What's new

New theme park for Rotherham (Gullivers)

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
The US has the Cedar Fair and Six Flags chains building giant B&M giga coasters and RMCs left, right and centre whilst we have the Gullivers chain... *sigh* I guess they are pretty profitable though if a fourth is getting built.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
^ ik ik, I didn't forget them and whilst they have their strengths, they aren't much to brag about to other countries.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
^Well neither is Six Flags in terms of everything past the coasters.

Trust me, its a lot better than what we have over here. Six Flags have Goliath (SFGA), Iron Rattler, Wicked Cyclone, New Texas Giant, Twisted Colossus, Bizzaro (SFNE), Nitro, EL Toro and thats barely scratching the surface of the decent to excellent coasters Six Flags has.

The only parks in the UK that actually seem to add new major coasters are Alton Towers and Thorpe Park yet Thorpe are building a dark ride so it'll be years before they get a new coaster and whilst Alton Towers has built some good stuff in the past, they are plagued by a sadistic height restriction which really makes things difficult.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
cjbrandy said:
^ ik ik, I didn't forget them and whilst they have their strengths, they aren't much to brag about to other countries.

Even though 6 out of your top 10 are located in Merlin parks? :wink:

cjbrandy said:
GuyWithAStick said:
^Well neither is Six Flags in terms of everything past the coasters.

Trust me, its a lot better than what we have over here. Six Flags have Goliath (SFGA), Iron Rattler, Wicked Cyclone, New Texas Giant, Twisted Colossus, Bizzaro (SFNE), Nitro, EL Toro and thats barely scratching the surface of the decent to excellent coasters Six Flags has.

The only parks in the UK that actually seem to add new major coasters are Alton Towers and Thorpe Park yet Thorpe are building a dark ride so it'll be years before they get a new coaster and whilst Alton Towers has built some good stuff in the past, they are plagued by a sadistic height restriction which really makes things difficult.

And I have to disagree with you on the height thing. They still have thrilling and innovative coasters at 20 metres tall and the restriction works very well for Nemesis and Oblivion. It's unfair to judge Thorpe's new ride as well, considering we have no idea what it is yet.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
elephant58 said:
Even though 6 out of your top 10 are located in Merlin parks? :wink:

Yes but Im still fairly inexperienced. Trust me, if I went to the US and went to a park with a great selection like Hershey Park with Skyrush and Stormrunner or SF Great Adventure with El Toro and Nitro it would change in seconds.

And I have to disagree with you on the height thing. They still have thrilling and innovative coasters at 20 metres tall and the restriction works very well for Nemesis and Oblivion. It's unfair to judge Thorpe's new ride as well, considering we have no idea what it is yet.

Ok fair play on the height thing as I do love Oblivion and I know that I enjoy Nemesis (though my opinion may change slightly next ride as its been well over a year since I last rode that because it **** spited me last time). I suppose it is unfair to judge Thorpe's dark ride at this early stage, it does have a big budget after all but I still clearly remember how incredible Spiderman at IOA was when I was 10 and I highly doubt this will be as entertaining as that ride was.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Also, I said aside from coasters, SF is pretty bad. Are we known for theming? No. Food? Service? Cleanliness? Employees? No, no, no, and no.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
^Also, I said aside from coasters, SF is pretty bad. Are we known for theming? No. Food? Service? Cleanliness? Employees? No, no, no, and no.

Ok I do see where your coming from now, personally theming is just a bonus where its nice if its there but not a major loss if it isn't however if the food, cleanliness and staff are all vile it can certainly detract from the experience.

In addition I just remembered that Six Flags have a bad reputation when it comes to operations... I'd rather have a day out at a park with decent coasters and excellent operations with really short queues than a park with world class coasters that has dire operations and 2+ hour queues.

Ben

CF Legend
Six Flags operations really aren't that bad, everything we rode this Summer was on at least two trains for a major coaster.

They're about as good as say, Alton's or Thorpe's.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Yes but Im still fairly inexperienced. Trust me, if I went to the US and went to a park with a great selection like Hershey Park with Skyrush and Stormrunner or SF Great Adventure with El Toro and Nitro it would change in seconds.

What if you found all of those to be a big disappointment? :wink:

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
elephant58 said:

What if you found all of those to be a big disappointment? :wink:

Technically a possibility but Im not the fussiest enthusiast so its really unlikely, especially with Skyrush and El Toro.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Let's be honest, the coaster line up at most six flags parks beats almost all parks in the UK, maybe towers is better, depending on what you like, but I know I would pick Great Adventure over Towers or Thorpe any day.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster
For ****'s sake, will you stop complaining? Even if the English parks don't have everything you want about thrills and spills, the parks in Mainland Europe do have lots of highly praised coasters. The plane tickets to lets say Gothenburg aren't that expensive, are they? If you're tired of English parks not suiting your needs, you just need to get off your ass and go somewhere. Is it that hard?

Now, can we get back on topic?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Did you even read my post?

If you want to get back on topic, then why didn't you contribute to the topic?
Yay a children's theme park is opening that doesn't let adults in without a child.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
cjbrandy said:

Oh shush.

The US, China, Japan maybe Germany. Those are pretty much the only countries with more big coasters than the UK. That still leaves some 200-odd countries with worse coasters than you.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I think people forget how small the UK is compared these places too, I've never understood why people compare are coasters to America's, the size of North America compared to the UK is crazy.

Ben

CF Legend
^Yes, but not compared to Japan and Germany.

The population of the U.S. is just over triple ours anyway, but their coaster collection is more than three times better.

People that try to justify the UK as anything other than a bit poo for creds are wrong. But, remember, we have Europe on our doorstep and actually leave our country, +1 over the Yanks.