What's new

NL competition 6 2013 - Spread 'em

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
...Your wings...**** perverts.

dchjd0h0o000s9g1mkb6g5.jpg

7g3600272c0dl2pgj8pp7j.jpg

One of the most sought after sensations of modern day roller coasters is the feeling of flight. Designers have expanded their arsenals to allow for floorless trains, inverted roller coasters, lay down and flying roller coasters, and most recently, wing coasters. Unfortunately, NL does not have a wing coaster design and probably won't until NL2, but it does have the Vekoma Flying Dutchman. Build a roller coaster that takes the greatest things from flying coasters (Vekoma, B&M, and Zamperla) and the greatest things from wing coasters (B&M, Intamin, and don't forget about Arrow/S&S) and mush them together. There is a catch though.

There are 20 windows in the template. Each window corresponds to one bonus point. Thread the track through a 5x5 meter window to receive a bonus point. The more windows, the more bonus points. A fair warning - this competition is about balance. If you focus too much on the bonus, your layout will lack and if you ignore the bonus, you obviously lose points.

Rules:
-No tools
-No 3Ds
-Do not move the windows. We are going by honors system, but if I get suspicious, I will know.

Ctrl+g and iSmooth are encouraged. Judging criteria is the same:

Technique - 10 points
Realism - 10 points
Originality - 10 points
Adrenaline - 10 points
Aesthetics - 5 points
User ratings - 10 points
Bonus - 20 points

Total - 75 points

Due date: July 9th, 2013

Please send all tracks with your USERNAME to marcantinossi [at] gmail [dot] com.

Template download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ryuvuqr7j74ywge

Good luck to those competing! If anybody has any questions, ask in the topic.

Jer

Strata Poster
Way to alienate the new guys Marc, real nice, anyway, I take back what I said, I will have an entry, ill try and take my time with it.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
If any of the windows we don't use show up in the tunnel test as collisions, should we delete those, or just leave them there so that you'll know we didn't move any of them? Just wondered if they'd be treated as collisions or as objects that wouldn't be there in real life.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Just leave them, but try and design your track so there's no obvious collisions. I'm not going to care if half a support is in a tunnel wall.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I haven't received any tracks yet. I must have really stumped some of you guys, or at least Jer. He usually sends me a track first.

Jer

Strata Poster
Haha my track is nearly done, I have to finish my supports first, only one turn to go. I;m just too lazy to do it.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
I'm in the last-minute club as well. This time I didn't have as much time for all the fancy stuff, so I just tried to come up with something to keep up my participation, support, etc. What I was a little bit surprised about was that on the Flying Dutchman coasters they gave us with NL (Steel Falcon and Flying Dutchman, anyway) the seats fold down at the beginning of the lift, and then fold back up on the last brake segment before the station. I would think any coaster with movable seats would have them in position before the ride begins, and stay that way until it ends. Of course, the only flying coaster I've experienced first-hand is S:UF at SFOG, so maybe I'm just going by that, but it's what I thought I should do on mine. Anyone actually been on a Vekoma Flying Dutchman? I understand there are just a few left now.

If there are any others still finishing up entries, I hope you make it "under the wire!" :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^I've been on all three flying dutchmans. All three trains fold down in the station. It's just an NL quirk having the track fold down in its current fashion.

Just so everybody is aware of what is going on, I am planning on rolling out these results asap. I will post the Rider's Choice sometime Tuesday night and I will probably post the results Wednesday night. Also, expect contest 7 later this evening.