What's new

New theme park to feature ‘The Hunger Games’

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Why i do not know but here is the write up from attractions magazine;

Atlanta, Georgia – It was announced earlier this week that a new theme park would be opening just outside of Atlanta, Ga. Avatron Park will exclusively feature the Lionsgate movie property “The Hunger Games” with the possibility of others like “Divergent”, the “Twilight” series, and dance movie “Step Up”.
Park developers have stated this park will be unlike any other with its emphasis on the marriage between technology and entertainment. Vice Chairman James Ram stated, “We are pushing the thresholds of location-based entertainment storytelling like never before, thanks, in part, to our unique combination of experienced creative leadership and technology integration expertise. We look forward to sharing this game changing experience with future guests.”
Without providing a lot of details, it appears their aim is to provide a very individualized interactive experience that will be multimedia integrating Hollywood-styled storytelling and technology, perhaps similar to that of computer gaming. Park officials have stated they want to raise the bar on the current standard of immersive interactivity. This would seem to be aiming high indeed in that the masters of translating movies into theme park attractions includes Disney and Universal. Their latest offerings, such as Harry Potter and Carsland, have set an extremely high standard.
Park president Jo Ram was quoted, “Perhaps what sets Avatron apart is the highly individualized experience we are creating for the end user. Our interactive platforms cannot be replicated to scale inside the home. The goal is to deliver the most technologically advanced and real-time socially engaged, entertainment experience.”
One misconception is that Avatron Park will be the “Hunger Games” Theme Park. Hunger Games is indeed the marquee announced attraction. However, it would be akin to calling Universal Studios Orlando Resort the “Harry Potter Theme Park” which it simply is not. Details will continue to emerge as we approach its current target opening date of 2019.
• Andy Guinigundo is the author of the Out of The Loop column in “Orlando Attractions Magazine”. He lives in Cincinnati, Ohio with his wife and three daughters. He grew up frequenting theme parks around Ohio and making trips to Orlando with his family. While for most of the year, he’s out of the Orlando loop, he tries to visit Florida at least once a year.
- See more at: http://attractionsmagazine.com/loop-new ... plXRT.dpuf

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
This could either be amazing, or be absolute ****.

And we've all seen the RCT3 versions of this, so it better live up to those expectations.

So if possible, a mockingjay B&M Wingrider would be nice.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Most of these movies will be forgotten about in 4 years. Not completely forgotten, but I doubt any will reach classic status even if they are damn good films now.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
How has everyone lost interest now? The final film of the series is literally just about to come out. It will be everywhere within a few days.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
roomraider said:
How has everyone lost interest now? The final film of the series is literally just about to come out. It will be everywhere within a few days.

People generally weren't impressed by the previous film, and I'd not know anyone who is planning to see it, compared to when Catching Fire came about and nearly everyone went to see it. This teen action genre came andis starting to go now, people just aren't that interested in this stuff anymore. Honestly, it's only being helped by the fact it's the last in the series and because they've set it up with Part 1. I'm not saying it's not going to make a decent amount of money, but interest is just going down. This time next year - few people will actually remember these films.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Let's see, that puts the park in District 11 territory?

I posted in the Theme Park Industry News thread a mention of this project by APM's Marketplace, looking into what it takes to make a successful theme park bid with a movie franchise:

Hyde said:
The NPR Broadcast Marketplace penned a neat article on Hunger Games declaring they will be doing various ride types, and discusses with industry experts what it takes to create a theme-attraction with appeal: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/busin ... er-coaster.

The final installment of "The Hunger Games" comes out later in November. But Katniss Everdeen fans take heart: the dystopian book trilogy turned movie empire will live on. In theme parks.

Lions Gate Entertainment confirmed Monday it is developing theme park rides and other attractions based on the "Hunger Games," "Step Up" and "Divergent" movie franchises, along with others in the studio’s portfolio.

If you’re familiar with the "Hunger Games," you know the stories are about children forced to fight each other to the death. How will that translate to a theme-park ride?

“I think it would be quite challenging,” said Phil Hettema, founder of The Hettema Group, a firm that designs themed attractions. He worked for Disney and Universal Studios for years.

“In bringing an intellectual property to life, you need to check the boxes of all of the things that people are most familiar with in that franchise,” he said.

Leave something out, and fans could be disappointed. Fortunately there are plenty of family-friendly themes in the "Hunger Games" stories, like loyalty and skill, Hettema said.

“The ‘killing of children’ box could remain unchecked,” he said.

Movie studios are clamoring to cash in on their intellectual property around the world. There is a Warner Bros. park in Spain with a "Superman" roller coaster. Twentieth Century Fox has a new one coming in Malaysia, with attractions based on movies like "Ice Age" and "Planet of the Apes." Lionsgate is partnering with theme parks in Dubai and near Atlanta, and an “immersive entertainment center” near Macau.

Parks themselves bring in billions of dollars in revenue worldwide, but there is a bigger payoff, said David Cobb with the design firm Thinkwell Group.

“Positive word of mouth, knowing that the brand lives on beyond the movies that you saw — there’s all sorts of reasons for brands to look at the real world as a place for these heretofore ephemeral brands to live,” Cobb said.

That is, if the attractions are done well, said Bob Rogers with BRC Imagination Arts.

“A lot of the studios — at least on their first pass — just think that by licensing their name and their logo and their characters, that causes an attraction,” he said. “Just because you have the characters doesn’t mean you have the ride.”

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Not sure how I feel about this. Either this can work well or completely flop. I didn't like the books as much as I anticipated as I found them a bit bland but the movies were ok, not amazing though.