Coasters, or more?

• Strictly Coasters

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Fairground rides, coasters, the lot!

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Okay, whilst looking at Ollie's current project I had a thought.

Should people stick to making roller-coasters in No Limits, or should it be more vague.

I for one love 3Ds. I love a track that has really immersive 3Ds themeing. It adds to the coaster, and doesn't make it too much like RCT3, afterall, it is a coaster simulator.

Ollie is creating a Ghost House, and to my knowledge, they are not coasters, so while he is using No Limits to create this well themed Ghost House, is it better off in RCT3, or just a model created on Wings or something?

I know that even if a track has really good 3Ds, I will rate the track more than that. If the track is no good, then the 3Ds have no purpose, at the end of the day, it's a Roller-coaster simulator, not a theme park/fairground ride simulator.

What are your thoughts?

P.S...this isn't an attack on Ollie, it's just his ride made me think about it!

jokerman

Giga Poster
What Ollie is doing is essentially creating a model using 3Ds, but is clevery using a piece of software he is good with to provide a POV of the model. I don't think it matters what NoLimits is used for in some circumstances, it will still always be primarily a coaster game. Don't worry that everyone will forget what it was designed for.

Ollie

CF Legend
If the technology is there to create more than coasters then people can be creative with it and make something different. If I wanted I could of used built in recordings of the 3d objects to make it without the use of NoLimits. But the program allows me to make a fully functioning ghost train so why not use it to create something different not done before.
People like new and creative Ideas and everyone's getting bored of the same coaster types and layouts being made on NoLimits so I decided to make something that hasn't been done before.

So I reckon you should be able to do what you want. It allows you unlimited freedom with the scenery which tycoon 3 does not and you can also make more complex layouts.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
jokerman said:
What Ollie is doing is essentially creating a model using 3Ds, but is clevery using a piece of software he is good with to provide a POV of the model. I don't think it matters what NoLimits is used for in some circumstances, it will still always be primarily a coaster game. Don't worry that everyone will forget what it was designed for.

I don't worry for that. It's just we're not rating a roller-coaster in this instance, we're rating a model, so it shouldn't really be in the No Limits section, as people go on there to see and rate coasters.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
If the technology is there to create more than coasters then people can be creative with it and make something different. If I wanted I could of used built in recordings of the 3d objects to make it without the use of NoLimits. But the program allows me to make a fully functioning ghost train so why not use it to create something different not done before.
People like new and creative Ideas and everyone's getting bored of the same coaster types and layouts being made on NoLimits so I decided to make something that hasn't been done before.

So I reckon you should be able to do what you want. It allows you unlimited freedom with the scenery which tycoon 3 does not and you can also make more complex layouts.

It's not that I'm saying you're not allowed to, I just think that it should be classed as it's own thing, and thus be rated for that, so not be in the No Limits coaster section of the forum.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just because it's called NoLimits Coasters doesn't mean you can't build something else.
What about 'Roller coaster' Tycoon? Just because it has the word roller coaster in the titles doesn't mean you can only build coasters in it.
Even the NL creators released fairground rides to control so why not combine the two?

Ollie

CF Legend
Uncle Arly said:
It's not that I'm saying you're not allowed to, I just think that it should be classed as it's own thing, and thus be rated for that, so not be in the No Limits coaster section of the forum.
Obviously you can't rate it as a coaster as it's not one and you've got nothing to compare it to as it's not been done before.
Which means it'll be a standalone project and will hopefully inspire people to think outside the box more when making rides.
I don't want it to be rated like a coaster. Rather for what it is on it's own.
You haven't seen the layout indoors anyway. You're just judging the ride from looking at the building exterior.
It also has a drops and hills anyway like all two floor ghost trains do.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
Just because it's called NoLimits Coasters doesn't mean you can't build something else.
What about 'Roller coaster' Tycoon? Just because it has the word roller coaster in the titles doesn't mean you can only build coasters in it.
Even the NL creators released fairground rides to control so why not combine the two?

But that was a separate game.

I' just trying to make a differentiation between and model, and a coaster. I think it's unfair for people who ake coasters to get overlooked as somone has made a brilliant track with 3D's...yet it's not even a roller-coaster.

I think, that there could be sub-forum within the No Limits forum itself. That way, this type of project can be viewed for what it is, and get credit for that, instead of it being labelled an amazing roller-coaster, cos' it's in the coaster section.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Why make a whole sub forum for a single ride?
It's made using NoLimits which is why it's in the NoLimits section of the forum.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
^Why make a whole sub forum for a single ride?

Because you said...

Ollie said:
Obviously you can't rate it as a coaster as it's not one and you've got nothing to compare it to as it's not been done before.
Which means it'll be a standalone project and will hopefully inspire people to think outside the box more when making rides.

A

Anonymous

Isn't "NoLimits Coaster" just the name of the software??
I have seen several other uses than "just" coasters. One have even made a Log flume out of it...

I have no problem about people finding new ways to use the program though, and a Ghost train is a pretty shrewd way of using the software. Heck people even complains about "Power Coaster" aren't "real" coasters, but there is some that have recreated "those" rides in NL as well (one is even included in NL) but I don't care about that either...

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
There were only two options on the poll and I chose the former, because whereas I think it's great to be creative with no limits, I wouldn't want it turned into another RCT. I think better categories for the poll would be 'Non flat rides only' or 'Flat rides only'. The thing I have against a simulator having flat rides is that there's no creativity or skill involved in plonking a roundabout down and colouring it. However, non-coaster, non-flat rides which require track like log flumes are fine because you need some creativity to make them a good ride or a bad ride.

I guess if you could actually model and design new breeds of flat rides, then they could be put into simulation software, but no limits is kind of geared towards creating tracked rides, so flat ride designing would require basically a completely different type of program...

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Hence I'm fine with it.That was the point I was making -
Tracked rides = rides you DESIGN = creative = good for a design simulator.
Flat rides = rides you just PLACE = little creativity involved = no real design stage, therefore not good in a design simulator.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Uncle Arly said:
I don't think it matters too much. These sorts of rides would be made too rarely for a subforum to get enough topics.
It might as well go in the main NL forum...Even though its not a coaster people who own the game will no doubt be curious enough to download it (Coaster enthusiasts tend to be interested in other types of rides too anyway)

These sorts of topics (Tools or not is another one) make me :roll: anyway, It's a game, people should be free to use it how they want to reach their creative ends.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with Ollie here. I'm currently in progress with a project that's even less about coasters than Ollie's, but I still use NL. Why? I like to build 3Ds, and if I manage to plonk a coaster track in it, however bad it will be (very), I may still publish it and perhaps get constructive feedback on the 3Ds. The way I'm building, I have problems putting it all in a single .3Ds or .wings-file, but I can put the stuff into NL and look at them together there.

I'm all for bypassing the restrictions of the game to make something more creative. Log flume? Yes, please. F1 track? Awesome! Heck, you can even make a Teacups ride of sorts, or a drop tower, or even bumper cars. I'm all for using NL to make coasters, but it's also very cool if somebody manages to build more. Just the fact that the game is about coasters, doesn't mean you can't make other things with it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't see the issue? The game would very dull if it was only just about coaster tracks all the time. It's a little anal really to just stick to the remit of the game.

I love the idea of using it as the base tool in the middle of a creative design. Those who love tracks can still criticise the trackwork (if you can). If you can't, then ignore the project. Give it a 0/10 because it's not a coaster - whatever you feel like :)

However, it's good that people are being creative and working on expanding and developing the game beyond its natural boundaries. Why not? And as has been said, the projects like this are so few and far between, meh?