What's new

New Robo-Coaster for Disney's Epcot? [sort of]

peep

CF Legend
I don't know why peeps keep calling these coasters. It is a robotic arm which throws you about. Disney are basically creating a new cyber space mountain (a simulator which makes you feel like you're on a rollercoaster in space which you design yourself before boarding).

Anyways they have been around for ages (article says since 2002) and at Futuroscope in France they have a room with 10 of them in it (it's awesome) and I've heard that Legoland had one as a temporary attraction for an event or something.

I love how the article was edited to say that there is no contract with Universal. I thought that story/rumour was that the contract meant that only Universal can build a rollercoaster with the robo arm attached to it? That whole thing confuses me.

marc

CF Legend
They get called coasters as its the company Robocoaster that do the install. But this ride is being done with Raytheon so maybe thats why they can use them and its a way round the deal.

I find it strange that this 10 year agreement is now being ignored, there was one in place as I have been told by Universal and by Kuka as have people on other sites.

But its also been said parks can buy 2nd hand ones that have been built elsewhere. Maybe Raytheon has stock of the arms.

Disney built the attraction at Epcot and were then told they could build no more due to the deal with Universal. UC knows more about this.

marc

CF Legend
The deal was not signed until 2007 if I remember right.

Its so hard to find any press things, you end up having to call and email the firms and each time you do you get different answers from each of them.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Universal's deal is on Robotic arms attached to a track... anyone can get a "Roboflat" if they like, Weston Pier are. Again, i'd like to point out how low the capacity of these rides are, queues will be hours long or rides seconds short just for it to function.

marc

CF Legend
No the Universal deal is not for that, the Harry Potter ride is not on tracks from whats been said and neither is the car thing in California.

People can buy the flat rides as they are not new technology and can also be bought 2nd hand, thats why parks can get them.

I spoke to a PR guy from Universal and he informed me that they do have a 10 year deal, but people can but old models and 2nd hand one but need to ask permission if they want new ones.

I have spent hours on this stuff speaking to Kuka, Robocoaster as well.

The deal with Universal is with Kuka, for the arm.

Anyway I am not going over the deal anymore, its complicated enough lol.

Reading the web thing again it does not sound like Disney are buying it, it sounds more like this other firm are just doing an exhibit at Epcot.

If you want to understand it better pm me or get in touch with Kuka, Robocoaster or Universal.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Southend_marc you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so the next time you want to make such an assuring post, try not to retrieve the facts directly from your ass.

No the Universal deal is not for that, the Harry Potter ride is not on tracks from whats been said and neither is the car thing in California.

Completely wrong.

The deal with Universal is with Kuka, for the arm.

Well I'll be damned... :roll:

Anyway I am not going over the deal anymore, its complicated enough lol.

Yeah please, just stop there. Please...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So calling Kuka and Universal to get information direct from the people involved is "pulling facts from your arse" is it Mike? Nice!

Obviously, you've done more work on this - I can tell by the added depth you put into your post.

Well done for an offensive post which essentially says

"You're wrong, even though you called the right people to get the correct answers. I'm not going to actually give any information that is correct though".

If you're going to accuse people of not knowing what they're talking about, then back it up with some facts and information of your own - there's no need to be rude and make yourself look like a prick (if you'd come forwards with information then you'd have avoided this).

marc

CF Legend
Mike I would like to know what you have been told please or read please.

Seeing that Universal and Kuka are telling me the wrong thing. Robocoaster are telling everyone different things.

I did not see the cars at Universal on the Backlot Tour move on any track so I dont see how I was wrong there. Also from what I have read on other sites the Harry Potter rides at IoA is not one that moves on rails, do you know different?

The reason why I called these companies in the first place was due to people keep on saying Alton were getting a Robocoaster, so I wanted the facts why they were not.

As Furie has said there was no need for a post like that, you could have just said no and given the information you know as it all helps us understand. I was only trying to help by given information that I have found out but calling England, Germany and the USA.

Makes me wonder why some people bother to find things out and post.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Florida's utilizes the technology in the form of a dark ride, affixed to a bussbar railing. It will move, and will be the first ever installation of its kind.

The Backlot tour's arms aren't part of the negotiation being talked about. Potter is state of the art never before seen technology, while the Fast and the Furious is essentially the same arm located at places like Mt. Olympus and Legoland, only with cars welded to the mandible.

I'm a *prick* and *rude* because the moment you start saying things that are incorrect with such a tone, that information starts spreading like wildfire. You can call Kuka and you can talk to Universal PR all you want, but as of right now Universal PR knows just about as much about the project as you and I do... and whoever you spoke with at Kuka might as well be the 18 year old hot chick working the reception desk, better yet the 69 year old grandma who mistakenly thinks shes working for an autoparts company. And besides all of that, who are they to tell *southend_marc* any information about what they're doing. You don't matter to them, and them telling you anything doesn't warrant them any sort of benefit. Essentially I'm just trying to be logical here.

marc

CF Legend
I asked them what the 10 year deal covered nothing about what rides they are putting in and it took Universal a week to call me back. At no point did I ever mention I was from this site I just said I was a theme park enthusiast.

But its ok I can see where you are coming from, as I said they informed me parks can buy old technology just not the new stuff which I said above anyway.

Robocoaster had already spoken to me once but would not speak to me again due to incorrect information being posted on user forums, which they were going to get removed if possible.

All Kuka said was they have a 10 year exclusive deal with Universal for new technology, again which is what I said.

Maybe I did not make it clear the 1st time, but about the deal I dont think I said anything that was not correct.

Anyway back to this ride going into Epcot its a Disney PR guy saying there is no 10 year deal so does that mean he is wrong as well? I can not find anything from Disney on this new attraction anyway just the link thats been posted in the 1st post.

marc

CF Legend
Yes so thats the way round it then I suppose, have Raytheon bring the ride in?

The PR guy from Disney though in that link said there is no 10 year deal with Universal and Kuka, so what is he going on about?

UC and Mike I am not saying I dont trust you I just wanted to know why I was being told I was wrong after the things I found out that was all, I trusted the companies involved.

Anyway glad its all cleared up.