What's new

Next rides on the chopping block?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
We all love to see the opening of a new and shiny ride at our favourite parks. What an addition! Look at those lines! A ride for the ages! But before you know it, 25 years have passed and the ride is suddenly a quarter of a century old. The park has grown around it, guests have become bored with it, maintenance costs keep rising, and wear and tear makes the ride even more shabby each season. It still works fine - well, fine-ish - and may grow a bit of a queue on crowded summer days, but it's evident that the park could clearly use the space for something better, and evidence suggests they'd be willing to spend the money to do so as well.

This is the thread dedicated to spotting those rides. The ones that by this point might have a few seasons left in them, but are clearly on the way out or due for a major overhaul. The parks may not have made any statements yet, but rumours are circulating and the writing is clearly on the wall.

Do you have any examples of such rides? When we briefly talked about this on the CoasterForce Discord, two examples were brought up. The first, and arguably most rumoured-about, is Tomorrowland Speedway at Magic Kingdom. It takes up an ungodly amount of space, is noisy and smelly, and the time when gasoline-powered cars evoked images of the future is long since gone. Having all those individually powered cars must be a bit of a maintenance nightmare as well.

Another one those eminent Discorders mentioned is Wicked Twister at Cedar Point. This mechanically complicated electricity-guzzler of a ride sits relatively lonesome along the beach at the Point, next to a recently demolished stadium, and ostensibly hardly ever pulls a queue these days despite its quite low rider capacity (1000 pph, according to Wikipedia). There must be a reason why Intamin never sold any more Impulse Coasters after 2003, and Cedar Point might know that reason all too well. With limited ridership, high running costs, and the area it sits in due for an overhaul, it looks like Wicked Twister is on its last legs. Hard to tell what might replace it, though, as it is very space-efficient after all.

Can you think of any other rides whose time may be running out?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ooh great idea for a thread!
^I still don't have one of those Intamin impulse coasters, so I'm hoping Wicked Twister doesn't get spited in the next 3 weeks! :eek:

One particularly sobering thought is that, apart from Runaway Train, Alton Towers' oldest coaster is Nemesis. Does that mean it'll be one of the next ones to go?? I mean, it doesn't even draw much of a queue these days unless the park is rammed.
What if metal fatigue starts setting in, as it did with Hulk and Duelling Dragons? Hell, they weren't even as old as Nemesis. Scary sh*t, man.
Thankfully though, I reckon the next coaster to leave the Towers could well end up being The Smiler. One more incident, however minor, and it's gone.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Ooh great idea for a thread!
^I still don't have one of those Intamin impulse coasters, so I'm hoping Wicked Twister doesn't get spited in the next 3 weeks! :eek:
They aren't great anyway, won't be missing out on much. CP always closes coasters at the end of a season anyway.

One particularly sobering thought is that, apart from Runaway Train, Alton Towers' oldest coaster is Nemesis. Does that mean it'll be one of the next ones to go?? I mean, it doesn't even draw much of a queue these days unless the park is rammed.
What if metal fatigue starts setting in, as it did with Hulk and Duelling Dragons? Hell, they weren't even as old as Nemesis. Scary sh*t, man.
Hulk and DD ran a stupid amount of hours though, Nemesis will last at least double the amount of time that those did.
Thankfully though, I reckon the next coaster to leave the Towers could well end up being The Smiler. One more incident, however minor, and it's gone.
This would be the ideal scenario, but I think it will be Spinball as it will most likely go for Cbeebies expansion at some point

peep

CF Legend
The first, and arguably most rumoured-about, is Tomorrowland Speedway at Magic Kingdom. It takes up an ungodly amount of space, is noisy and smelly, and the time when gasoline-powered cars evoked images of the future is long since gone. Having all those individually powered cars must be a bit of a nightmare as well.

As much as I'd love to see these rides disappear into the Disney history books I think they'll be around for a long time. I recently saw Disney goons suggest that maybe they'll slightly change the ride type soon to something like a slot-car ride or just electric vehicles. Disney really don't know what to do with their Tomorrowlands any more (costs too much to keep them updated enough to keep up with current futuristic ideas), there are constant Disney chatter about the Cali and Orlando ones getting updates but it all seems a little slow-moving.

Universal parks will probably remove some things in the next few years, all 4 resorts struggle with expansion space so they live in a similar situation to Phantasia. In Orlando KidZone has long been rumoured to be removed for Nintendo (sounds like plans have changed) and the Fear Factor Live theatre is rumoured to go for more Potter. There was a rumour some time back that even Mummy was considered for removal.

I think both Singapore and Osaka parks will remove something soon, Osaka has been on a huge expansion frenzy and they'll need to take something out after Nintendo opens to make room for anything else.

I can't think of any other rides that could soon end up going but it's certainly an interesting question/topic.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
That's an interesting topic indeed!

Spinball at AT is getting axed for a Cbeebies expansion soon, followed by Runaway Mine train.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
To be quite honest, I don't really expect Jungle Cruise to stay around forever in its current form either. At least not the WDW one, I can't speak for the others, but can't see them being much different:
  • First off, the ride is pretty big. As in, roughly as big as the rest of Adventureland put together (sans Pirates of the Caribbean, of course). In the park, only Tomorrowland Speedway and Big Thunder Mountain rival its acreage.
  • Second, it's portrayal of native cultures is... uhh, not that fortunate in this day and age.
  • All the individual boats make maintenance a bit of an issue.
  • The lack of a centralized control system also makes it prone to stacking or potential accidents. Having to steer the boat while speaking puts a toll on the skippers too.
  • It requires a lot of cast members to operate, and they all need high levels of training.
  • And biggest of all, for such an international park: It relies completely on all riders being able to understand fast-spoken English over the sound of the (combustion) engine. I consider myself fairly familiar with English, but I had a lot of problems keeping up with the skipper, and probably missed half the jokes.
Wikipedia says Jungle Cruise will be redesigned to fit with the release of a film adaptation starring Dwayne Johnson. My guess is that this will be done to milk a temporary cash cow and strip off some layers of nostalgia from the ride, so it will soften the blow of the ride's eventual removal a few years later.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Temple of the Nighthawk at Phantasialand can't be around for much longer in its current state. Spinball and Rita come to mind for Towers, I'd say Galactica but it probably has a few more years in it yet after the money they've spent on the 'retheme'. I'd also love to see Colossus at Thorpe removed for some lovely big airtime machine.

Matt N

CF Legend
I would have said X at Thorpe... but they rethemed that to The Walking Dead: The Ride. So that's not going any time soon.

I also reckon Flying Fish at Thorpe doesn't have a lot longer left before it's replaced with a better family coaster. It's 35 years old now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it might be a clone of Scorpion Express at Chessington. Or at least a near-clone, anyway. Also, many believe that the ride is presently far inferior to what it was in the 1990s and early 2000s due to lack of landscaping.

Now feel free to berate me for this, but I reckon Scorpion at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay might be on its way out soon. I know it's a Schwarzkopf, who have some sort of god-like worship among enthusiasts, but it's nearly 40 years old now and they could probably build a better compact coaster on the land it takes up. Also, I didn't even really notice this ride when I was at Busch. I might have briefly glanced at it while we were queueing for Falcon's Fury, but as I was trying to rush around the park's larger rides, I sort of forgot about Scorpion, if I'm being honest.
P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
P.S. Sorry for the long post.

That's not a long post. We've seen much longer ones on here.

As for Scorpion, I think there is one caveat: The park's willingness to invest in a replacement. Apparently, the Busch Gardens parks aren't doing too well these days, it's been said that Gwazi is only standing because knocking it down would cost money the park could spend better elsewhere. It might be better to just keep Scorpion running until it starts failing the annual safety inspections, just because the alternative is a big, fat zero.

It's the same reason why my home park, TusenFryd, is still keeping around Loopen, its 1987 Vekoma Tornado. It keeps running despite riding like a train wreck, because there's no money to invest in a replacement for it. Or, well, there is money, the park makes record profits, but the chain would rather send it to Madrid to buy swimming pools for the shareholders than actually investing it anywhere.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Here's a small list of rides which I don't think will be around in 5 years. They may get redeveloped or, most likely, replaced with a couple of HB Leisure units.

Flying Fish at Thorpe Park
Tomb Blaster at Chessington
Grand National at BPB (I'm amazed that thing is still standing/signed off it's so rough)
Enterprise at Alton Towers
Spinball Wizzer at Alton Towers
Buffalo Coaster at Drayton Manor

I get the impression that Colossus at Thorpe is having some structural issues (they've added some extra inspection pits in the water since the start of the season). As it's a somewhat 'Iconic' coaster in the UK I do wonder how long Merlin will keep it on life support.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Viper at SFMM has been rumored to be on the chopping block for a while. Large plot of land, hillside to allow a height differential, and a prime location. If any coaster at the park were to get axed, this is it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Viper at SFMM has been rumored to be on the chopping block for a while. Large plot of land, hillside to allow a height differential, and a prime location. If any coaster at the park were to get axed, this is it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
What about their mine train? It's in the middle of the park, its layout is really uniteresting and takes a good amount of property. I feel SFMM could use that space for a better family coaster.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Here's a small list of rides which I don't think will be around in 5 years. They may get redeveloped or, most likely, replaced with a couple of HB Leisure units.

Flying Fish at Thorpe Park
Tomb Blaster at Chessington
Grand National at BPB (I'm amazed that thing is still standing/signed off it's so rough)
Enterprise at Alton Towers
Spinball Wizzer at Alton Towers
Buffalo Coaster at Drayton Manor

I get the impression that Colossus at Thorpe is having some structural issues (they've added some extra inspection pits in the water since the start of the season). As it's a somewhat 'Iconic' coaster in the UK I do wonder how long Merlin will keep it on life support.

National is listed and can't be demolished.

Robert.W

Roller Poster
Spinball Whizzer at Alton Towers. The local council are also pretty keen for this rides removal or relocation, so I'd be guessing that this will be Altons next coaster to leave the park. Rita's days are also numbered, I think.

Katanga Canyon is a funny one. The problem is that it is such a well established and popular area of the park, that for it to be worthwhile removing, they would have to do something pretty spectacular with it. In my opinion, there are other areas much more in need of a new ride before they go closing anything in Katanga.