What's new

NHL Lockout 2012

Luxornv

Mega Poster
I wanted to see how many other hockey fans are here, and how they are dealing with the lockout. Not much to say about this, games have already been cancelled, and I'm extremely disappointed as a fan. This just seems ridiculous that they have to do this. This makes 3 of the big 4 sports to be locked out in the last 2 years. At least the NFL was able to figure things out in the offseason well in advance of their season. The NBA at least was able to get something done to salvage last season. As for the NHL, I'm hopeful, but not anticipating any hockey this season. Bettman has now presided over 3 lockouts and has lost at least 2 seasons worth of play. Only the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1919 kept the Stanley Cup from being awarded, and the NHL continued to play through both the Great Depression and WWII despite severe financial straits for many teams.

Being in Chicago, I was able to attend the Champs for Charity game last Friday night which was basically an all star game. It wasn't a real game, and a lot of trickery by all involved, but it was still fun to see some hockey this season. I'll probably be out in Rockford a few times this year since the Blackhawks' AHL affiliate plays there. I'm just disappointed that there likely won't be any NHL hockey this season. It was nice to have a summer and winter hobby. I follow NHRA in the summer, along with periodic visits to different parks to ride coasters, and can settle down with hockey once those end for the season.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this or have any other suggestions to deal with the lack of hockey?

I'll admit, I did do some fact checking on Wikipedia for parts of this post.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
It really is disappointing I have started to really get into hockey the past couple of years and really hoped they would reach some sort of agreement. I think it would take a miracle for them to come to some sort of agreement because I haven't really herd any positive news about the lockout. Im from MA but I'm a Blackhawks fan and every year I've been watching more and more hockey but Its starting to look as though I won't be watching any. :\

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The NHL just shot itself again. Since the cancelled season they have worked back into relevancy, only to pull this **** again, and now they lost a lot of those fans again. I lost interest since it wasn't there for a year, (was it five or six years ago? I can't recall) and I was slowly getting interested again, but this killed it.

What were the reasons for this lockout? Was the realignment one of them? That was probably the thing I found most interesting about the NHL recently.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The reason for this lockout is that there are a few owners of smaller clubs who just want more money and are ruining it for the rest of people. Bettman is basically siding with them from what I understand. It's really childish and sad.

The players want to play and a lot of the owners want hockey back. The Elitch family (I'm a Detroit fan) has publicly stated that they don't care about more money and want to come to an agreement quickly.

Luckily for me, I'm attending Michigan Tech and hockey is the sport up here. The only problem is the school decided to get smart and limited free student tickets to 750. If you aren't there when they're first released, you have to pay $5.00. I know it's not much at all, but I didn't pay for a single hockey game last year because they did not enforce this policy. Luckily, the Huskies have improved over last season, so the games are always worth it.

Snoo

The Legend
It's a shame. At least basketball realized the relevancy.. but to keep the public interested.. they def need to avoid **** like this.

bmac

Giga Poster
Watching KHL on Russian streaming sites, because honestly I doubt these issues will be solved in time to salvage the season.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
bmac said:
Watching KHL on Russian streaming sites, because honestly I doubt these issues will be solved in time to salvage the season.

At least until the lockout is settled, the KHL is being broadcasted occasionally on ESPN in the US.

Also, I had a random Stanley Cup sighting yesterday. Denis Savard's charity was able to get the Cup and brought it out to Elmhurst, IL. I work only a few minutes away, so I stopped on my way home and also got to meet the Blackhawks' head coach, Joel Quennville.

183888_10151081285451682_140209946_n.jpg

I had my fake Hjalmarsson jersey on, and Q actually commented that it was a unique choice since he doesn't see that many of them. This was the 2nd time I had seen the Cup. I saw it once in 2010 after they won it. It was at a bar near my house and was an absolute madhouse when it got there. My car had gotten boxed in because so many people came to see it and were just filling the lot in any way possible. This was much less insane and I got through the line in 20 min. Looks like this may be the only NHL action I see this season.

bmac

Giga Poster
Well the way things are looking my KHL streaming proposal has gotten traction among my fellow hockey enthusiasts on campus, but in all seriousness I probably will end up speaking russian for about a week after the lockout has ended.

BBH

Giga Poster
Simply put, for me, this lockout is HELL, since the BH of BBH stands for BHawks, an abbreviation of Blackhawks.

:facepalm: I'm doomed.