What's new

New music for Speed of Sound in Walibi Holland

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Phantasialand isn't the only park changing the music of their rides. Walibi Holland has changed it too. Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Vi-v5xW74[/youtube]

I hate it and thought the old one fitted much better. Hello World was so crappy and cheesy that it was fab, this one is just crap period imo. I'll miss singing along with Hello World.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
ThomVD said:
Hello World was so crappy and cheesy that it was fab...
QFT!

Why change this? :?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSgh78EOxLE[/youtube]

It was perfect! :--D

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I agree! Even aside from the amazing cheesiness, the entire build-up was much better, and the suspense before the drop as well. Now it's basically just a random house song playing.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I can see their idea with combining 'drop the bass' part with the actual drop, but it doesn't really seem to work as well as it should. The track they play seems rather poor and screams tacky music selection you would otherwise find on random funfair rides.

I agree with both of you that Hello World suited the ride better. If not else, it did get along better with the overall wacky theme.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm worried that the Walibi branding is fading out, already. The world of Walibi website is gone.

I think removing hello world is to try and cut back on the obviously cheesy made up band thing. Which is a shame, because there was an example that worked really well.

It didn't take off in Holland as well as Belgium in the first place, likely due to the more adult nature of that park overall.

I think they're worried the Walibi rebrand was the wrong direction now. Which is a shame because its unique and wonderful.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Joey said:
I'm worried that the Walibi branding is fading out, already. The world of Walibi website is gone.

I think removing hello world is to try and cut back on the obviously cheesy made up band thing. Which is a shame, because there was an example that worked really well.

It didn't take off in Holland as well as Belgium in the first place, likely due to the more adult nature of that park overall.

I think they're worried the Walibi rebrand was the wrong direction now. Which is a shame because its unique and wonderful.

I think international chains should focus much more on trying to fit the style of the park with the culture of the country. Too often chains just ignorantly assume that if it works in one country, it will work in other countries as well. Just look at Six Flags trying to get into the European theme park industry. They failed completely, because the majority of people here and in Belgium aren't waiting for the American-style parks. In Belgium Walibi works well because it suits their culture, they appreciate the cheesiness and bright colours and characters much more than here in the Netherlands. The reason why Efteling is so incredibly successful in the Netherlands is because it 100% fits in with the Dutch culture. People feel much more at home, and appreciate the atmosphere and style much more, because that atmosphere is very Dutch. The reason why Toverland is doing so well is because they are looking at Efteling, and look at the reasons why that park succeeds here so well. Then they try to apply their own style combined with a bit of the Efteling-ish style. It works.

It's just like how Vliegende Hollander was such a massive success when it comes to attendence. If Merlin ever got in here and built the tallest, fastest and longest coaster in the Netherlands, I highly doubt it would be half as succesful as VH. People want magical, heavily themed stuff here, not record breakers, in contrast with the British culture. Note how Baron is mainly advertised by the theming, story and art direction. I've yet to hear/see Efteling mention that it's the tallest and fastest coaster in Efteling. This is also the reason why I believe Efteling would/will never be succesful in the UK.

I see it like this. Every country has its own culture, and for a park to be succesful, it should adapt to this culture. Walibi Holland will never be successful here because it doesn't fit in the Netherlands, no matter how many rides they will add. Almost everybody I've spoken to despises the Walibi brand in the park, and disliked the Speed of Sound music. Duinrell also tries to be a bit like the Efteling (fairytale parts, more similarities) and is the second most visited park in the country. Slagharen is a dump and lied about their attendence figures, so they don't count.

Tl;dr: Culture is one of the main reasons why some parks are succesful and others aren't imo.

Just my thoughts about the situation.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I am so mad at this decision. I used to love Hello World so much; it was well synched, and although cheesy, it made for a very entertaining and rerideable boomerang ride.

I guess we can always go to Walibi Rhône-Alpes to listen to the original Hello World song on a boomerang. :roll:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
ThomVD said:
Joey said:

I think international chains should focus much more on trying to fit the style of the park with the culture of the country. Too often chains just ignorantly assume that if it works in one country, it will work in other countries as well. Just look at Six Flags trying to get into the European theme park industry. They failed completely, because the majority of people here and in Belgium aren't waiting for the American-style parks. In Belgium Walibi works well because it suits their culture, they appreciate the cheesiness and bright colours and characters much more than here in the Netherlands. The reason why Efteling is so incredibly successful in the Netherlands is because it 100% fits in with the Dutch culture. People feel much more at home, and appreciate the atmosphere and style much more, because that atmosphere is very Dutch. The reason why Toverland is doing so well is because they are looking at Efteling, and look at the reasons why that park succeeds here so well. Then they try to apply their own style combined with a bit of the Efteling-ish style. It works.

It's just like how Vliegende Hollander was such a massive success when it comes to attendence. If Merlin ever got in here and built the tallest, fastest and longest coaster in the Netherlands, I highly doubt it would be half as succesful as VH. People want magical, heavily themed stuff here, not record breakers, in contrast with the British culture. Note how Baron is mainly advertised by the theming, story and art direction. I've yet to hear/see Efteling mention that it's the tallest and fastest coaster in Efteling. This is also the reason why I believe Efteling would/will never be succesful in the UK.

I see it like this. Every country has its own culture, and for a park to be succesful, it should adapt to this culture. Walibi Holland will never be successful here because it doesn't fit in the Netherlands, no matter how many rides they will add. Almost everybody I've spoken to despises the Walibi brand in the park, and disliked the Speed of Sound music. Duinrell also tries to be a bit like the Efteling (fairytale parts, more similarities) and is the second most visited park in the country. Slagharen is a dump and lied about their attendence figures, so they don't count.

Tl;dr: Culture is one of the main reasons why some parks are succesful and others aren't imo.

Just my thoughts about the situation.
Post of the year, tbh!

You're 100% right.

I don't think copying Efteling is the way forward - I think Walibi Holland needs to stand apart and provide an alternative experience, but you're right that it definitely needs to be more in tune with the country it resides in. The problem is that finding out what the Dutch want from Walibi is a game of trial and error. A costly one.

There's no doubt that Goliath is a quality ride that has kept the park from sinking too deep. I'm not saying they need to go back to doing Six Flags style giant rides, but quality investments would be a start, and not desperately trying to retheming their existing lineup of at best mediocre and worst utterly crap hardware. They have the WORST SLC in the world and a boomerang that's only arguable asset was music they've now removed. They implemented the less impressive aspects of the Walibi rebrand whilst leaving the rest of the park looking just like a crap Six Flags (cuz it is....). I genuinely could not believe just how much like a Six Flags it felt everywhere the Walibi rebrand wasn't

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ I think first of all they need to ditch the Walibi theme. It just doesn't work. While I don't have any figures, I feel that the new theme of Xpress is generally liked by the GP. I've heard nothing but praise for it. Heck, judging by comments on their Facebook page I'd almost say Xpress is their most popular ride at the moment. While it's nothing like you'd see in Efteling or Toverland, it's still the high quality theming that makes it stand out. They could focus on a more realistic theme, more mature maybe? Their halloween event is incredibly popular, many people only visit Walibi Holland for that. I think if they look at what makes that event so popular, and if they can apply even a slight bit of that feel and style to the rest of the park, things might start looking up.

However, the big problem with this is that they need to spend most of their budget on re-theming the park AGAIN, without being guaranteed that it will work. They are in a difficult position right now, because the park also needs better rides. They've basically dug their own grave with the Walibi theme. They're focussing on teenagers and thrillseekers, but for starters they should at least have a better coaster selection than Efteling or even Toverland, and they don't. I find that so many of the very target audience they are aiming for would rather do a day Efteling, especially now with Baron. We'll see what they will bring us next year. It would be stupid if they don't build at least a quality ride, and most importantly, it needs theming. That's just how it works over here.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
ThomVD said:
They're focussing on teenagers and thrillseekers, but for starters they should at least have a better coaster selection than Efteling or even Toverland, and they don't. I find that so many of the very target audience they are aiming for would rather do a day Efteling, especially now with Baron. We'll see what they will bring us next year. It would be stupid if they don't build at least a quality ride, and most importantly, it needs theming. That's just how it works over here.

This is totally the situation I've found myself in.

I'm doing Toverland and Efteling in the summer, but not bothering with Walibi Holland. Looking at the line ups between the three parks, Toverland and Efteling have much more to attract everyone in my group than Walibi does, and it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort (and instead we've decided to do a second day at Efteling because it looks much more promising!).

I would like to go to Walibi Holland one day, but at the moment, it just doesn't have the same draw as the other Dutch parks (which I guess is somewhat unsurprising, given the seemingly high quality of them!)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
JoshC. said:
ThomVD said:
They're focussing on teenagers and thrillseekers, but for starters they should at least have a better coaster selection than Efteling or even Toverland, and they don't. I find that so many of the very target audience they are aiming for would rather do a day Efteling, especially now with Baron. We'll see what they will bring us next year. It would be stupid if they don't build at least a quality ride, and most importantly, it needs theming. That's just how it works over here.

This is totally the situation I've found myself in.

I'm doing Toverland and Efteling in the summer, but not bothering with Walibi Holland. Looking at the line ups between the three parks, Toverland and Efteling have much more to attract everyone in my group than Walibi does, and it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort (and instead we've decided to do a second day at Efteling because it looks much more promising!).

I would like to go to Walibi Holland one day, but at the moment, it just doesn't have the same draw as the other Dutch parks (which I guess is somewhat unsurprising, given the seemingly high quality of them!)

Yeah, I'd say you've made the right choice. Walibi Holland has Goliath, which is a really good coaster. Xpress now has an interesting theme and Speed of Sound used to have a good theme as well, but they ruined that now. Aside from those, there's nothing notable really. Just some standard flats, decent water rides and rough coasters. Fun for a day out, but definitely not a priority in the Netherlands.

Efteling and Toverland are much more satisfying parks, and good that you took two days for Efteling. If you're willing to explore the entire park rather than just getting the creds, you'll most likely need it!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I've been staying out of this topic until my anger and despair had subsided somewhat. What a **** stupid idea! Speed of Sound's soundtrack made that ride! Never before had I ever ran back round to re-ride a boomerang!! Don't suppose I ever will again now...

The new music is ok, but just a bit meh really. Stupid Walibi! The only thing they're really good at is re-theming old rides and keeping them going strong. But this is just a bit..weak.

I'm getting rather twitchy about all this reinvention of the Walibi theme. I quite liked the cartoon band stuff, but the parks in general are a real mishmash (traditional bits left over from the old days, garish building fronts from the Six Flags days, and now perhaps odd references to music here and there). Start to take away the only things that really worked and you're left with a bit of a mess.