What's new

New theme park for Rotherham (Gullivers)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I'd personally rather have loads of fab independent/small-chain parks over a country filled with massive expensive chains any day. A park is much more than a coaster selection to me, and I'd rather visit Alton Towers than any Six Flags park.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
ThomVD said:
I'd personally rather have loads of fab independent/small-chain parks over a country filled with massive expensive chains any day. A park is much more than a coaster selection to me, and I'd rather visit Alton Towers than any Six Flags park.

Shame this chain refuses to allow adult only groups in to get the creds...

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I reckon Thom has heard of Gullivers but yeah, they are far from a fab small chain unless you're under 10 (I enjoyed my one and only visit back when I was 6). Paultons is an example of a kiddie/family park done well, they put a lot of effort in with their investments (currently building 2 good Vekoma family coasters) and to my knowledge, don't have any "You must have a kid" rules (though I can see and understand why Gulliver's have chosen to enforce the rule).

ArtyomTDO

Roller Poster
I was pretty excited about a new park being fairly very close to me, but after it's Gullivers? I'm going to be VERY disappointed if it ends up being a kiddy park, I know at 32mil it couldn't live up to a main park but still I wish they didn't just waste my time with it.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
ArtyomTDO said:
I was pretty excited about a new park being fairly very close to me, but after it's Gullivers? I'm going to be VERY disappointed if it ends up being a kiddy park, I know at 32mil it couldn't live up to a main park but still I wish they didn't just waste my time with it.

Welcome to CF! Unfortunately it looks like you will be dissappointed because it will be a kiddy park Im afraid.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Yeah, I didn't include Gullivers when I said "fab small chains", I was talking about Europe in general.

ArtyomTDO

Roller Poster
Ah, that sucks, I was hoping it would be something to get me into coasters, like some small one, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. (Slightly off topic) Also, I see that PortAventura is your favourite park cjbrandy, and I'm heading over there on the 23rd, and I'm a chickenwuss, and get afraid of rollercoasters. How do I work up the courage to get on one? I've ALWAYS wanted to go on one, but the biggest I ever went on was a mouse coaster, and I was young at the time. I just want to conquere my fear of them, and make the theme park trip feel more... Complete.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
ArtyomTDO said:
Ah, that sucks, I was hoping it would be something to get me into coasters, like some small one, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. (Slightly off topic) Also, I see that PortAventura is your favourite park cjbrandy, and I'm heading over there on the 23rd, and I'm a chickenwuss, and get afraid of rollercoasters. How do I work up the courage to get on one? I've ALWAYS wanted to go on one, but the biggest I ever went on was a mouse coaster, and I was young at the time. I just want to conquere my fear of them, and make the theme park trip feel more... Complete.

Nice, PortAventura is definitely a place where you want to make the most of the coasters. If you like I can PM you to discuss further but for now I'll say start small with the kiddy coaster Tami Tami and AVOID Stampida at all costs.

Now you say your going, I want to make it my goal to get you to go on Shambhala! Its truly unmissable

Peet

Giga Poster
Bump - for what it's worth I just took a look at the planning applications. The only ride that we can get a look at is the observation tower:
Capture.JPG
And there's an updated "masterplan" still showing a wooden coaster that appears to be a clone of Antelope:
Capture.JPG

If anyone is interested you can view the application here: https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/2...34/find_and_comment_on_a_planning_application

The main application numbers are RB2016/1454 and RB2016/RB1455.

Say what you like about this project, but new parks opening in the UK are extremely rare, as are new woodies, so personally I think this is great even though I will most likely never visit.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I am fairly certain the woodie is an Antelope clone. This was, at least, the plan earlier this year, and I don't imagine that's changed, nor will it.