What's new

Notable Losses Since 2001

Thecoasterrus

Mega Poster
I loved reading this! I never even knew that Gebirgsbahn existed, but best believe I am doing my research now 🤓

For me personally, Corkscrew at Flamingo Land felt like a bigger loss back in 2011, while I get that the Alton Towers version is more important and iconic, the fact that we had a clone in Yorkshire softened the blow. I preferred the Flamingo Land version because for some reason it felt smoother, still not a smooth ride, but tolerable. Losing the Flamingo Land ride meant that we'd never ride the Corkscrew again (in the UK at least) at least it has a solid replacement whenever that Intamin opens.

While it wasn't a great ride I do also miss the Space Invader at BPB, having a restaurant in that asteroid building just seems less fun.

Tonkso

Mega Poster
How about Rat/Raptor Attack, which Lightwater is losing this year (if we don't end up losing the whole park).
Also, on the subject of whole parks, Geauga Lake.

rob666

Hyper Poster
I know I'm an old git, and technically 1980 isn't quite in the last twenty years, but I still weep for the Reel at BPB.
Crazy ride, waltzer car on a Mouse track, zero restraints, circular bench seats, couple of airtime hills, and a long dark section with a random stranger sat in your lap, what more could you possibly want?
And yes, I did actually see it flop.

Oh, and never mind Raptor Attack, t'Ultimate is probably deceased too.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I loved reading this! I never even knew that Gebirgsbahn existed, but best believe I am doing my research now 🤓

For me personally, Corkscrew at Flamingo Land felt like a bigger loss back in 2011, while I get that the Alton Towers version is more important and iconic, the fact that we had a clone in Yorkshire softened the blow. I preferred the Flamingo Land version because for some reason it felt smoother, still not a smooth ride, but tolerable. Losing the Flamingo Land ride meant that we'd never ride the Corkscrew again (in the UK at least) at least it has a solid replacement whenever that Intamin opens.

While it wasn't a great ride I do also miss the Space Invader at BPB, having a restaurant in that asteroid building just seems less fun.

Completely agree about Space Invader. I understand why it went, but I used to love the ride. The silly walkthrough queue and the stupid lighting effects inside. I always rated it above Black Hole at AT - but then again, I never rated Black Hole in the slightest :)

With the Corkscrew though, it was more about the importance of the ride, and the fact it had been a staple at AT for so long. I think you're right, the FL (ex-Spanish City where I first came across it) ride was better, but it was just a car-park coaster there. Okay, we're into the whole "experience" discussion here, but the AT Corkscrew was iconic, FL's was just a +1

How about Rat/Raptor Attack, which Lightwater is losing this year (if we don't end up losing the whole park).

I think this (for a park rebranding as a family park) is a bigger loss than T'Ultimate. It was a really fun little ride, with a great entrance. Massive loss for the park.

Also, on the subject of whole parks, Geauga Lake.

Yeah, it's really hard picking at times. This one particularly so. In the decision process, I put this to one side because although it was a really old, established park, it had spent a decade or so just being another "Six Flags Cookie Cutter" park. The loss in 2007 was probably less than it would have been in 1990 say. The Chiller was a unique experiment, so hit the list instead.

I know I'm an old git, and technically 1980 isn't quite in the last twenty years, but I still weep for the Reel at BPB.
Crazy ride, waltzer car on a Mouse track, zero restraints, circular bench seats, couple of airtime hills, and a long dark section with a random stranger sat in your lap, what more could you possibly want?
And yes, I did actually see it flop.

Do you mean the final death throws?

This ride annoys me. I was 9 when it was removed, and I'd been to the Pleasure Beach at least twice a year since I was a toddler. I have no memory of riding The Reel. I have a memory when I was 7 of being denied a ride on the Grand Prix, but nothing else. My memories start when I was 11 or so riding everything else. I loved rides, and the Tubs at Joyland brought back a strange kind of Deja Vu - so I think I did ride it, but there's just no clear memory.

Not as annoying as my only memory of my trip to Morecombe being the bus journey home :D

There are some interesting shots of the Reel you've probably seen, I'll post them in the Old Coaster Footage topic.

rob666

Hyper Poster
My uncle in Fleetwood tipped me off when it was being pulled down, I had just passed my driving test, and drove over in my mums car to watch it being ripped down.
It was a strange structure, a big "wedge of cheese" shape made out of massive timbers, with a solid platform.
I had expected a thin coaster frame with boards over the top, but it was much more solid.
And rotten...it virtually fell over.
Cheers for the vids, not seen the Coney Reel before.
As many hold the Mouse in highest regard, for me it will always be the Reel.
The ride of my misspent youth.

ChristianPalsson

Mega Poster
What was wrong with it? Besides the restraints, I thought it looked great. And I personally don't mind those Intamin OTS bars.

If you have ridden Formula at Energylandia, Kanonen was similar, just worse. Kanonen was a compact ride with some of that old school out of control intimin launched coaster feeling. That is something other coasters at Liseberg lack. Don't get me wrong, Valkyria is an incredible fit for Liseberg but except for the view and drop it is a pretty dull and short ride. I'm happy we have gotten Wildfire to redeem some of that coaster craziness.

Cranedude

Hyper Poster
Wicked Twister. Looked very unique, wanted to go on it one day.
Also, despite it being rather old news, Primeval Whirl. I really enjoyed it, big shame they removed it. Though some people may think otherwise.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
We can unfortunately add Wild West Mine Train to this list (barring the unlikely). Very saddened as this has been one of my most seeked out coasters since becoming an enthusiast :(

Nicky Borrill

Giga Poster
What a fantastic read, @furie and @TilenB 👏👏👏

The only notable loss that has affected me personally in this hobby is American Adventure, mostly due to geographical reasons, but also because in my younger years it seemed to have so much potential that was just never realised :( The park's fate was really sealed when it failed to adequately respond to '1994.' From then on it was just a slow, painful, death... Such a shame.