What's new

Nemesis Inferno Simulator

Peter

Hyper Poster
dnk03r.png

2eob6us.jpg

Anyone remember this, click me? :wink:

I always said i'd get around to making another game, and for the past few months i've been teaching myself a bit more programming and learning 3D gaming, and this is what i've come up with so far!

I've stared a Nemesis Inferno Simulator (if you hadn't guessed already) which, this time, is all in 3D glory! Why N:I? Two reasons really, one being that its the ride i've ridden most and hence I have a reasonable knowledge of how it runs, and second, it's a popular and well known ride in the UK.

The simulator isn't finished yet, and probably won't be this side of summer. Its alot more full on than my Cobra simulator, and I want it to be perfect when it comes out, with an actual gameplay element, targets and maybe levels, rather than just a load and dispatch routein.

As the operator of the ride, you'll have full control over everything, including:

• Individual rows of restraints.
  • Open/closing Air Gates.
  • Dispatching the ride.
  • Controlling ride music.
  • Controlling lighting in the station.
  • Adding or Removing trains from the track via the transfer track.
  • Emergency Stops.
  • Random breakdowns (This is supposed to be Thorpe!)
  • Fully working control panel.
...and probably alot more that I can't remember off the top of my head. More will added to this list as I work them into the game, and some I might leave a secret. :wink:

I'll say this now, before anyone asks me, but you will not be able to leave the station area and view the actual ride layout. The main reason for this is that it would require the addition of physics and more complex 3D modelling, which is beyond what I am able to do. The only part of the ride outside of the station which you will be able to view is the transfer track.

The simulator will have to be downloaded and installed onto your hard drive, just like the Cobra Simulator was, since its using the same game engine. It will only run on Windows, so apologies to all you Mac and Linux people out there.

Over the next months as the game develops i'll update the status on here, and post more images and previews, and keep people informed as to what is going on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmzqDog9-P8&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Note that currently, all of the objects and textures are temporary. I know that the textures are wrong in places, and stuff looks very blocky. It will all be changed for the final release. The reason the ride is currently assisted by 2 US army guys is that it was the only decent animated model I could find, without creating my own (which I will do closer to release.) :lol:

What i'm looking for from you guys is any tips, pointers, stuff that you would like to see added to the game, stuff like that. If you have any suggestions, please shout now. Its easier to add stuff in at the moment when i'm in the early stage of development.

Also, if anyone is good at 3D modelling (like Wings 3D e.t.c) and/or texturing, and would like to help out with that stuff, then please get in contact over PM or MSN. I can write the code alright, but my artistic skills when it comes to modelling and texturing is only average.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Looks great!

If you're not up to making the entire ride in 3d, you could include a "map" type view from the control panel which shows the trains go around an overhead view of the ride!

Peter

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the comments so far guys. Its going to be a while before its released though. :lol:

If you're not up to making the entire ride in 3d, you could include a "map" type view from the control panel which shows the trains go around an overhead view of the ride!
I was thinking of something similar to that, but also want it to be realistic. In a control panel you'd only see what block the train is in - not its actual position on the track. Since N:I track is mainly just 1 block segment, its not going to show where the train is with enough resolution.

I can't think of any other way to show the position of the train though, so I will probably just settle with the method you suggested.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Do they have CCTV cameras watching parts of the track? If so you could let the player view some prerendered videos of the ride going round? Alternatively, you could go and film some cool views of the ride, and display them on a monitor as it goes round. You can't get any more realistic than that!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
They would have CCTV but that would be on a separate screen. As for the block sections, you'd know where the trains are on the lift, and the 2 break runs in and then the station.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The real life ops on NI aren't generally as military I've always found ;)

Looks great Peter :)

Peter

Hyper Poster
The reason for the military op's is that I havn't got round to making my own custom people yet. I'm working on getting the code done first, then i'll go around and tidy it up by putting proper textures, objects e.t.c. in. The animation you see of the guy closing the restraint is actually an animation of being shot in the stomach, played really slowly. :lol:

I think i've decided that I'm going to add a GUI at the top (or bottom) of the screen, which will show you the position of the train(s), along with controls for stuff like the camera e.t.c.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If there's no copyright stuff that you should care about, I'd say keep the military. It's always fun when obscure people operate rides (put in the Pope if you can).

And this looks very good, with some polishing, it could be pretty awesome.

Slash

Giga Poster
I can just imagine that Poke, Nemesis Simulator featuring THE POPE!

Let your holiness strap you in to the machine of redemption (what nemesis means) and let him burn you with the volcanic heat of the devil...

I'm not sure this is a job suited for the Pope

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Slash said:
Let your holiness strap you in to the machine of redemption (what nemesis means)

Not in the UK :p

The ENGLISH Dictionary said:
Definition
nemesis Show phonetics
noun [C] plural nemeses LITERARY
1 Someone's nemesis is a person or thing that is very difficult for them to defeat.

2 (a cause of) punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided:
The tax increases proved to be the President's political nemesis at the following election.

And don't even get me started on parthanogenesis :p (hurrah, Furie knows words spell checkers don't :lol: )

Sorry... Minor hijack there Peter :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
If you want me to make objects and scenery in Wings 3D for you then I'm well up for it. :)
Looks great so far and is a big step up from your Cobra sim.

Slash

Giga Poster
furie said:
Slash said:
Let your holiness strap you in to the machine of redemption (what nemesis means)

Not in the UK :p

The ENGLISH Dictionary said:
Definition
nemesis Show phonetics
noun [C] plural nemeses LITERARY
1 Someone's nemesis is a person or thing that is very difficult for them to defeat.

2 (a cause of) punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided:
The tax increases proved to be the President's political nemesis at the following election.

And don't even get me started on parthanogenesis :p (hurrah, Furie knows words spell checkers don't :lol: )

Sorry... Minor hijack there Peter :lol:

You just like making a fool out of me don't you Furie? :lol:

Well my definition was part right (Retribution not redemption) as thats what John Wardley said Nemesis meant when he looked it up in the dictionary after suggesting the name.

Here is proof I was slightly right, although you are right, its not English but rather derived from Greek Mythology:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nemesis

Peter

Hyper Poster
... anyway :roll:

I don't think there are any legal issues with using the military guys, since they are a part of a sample media pack that comes with the game development environment i'm using. The sim is going to be free to download, but they're going to be replaced with op's in proper clothes when I get around to it.

Ollie, thanks for the offer, i'll get in contact over MSN.

Rob

Mega Poster
*Ahem*
Furie said:
parthanogenesis

Parthenogenesis

:p

Sim looks great.... Please don't leave us waiting too long, or even worse ditch the project part way through. Your in for the long run. :)

LOL! Wasn't having a good day yesterday. At least I know how to use quotes :p - furie

Haha, I'm just as useless.....

Ollie

CF Legend
Peter said:
Ollie, thanks for the offer, i'll get in contact over MSN.
Alright cool. I can't see anything wrong with the station at the moment though and think it looks great already.

Peter

Hyper Poster
Rob said:
Sim looks great.... Please don't leave us waiting too long, or even worse ditch the project part way through. Your in for the long run. :)

Yes, i'm in it for the long run. :--D

I stuck with my Cobra sim all the way through, and should stick to this one too. Its going to take many more months, as I only code in the odd hour or so that I get free at the mo. Exams arn't helping. :x

The good news is that I fixed the bug that was stopping the textures from showing properly, so now the station looks like this:

n758612976_2048319_962.jpg

... and i've started working on the control panel, which is proving to be a bitch to code.

n758612976_2048320_1421.jpg

Ollie

CF Legend
Wow. That looks super.
Is there any other way you can use this sim instead of downloading it like the last one?

Like can't you put it on an internet page or something?