How to say new

• noo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nyew

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonSev

Roller Poster
Me and my freind had a fight...not really more of bickering...about how people pronounce "new". Sure our fight was about how New Jerseyites and New Yorkers (City) say it...but Id like to see how everyone else says it.

She says nyew. I say noo. I told her that I havent heard many people say nyew because everyone says noo. I go to Noo Jersey. Noo York. I got a noo MP3 player. Nyew takes too long to say.

So, which one is it?

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Well for me it it nyew although I often type it as noo because it is quicker. To actually say noo just sounds wrong to me.

Martyn

Giga Poster
JonSev said:
Nyew takes too long to say.

How exactly? They're both one syllabal! So what do you do with all the time you saved then? Butcher some more of the English language?

I say "nyew" because, well, that's how it's spelt, and how it should be pronounced.

themeparkphreak

Roller Poster
As a Englishman I say 'Nyew' .. I imagine all People from GB say 'Nyew' unless they're watched a few to many episodes of Friends.

robertw

Roller Poster
themeparkphreak said:
As a Englishman I say 'Nyew' .. I imagine all People from GB say 'Nyew' unless they're watched a few to many episodes of Friends.

Or not enough, as the case may be :roll:

Phoebe: Besides, it might be kinda fun to form the new A-Team (TOW They're going to P.A.R.T.Y)

Chandler: I'll take that bet my friend. And you know what, paying me the 50 bucks could be the "new thing you do that day!" (TOW All The Resolutions)

Joey: And I got custody of the kid, right? Now suppose the kid dies and-and I gotta buy a new kid. (TOW Joey's Fridge)

Rachel: Oh, my-my new assistant has very happy that I hired my new assistant. (TOW Rachel's Assistant)

Monica: Hey, guys, guys, did you see my new, china cabinet? (TOW The Dollhouse)

Ross: Yes, yes it is! No, but it's good it's?Emily thinks we should get all new stuff. Stuff that's just ours, together. Y'know brand new. (TOW The Yeti)

^That's every character, and if you watch the episodes, you'll find that every one of them pronounces it "nyew". I didn't think anyone pronounced it noo, unless they were just really lazy...

aly

Mega Poster
I say nyew! Saying 'Noo York' seems rather stupid! lol. I guess it all depends how lazy your are when talking!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Martyn said:
I say "nyew" because, well, that's how it's spelt, and how it should be pronounced.

"Sked-chool" *cringes*

But yeah, I say "nyew", but a lot of it comes down to regional accents. The welsh bloke at work says "noo".

Pierre

Strata Poster
Nyew, and apparently I have a very distinguishable(sp?! (is it even a word?:?) accent to the general English language.

A

Anonymous

Nyew.....althoughi think i may have of used 'Noo' a few times actually

Aaron

Hyper Poster
I only say noo if i'm taking the smeg.

I always say nyew, catch me talking improperly? doubt it... :p

Oh my god, I couldn't even imagine saying NYEW, it just sounds too weird. I say "noo" as most people in Canada/North America do. I don't think I've heard many people say nyew. :lol:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, I kinda say it both ways, but I guess I say nyew more.

JonSev

Roller Poster
Nyew does take longer. Noo is faster! Who cares about the syllables? It takes longer to say "yeh" when you can just skip that part.

A

Anonymous

Isn't 'noo' close to the name of a vacuum in a popular kids TV show? I wouldn't know personally...somebody told me...*shifty eyes*

I voted for nyew by the by, just sounds better