Which two parks would you choose?

• Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
I'm currently planning an East Coast Trip for Late June next year, including SFGAdv, Dorney, Hershey, Knoebels, and SFNE/Lake Compounce or KD/BGW. Can only do one due to time and money, and I'm wondering which you guys think is better.

I'm most likely going with SFNE/Lake Compounce, just because I want to ride Bizarro and Boulder Dash more than pretty much anything, but i305 is looking pretty awesome and I'd love to go to BGW, so I thought it could make a pretty interesting discussion for those who have been to both areas.

Ben

CF Legend
Hmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

This is actually pretty damn tough. Boulder Dash is AMAZING, the best coaster in the World, and Bizarro is good (amazing if you speak to pretty much anyone that isn't me, so accept I'm in the minority on it! And I still really like it!). But, other than that, there's not THAT much at those parks, though they're both really nice.

As for KD, it's horrid. BUT, Dominator is great, and as you say, I305 is shaping up to be VERY nice. Busch on the other hand is AMAZING. Their B&Ms are awesome, DarKastle rocks, and the park is gorgeous.

Honestly, I'd probably JUST edge it to Virginia. But... DASH....

RCF

Strata Poster
With all the great New England coasters, I would say New England, BUT KD is actually a pretty good park, as it's got Dominator and you have 305 opening up next year. Plus, Busch is a beautiful park and has some great quality rides,a and if you have a thing for B&M's, I suggest you go to Busch.

So Virginia.

I'd say Virginia, because you have a lot of really good coasters, some which are probably amazing (Griffon and I305). New England you have two world renowned coasters but then it's a whole lot of average.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
No way to skip Dorney instead? Hell, I'd even leave out Knoebels as well just to be able to do both Virginia & NE. Right furie?
Anyway, as Ben said, a really tough choice there.
Of course I disagree with Ben about KD being a
icon_censored.gif
park & there's more to it than just Dommy & I305. Volcano is a fun Intamin launcher & they have a top notch drop tower. Busch is probably the most gorgeous park in the US & they have some classic coasters in Apollo's Chariot & Nessie (too bad Big Bad Wolf is no more) in addition to two monsters in Griffon & Alpie. They also have they best dark ride: DarKastle!
NE England really only offers the best woodie & steel coasters on the planet, but you can do both parks in one day (SFNE during the daytime & Lake Compounce after 5pm when they offer a reduced entrance fee). There isn't much to SFNE other than Bizarro and the sky swat. The park itself is quite forgettable. Lake Compounce is a unique little park & the oldest in the country. In addition to Boulder Dash it has a classic woodie, a nice boomerang, a great dark shooter and fun swing in Thunder 'n Lightning (though not as big as CP's Skyhawk). If you arrive at 5pm you'll be able to get everything in and have have plenty of time for Boulder Dash re-rides in the dark.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I'd pick Virginia if I had the choice.

Sure Bizarro and Boulder Dash both look amazing but both the parks they are in look a bit average. BGE looks like an amazing park with great theming and landscaping and all the 3 B&M's look amazing.

Kings Dominion looks like a pretty good park too especially with the addition of Intimidator 305. Dominator and Volcano also look like great coasters.

Snoo

The Legend
For the coasters: New England
For the overall: Virginia

Dash, of course, and Bizarro are just plain phenomenal.. but the parks aren't nearly as nice at BGW and KD. I'm sure KD isn't as bad as Ben and the TPR sheep say. :p

I'll see next summer! ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
SnooSnoo said:
For the coasters: New England
For the overall: Virginia

This... Ouch, really difficult choice to make. It's really two amazing coasters versus one amazing park (and one pretty good park).

Now I've done Bizzaro and Boulder Dash, I'd take Virginia again, just because they were brilliant park days (which I favour). However, I'd have probably given them both over to ride Bizzaro and Boulder Dash for the first time. They're two coasters I would have not wanted to miss for anything.

The problem really though is that you won't get as good a "full day of entertainment" out of either SFNE and LC as you would at KD/BGW. So it's really down to how much you want to ride two of the best coasters in the world :)

East Coast(er) General said:
No way to skip Dorney instead? Hell, I'd even leave out Knoebels as well just to be able to do both Virginia & NE. Right furie?

And yes! :) Though maybe if they could get Flying Turns open, I'd be tempted back to Knoebels

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'm going to side with everyone here, but for slightly different reasons:

Virginia. By a landslide.

Busch Gardens seals the deal by itself, as it's an amazing park.

KD is good too, Volcano and Dominator are both great, and as mentioned, I-305 is on the way and is sure to be a great addition to a large lineup.

6FNE, while I like the park, and Bizarro is good(it's in my top ten, but not top 5), sure but I'm guessing that I-305 will be a more than suitable trade-off.

As for Lake Compounce? Eh. It's a nice enough park, I guess, but it doesn't really hold a candle to either KD or BGW. Boulderdash is a good goaster, for sure, but after you've ridden it a dozen or so times, there isn't much else to do in the park.

I do like Jerry's suggestion:

Drop Dorney. It's such a mediocre park. Talon is great, and Steel Force and Hydra are good too, but...

You CAN easily do 6FNE and LC in a day. They are really close together, too. Then you can have the two all-star coasters AND the better overall park selection.

Do NOT drop Knoebels' though. You mentioned staying within budget and it's a great park that will NOT break the bank. Don't just judge it by its coasters like I did the first time. Soak up the vibe of the place. It's really got something special in the atmosphere, and it's got some really good coasters, too.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Going with New England. I have the opportunity to ride two of the best coasters on the planet; I'm not going to pass it up. Besides, I can see myself finding BGW's B&Ms overrated.

I would much rather do New England and Virginia and take out Knoebels and Dorney, but that doesn't really save me any money...Virginia adds another huge drive, plus the expensive BGW admission. Dorney and Knoebels are also the center of the trip and are two half-day parks, so that also saves a day.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Dorney can take a while, and don't sell Knoebels' short...

Also, LOL at you going with the exact opposite of what everyone suggested.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
^ I'm actually surprised everyone on here voted Virginia. Like I said in my first post, I had pretty much decided on New England; I just thought this would be a fun debate.

Snoo

The Legend
^I'm a little biased based on the fact BGW is my favorite park and the fact I haven't been to KD.. but that'll change next summer.

A

Anonymous

Being from Virginia and having ridden the coasters at BG and KG, I would go for Six Flags. There is no doubt that BG is beautiful, and KG has some fun coaster, but the coasters at KG have way too long of a line and are way too short.