just a bit too good to be a cheese fest, but didn't quite go the extra mile needed to be a brilliant film - it was a good effort mind. Why do people still hire Nicholas Cage??? 3/5, but worth watching!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
Seeing as alot of people have sen UP. What did everyone think of the short at the beginning?

They didn't show it at ours!!! I reckon it was nicked! That's the problem with being so close to Liverpool, people steal your shorts! [/racist post ;)]

Peter

Hyper Poster
I should be seeing Up tomorrow evening all being well.

For those who have been, is it worth seeing in 3D? Our choice is either pay full price for a 3D showing (quite expensive for a bunch of students) or go Orange Wednesday and get into a 2D showing for about £2 each. Unfortunatly Orange Wednesdays don't work for 3D films. :(

So is it really worth paying loads more to see it in 3D?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I've now seen Up, in 3D.

****ing amazing . Loved every second of it. Brilliant animation, excellent story, touching, funny, fast paced, and had adult themes which I liked.

Blood in a Disney movie though, that shocked me! Haha.

10/10.

Oh, and for Ollie, I did like Partly Cloudy, I just thougt it dragged a bit.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just got back from seeing Zombieland.
I went in knowing that it was just going to be a film all about the slaying of zombies in awesome ways and that it'd be weak on the plot. Even so I found the first half of the film just average and not that funny. There was a part in the middle where you didn't see a zombie for ages and it just seemed to drag a bit. But the bit from Bill Murrays house to the end was excellent. The scene with the Ghostbusters had the whole audience in stitches and when they get to the park it's pretty good but it's annoying noticing how many things are wrong with it. :p
Still it's great fun to watch but it's nothing epic.
7/10

Lain

Giga Poster
Peter said:
Unfortunatly Orange Wednesdays don't work for 3D films. :(

That's a bit ghey.

I paid £7.50 for it, at the student rate, and I thought it was well worth that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Peter said:
I should be seeing Up tomorrow evening all being well.

For those who have been, is it worth seeing in 3D? Our choice is either pay full price for a 3D showing (quite expensive for a bunch of students) or go Orange Wednesday and get into a 2D showing for about £2 each. Unfortunatly Orange Wednesdays don't work for 3D films. :(

Don't worry, you're not really missing much at all.

The way that I see it.

Imagine eating corn on the cob with a big knob of butter on it. Yum! it's colourful, hot and delicious (just like Snoo). There's absolutely nothing wrong with a fresh corn at all.

Now, imagine adding black pepper to the corn. It enhances the taste of the corn and gives it a lovely peppery hit. It's tastier than corn with with just butter. However, by the time you're a quarter of the way through the corn, you've stop noticing the pepper. It's a coating on the delicious buttery corn. It does add a new dimension, but you just stop noticing it, the corn at the core is still the main thing.

All analogies aside, the 3D is really noticeable at the start, but you end up just ignoring it - so it's not worth the extra in my opinion. There's a lot more to add, but we have a topic all about it that I'll post in at some point - just for the moment, don't feel as though you're really missing out not seeing it in 3D.

Ollie

CF Legend
I saw UP in 2D and it was still amazing.

Just seen the trailer for this. It looks alright actually.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UxLEqd074[/youtube]

nealbie

CF Legend
Up is to be devoured this evening, Orange Wednesdays are fun (especially if you don't have stingy Southern Peter cinemas that don't let you into 3D showings...).

Over the past few days (since Toy Story last Monday in fact), I've regressed back into Disney times, watching films with varying levels of success.

Aladdin:- One of my favourite films. Containing most certainly my favourite character, and a whole host of others besides. Recent views of this has made me reconsider The Lion King being my favourite renaissance film, hmmmm. Nah, the little orange fluffballs still take the top spot.

Not so much a sobfest, just heart warmingly witty and a bit doe-eyed for the most part. But still it easily ticks all the boxes and is a product that they should be proud of. 9.2/10

Sleeping Beauty:- Reportedly obsessed with this as a child I was. But sorry to say that whatever it wad that attracted me to this film is longsince seemingly dead.

Yes it is delightful, but it doesn't do anything until the climax, it's far too pedestrian a film for my liking. It's also largely lacking in any form of competent comical relief, what'ya playing at Disney? I really don't like criticising Disney films, as I always feel like I'm wrong when doing so, but on this occassion they've made a bad job out of a good, timeless even, storyline. Bad form. 5.4/10

The Aristocats:- A much better rendition of the 101 Dalmations tale. With Cats, :) .

It's actually quite upsetting and alarming at the same time. The subject matter is practically kid-knapping and torture by seedy persons, but glossed over by the fact it's kittens and not children. Made me shudder at times. Obviously something that wouldn't have been noticed if I'd watched it as a child, but still, this is Disney! 6.2/10

Treasure Planet:- Richard (Stone Cold) is to thank for me rewatching this. He reminded me of the performance of one David Hyde Pierce as Dr. Doppler, and I was reminded of Tony Jay's fab performances as Judge Claude Frollo and the narrator for Treasure Planet (what a voice!).

It is, in essence, yet another telling of the Robert Louis Stevenson tale, Treasure Island. All "Disneyfied" and put into space. It's thrilling, the main song "I'm Still Here" is severely under-rated and overlooked when compiling lists including the likes of "Beauty and The Beast" and "A Whole New World", etc, etc.

But the film is distinctly average, with just the occasional great scenes/sequences. The conclusion, in my opinion, is by far the best of any of the post renaissance films. And the whole moving Treasure Island into space is inspired and one of the Disney Imagineers' best work. 6.8/10

Atlantis: The Lost Empire:- Again, this is quite original (well a different spin on the whole "Atlantis Story" at least). Quite a fun adventure, with some interesting surprises and turns.

Although, I find it moves far too much towards the "lovey-dovey" spectrum when it should remain an action film (both of which it tries to do, but ultimately fails in doing so, ruining the spectacle). The film as a result, is made poor by it. 4.6/10

This now means that I have watched 46/48 of Disney's Animated Features. Bring on Melody Time and Saludos Amigos :roll:

Peter

Hyper Poster
Neal said:
Up is to be devoured this evening, Orange Wednesdays are fun (especially if you don't have stingy Southern Peter cinemas that don't let you into 3D showings...).

Unfortunatly it's not the cinema, it's in the terms and conditions of Orange Wednesday.

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/orange-wednesdays-terms-and-conditions

I quote, term and condition #20 states:

20. The offer does not cover 3D films

Although it also states a lot of other crap that you can get around quite easily - it's probably all down too whoever you buy the tickets off and if they're paying attention. :p

Thanks for the advice Furie, we'll end up seeing it in 2D most probs then.