What's new

Nolimits 2 Competition #1 - Pave Paradise

VooDoDe

Roller Poster
NoLimits2 has been out for a good six months now and there haven't been any contests yet, so I have decided to host one now that I've finally got my hands on the program.

NoLimits 2 Competition 1: Pave Paradise

Ahh... What a beautiful little meadow surrounded by rolling hills. What should we do with it? Build a loud and obnoxious roller coaster, of course! McAmusementPark Inc. has decided to build a unique roller coaster for their next big project instead of another generic Batman clone built on a parking lot, and it's up to you to design it. In this contest your goal is to make an original and thrilling terrain woodie in a limited space with nothing touching the water. Wouldn't want to piss of the environmentalists too much.

Rules

-No tools (I don't know if these even exist for NL2 yet, but I'm putting this just in case)
-No 3DS
-No track can go past or above the boundaries that are set. Supports and scenery can, however.
-Feel free to delete and add whatever trees you want to, but don't make any major terraforming changes.
-No supports or track may enter or be above the water.
-Any wooden coaster style may be used.

Rating Scale

Building Technique - 10 pts.
Originality - 10 pts.
Realism - 10 pts.
Excitement - 10 pts.
User Ratings - 20 pts.

60 pts. total

Unique tracks will be lauded, so think creatively!

Due July 3rd, 2014 at 3pm PST

Template:
https://www.mediafire.com/?gojcp7tx5ioiw6l

Send your completed track with your username to amousethatismodest@gmail.com

Good luck to everyone competing and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Now make stuff. :D

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
I don't have NL 2.0 yet, so I'll have to miss out on this one, but I want to make sure my past understanding of the "no tools" rule is still correct. I always understood it to mean no tools that didn't come with NL when you bought it, and wondered if that would still hold true if a future version included features that would smooth out segments, correct banking, auto-heartline, etc. I understand 2.0 has most of that in the basic program and maybe even more in the $100 pro one. Not that I know if any of that would serve as a "magic wand" to fix the transition issues that plagued one of my layouts after another!

Anyway, I guess I won't be able to give you one of my moebious dueling/racing woodies like I've done before! Come to think of it, would it even have to be moebious now, or could it be two separate tracks in one file? That's another thing I understand is new with 2.0!

BBH

Giga Poster
BHRD track and trains have been seen at a new site... what will this cutting-edge manufacturer have in store for us this time after the release of their first woodie, Cestus?

duh6FUM.jpg

98XAtdS.jpg

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
I take it BBH was the winner, since the deadline has passed and nobody else posted to say they'd be entering! A few weeks ago, I had to have Windows re-loaded on my computer, so I don't even have NL 1.8 right now. I think they did a backup of all the files I had, but the program itself is gone. Have to buy it again, I guess, or just get 2.0 and hope the coasters I had before, either my own or others' from comps, forums, swaps, etc., will work in that version as well as the ones in which they were originally made.

I'm still curious as to whether or not NL 2.0 gives us the tools for smoothing, heartlining, track-building, etc., that would have been a separate download in the past. I've always assumed the "no tools" rule meant you could only use what came with NL whenever you bought it, and wondered if that rule would still stand if they ever became standard parts of the program!

In any event, judging by the near lack of entrants, I'm guessing that when you buy NL 2.0 you're basically at "Square One" again when it comes to learning it! Well, either that or everybody's on summer vacation trips, riding real coasters maybe!

VooDoDe

Roller Poster
Well, it appears we have ended with the grand total of... 0 entries! Woohoo! Great contest.

SFOGRICH said:
I take it BBH was the winner, since the deadline has passed and nobody else posted to say they'd be entering! A few weeks ago, I had to have Windows re-loaded on my computer, so I don't even have NL 1.8 right now. I think they did a backup of all the files I had, but the program itself is gone. Have to buy it again, I guess, or just get 2.0 and hope the coasters I had before, either my own or others' from comps, forums, swaps, etc., will work in that version as well as the ones in which they were originally made.

I'm still curious as to whether or not NL 2.0 gives us the tools for smoothing, heartlining, track-building, etc., that would have been a separate download in the past. I've always assumed the "no tools" rule meant you could only use what came with NL whenever you bought it, and wondered if that rule would still stand if they ever became standard parts of the program!

In any event, judging by the near lack of entrants, I'm guessing that when you buy NL 2.0 you're basically at "Square One" again when it comes to learning it! Well, either that or everybody's on summer vacation trips, riding real coasters maybe!

The program includes several new methods of smoothing tracks and a completely new node system, and I'd consider anything that comes with the program as fair to use. It's much more efficient to make a track now if you learn the system well, but it's not like it builds itself. :p

I'm guessing most people haven't checked the competition section as of late, hence the lack of publicity, or people just can't be assed in making a ride. Either way, it's a shame nobody seems interested in a NL2 contest. I'd think there'd be a new spark of activity in this forum considering we've been waiting years for this software. But oh well.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It's more that people are still learning and working on mastering it. Also, there is a lack of NL users around right now.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
After the Banshee announcement at KI last summer, I kept hoping that one of the next comps would be for a B & M invert so I could do a re-creation of it - or I guess it would have been a "PRE-creation" in that instance, since I would have been going off of the videos and whatever track stats were on RCDB before actual construction began. As it turned out, the next few were ones I wasn't really familiar enough with to try, never having ridden those types. For the last one, "Simply Nostalgia," I thought I could at least submit the Georgia Cyclone re-creation I did when I needed a Coney Island Cyclone support structure as a scenery prop in Comp 3: Size Wise, but the comp called for an out-and-back! The SFOG version is actually a mirror of the Coney Island one, maybe about 10 feet higher and 100 feet longer, but living near it and watching it when it was under construction in 1990, naturally I was a little more familiar with it! It was easy enough to just put a mirrored version of that into the Coney Island setting, with the B & M hyper wrapped around it on three sides.

Say, doesn't Banshee have the new type of restraints, like the ones on Wild Eagle? I wonder if they could be changed to the new kind on all B & M coasters. They have to replace the trains anyway after a certain number of years, don't they, once they've operated for however long a service life they're supposed to have?

Xpress

Strata Poster
Regarding the 'no tools' rule:

Might as well omit this. The only external programs we have for NL2 right now that work DIRECTLY with NL2 are simple script generators to make basic scripts, such as attaching an object to a train, or making basic blocking scripts. That's it. NL2 already includes a VERY powerful spline creation method that allows users to make brilliantly smooth spines without too much effort and by utilizing a lot of track nodes, as well as automatically heartlining wherever you place roll nodes.

There is already an extremely powerful built in FVD program as well, rendering external FVD programs basically obsolete. So, to say that you can't use tools is to essentially say that you can't use any of the components of the simulator that allow track creation easy and simple. There are no significant external track creation tools for the simulator as of yet, and there really isn't a need with how powerful the build in FVD is.

And as for the limited entries, it may have to deal with in part that the simulator is still relatively new around this website and users are still getting the hang of using the program and all of its new creation methods. Other side effects may include the summer weather, vacationing, family time, etc. Winter time tends to be the best time for contests, as a lot of people are stuck inside.