What's new

Newman's Pleasure Gardens

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I finally have something new to show you in Planet Coaster, and while I haven't built an awful lot yet, it's something I'm quite excited about; may I welcome you all to my new exploit in Planet Coaster, Newman's Pleasure Gardens! (and yes, I did just reveal what the N stands for in my username!):
Welcome-Letters.png

As the letters above imply, this park will utilise a lot of the theming from the Vintage Pack. And to be honest, when compared with Worlds of Globala, this is pretty much the polar opposite type of park. While Worlds of Globala is a massive, themed mega park that's built as if it were being built in 2020, Newman's Pleasure Gardens will be a much smaller-scale park that will utilise the Vintage rides and themes a lot more. This park will be inspired by many of the older, city-centre amusement parks, and it will have lots of more classic rides (e.g. classic wooden roller coasters, old-style flat rides, old-style dark rides etc.). It won't be inherently themed, but I still plan to make it look nice with lots of landscaping and nice lighting & styling. That's not to say that I won't do some more themed rides (for example, I was thinking a ghost train might be a nice addition), and I will still hold myself to high scenery standards, but this park will not be a heavily themed park in the same vein as Worlds of Globala by any means.

I have also used the Scenario Editor in order to give myself significantly less land than I have to play with in Worlds of Globala; I have given myself a 1000ftx1000ft plot of land to play with, which is not very big at all (just under 23 acres). I calculated that the area on offer at Worlds of Globala is approximately 167 acres by comparison, so that park is approximately 7.3 times bigger than this one will be! This park will also be free entry and have a charge per ride, as many of these older amusement parks do. So in summary, this park is pretty much the polar opposite of Worlds of Globala, and while I know you guys seem to like Worlds of Globala on the whole, I wanted to try my hand at something a little different.

So before I waffle on for too long, let me show you what I've built so far. The only thing I've built so far is a path leading up to the entrance of the park. A quirk of customising a plot of land in the Scenario Editor is that it means that if you are building a smaller park, as I'm doing here, you are left with a huge swathe of land outside of the park boundary before you actually reach the park entrance. So instead of just having a bland, empty path leading up to my park's entrance area, I decided to make a garden-style area, with lots of flowers, plants and little bits of vintage theming, to hopefully make for a more interesting experience leading up to entering the park. Here's an overview of what I have built during the day:
Pre-Entry-Area-Aerial-Overview-Daytime.png

And at night:
Pre-Entry-Area-Overview-Nighttime.png

As well as a video overview:
I must confess that I cannot claim credit for the entrance building (that is a fantastic Vintage Entrance blueprint that I found in the Steam Workshop, so I have Frontier to thank for that!), but I did install the planting, letters and other assorted theming along the path, so I have done most of the work here. I hope that what I've shown you so far gives you enough of an insight, and I really hope you like what I've done so far!

So, that's a little preview of my next park project in Planet Coaster; Newman's Pleasure Gardens! I'm sorry I don't have more to show you, but I haven't really had much time on Planet Coaster lately, so this is what I've got so far. I really hope you like what I've done so far, and I hope to bring you some actual stuff within the park itself fairly soon!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but I had something I wanted to ask for you guys’ opinions on.

Because Newman’s Pleasure Gardens will be a pay-per-ride theme park with free entry, I have to think about individual ride pricing, which I have not previously thought about in my other Planet Coaster parks. I’ve come up with a 4-tier pricing system, and I was wondering what you guys’ thoughts on it were:
  • A Tier (headline attractions): £6
  • B Tier (not quite headline attractions, but still major): £4.50
  • C Tier (not particularly major attractions, but not insignificant either): £3
  • D Tier (minor attractions): £1.50
Do you think this is good value, or should I decrease the prices a little? Or should I do the tiers differently? What are your thoughts?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can't speak for the in-game economics of Planet Coaster, but those prices seem reasonable enough for 'real world'. My instinct is to drop the price to £5/£4/£2.50/£1.50, but I have no experience of the game so... :p

Matt N

CF Legend
I can't speak for the in-game economics of Planet Coaster, but those prices seem reasonable enough for 'real world'. My instinct is to drop the price to £5/£4/£2.50/£1.50, but I have no experience of the game so... :p
My economics are pretty poor in-game, to be fair; I’ve operated Worlds of Globala, my other park, for 11 or 12 in-game years thus far, and if this were real-world, then I think I would have been kicked off the land before being able to build a single country, as I’m yet to turn anything other than astronomical losses so far!

Matt N

CF Legend
Right, guys, I can finally unveil some of the first rides at this park! Apologies for the wait; real life kind of got in the way of my Planet Coastering! Anyway, without further ado, let me show off what I've built in the Southwest Corner of the park! (This park doesn't really have themed areas as such, so I'm merely naming each sub-area in terms of its geographical location within the park.)

In terms of rides, we have:
  • Newman's Grand Carousel, a large carousel. This is intended to be a centrepiece of sorts when you enter the park, and while it's not the largest of rides, I tried to give it a bit of a presence for when you enter the park. In terms of pricing, this is a C Tier attraction (£2.50):
Newman-s-Grand-Carousel.png

• Newman's Antique Autos, a vintage cars ride. There's no real theme to this other than a loose car theme, but I tried to make it look pleasant, as though you're travelling through a big garden. This is also a C Tier attraction, although I did contemplate B Tier (£4); what do you guys think?:
Newman-s-Antique-Autos-Queue.png

Newman-s-Antique-Autos-Layout-Overview.png

I also filmed a POV:
  • Newman's Mini Carousel, a smaller carousel. This is a D Tier attraction (£1.50):
Newman-s-Mini-Carousel.png

• Whipcracker, a whip ride. This is a C Tier attraction:
Whipcracker.png

In terms of other things in this area of the park, I also built a restaurant called The Secret Grove, and the area will also play host to the southern station of the Skyride, a chairlift attraction that I will build to the northern end of the park once I've built up there. However, I haven't quite finished the Skyride station yet, so I'll show that off once I've completed the ride up to the northern end of the park.

Finally, here's some overview shots of the area at daytime and at nighttime, respectively:
Southwest-Corner-Overview-Daytime.png

Southwest-Corner-Overview-Nighttime.png

As well as a video overview I filmed:

In terms of blueprints, I must confess that the 2 sets of toilets I built in this area are blueprints from the Steam Workshop, but I built the rest entirely by myself.

So that's what I've been up to in this park for the last little bit of time! I hope you like what I've built so far, and I hope it will be far less time before I can provide you with my next Planet Coaster update! The next thing from this park will be something far more substantial, so stay tuned!

Matt N

CF Legend
Hello all! After what feels like an eternity, I've finally got some new Planet Coaster work to show you! I can only apologise for the wait; real life just got in the way of my Planet Coaster construction!

In terms of what I have for you today, I am ready to unveil the Southeast Corner of Newman's Pleasure Gardens and its contents, which include the park's first two roller coasters! So without further ado, the rides in the Southwest Corner are:
  • Gloucester Hopper, a vintage wooden coaster that is 88ft tall, 3,438ft long and reaches speeds of up to 48mph. This out-and-back woodie is intended to function as the park's icon so to speak, with a sprawling layout that arches right around the back of the park; as such, it is the park's first A Tier attraction (£5). I've also given it its own undercover pavilion, in a similar style to that of the Big Dipper at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I must confess that I think I may have messed up the ride's ending somewhat; my intent when building the layout was to have the ride start off reasonably sedate and get progressively more intense as it went on, but I think the ride's ending with the series of small hills may possibly be a little too intense; sorry about that, everyone:
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I also filmed a POV and some cinematic shots (the POV is at nighttime and the cinematics are at daytime, as I did want to show off the coasters at night):
  • Forest of Dean Flyer, a vintage junior wooden coaster that is 33ft tall, 1,333ft long and reaches speeds of up to 25mph. I made it so that the ride intertwines with the pre-lift and final section of Gloucester Hopper. In terms of pricing, the ride is a C Tier attraction (£2.50):
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I also filmed a POV and some cinematic shots (POV is at daytime, cinematics are at nighttime):
  • Roundup, a rotor. This is a C Tier attraction (£2.50):
[IMG]

• Sunflower Wheel, a junior ferris wheel. This is a D Tier attraction (£1.50):
[IMG]

Finally, here's an aerial overview of the area in the daytime:
[IMG]

And at nighttime:
[IMG]

As well as a video overview I filmed:
Well, that's just about everything I have for you today! I hope you like what's within the Southeast Corner of Newman's Pleasure Gardens, and I also hope that you won't be waiting quite as long for my next Planet Coaster update, whether it's from Newman's Pleasure Gardens or from one of my other parks! And as it's 23rd December; if I don't post anything before, have a lovely Christmas!