What's new

Milestones in Your Counts

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The real limiter for me on travel is vacation time. I'm fortunate to have more time-off than most, but do prioritize that time with family. All prospective roller coaster trips this year would tentatively be over weekends.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, that's something I never understood about America. Why do so many people here have only 2 or 3 weeks vacation, depending on how long you've been working for a company?
Hell, they barely give new mothers time off after giving birth and new fathers get **** all.
I guess that growing up and working in Germany spoiled me, but I sure was glad when I came here and got my job at the Associated Press where I started with 3 weeks vacation annually and worked my way up to 48 days off a year over time.

^ Yeah, vacation time in North America sucks. I've found that either you have to have a **** job in like, fast food or something to get as much time off as you want, or get 2-3 weeks off in a legit job.

And kids? I don't see Rob Alvey using that as an excuse.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Robb is also how much older with how many years of a career under his belt? Different salaries for someone working 4 years post degree and 20 years post degree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Darren B

Giga Poster
This may not be a popular opinion, but I believe it's on point.

European members on this site are a lot more well travelled/motivated to get to parks. North Americans in general (bar Taylor & Jerry, maybe others?) don't seem to really look past the States when it comes to coasters which is a shame because it's my firm belief that European parks are, as a whole, much better.

I don't really know why (ok, I get some can't due to children etc.) but most, as Gavin rightly states, put zero effort into travelling to new parks.

Shame, but their loss.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The kids point is a valid one. I have a couple of really young kids (4 and 1), and at this moment in time I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them on a plane for longer than 2/3 hours, so anywhere further than spain/Italy is out.
They also eat into park holiday time, as I have less available time due to using my holiday for family holidays. I try to plan places we can go with a park nearby but not always possible.
Due to their ages, a day at a park currently consists of me running round getting the creds while the wife takes the boy on a couple of flats, she will go on any which takes her fancy, but we can't ride together.
As they get older we will be able to go to further afield places and they will remember the memories, currently they will have no recollection of what we are doing now in 10 years time, and I'm sure they will both enjoy disney/efteling etc a lot more when they are a few more years down the line.

Money is also an issue, we've moved house this year so that's destroyed any expensive trip ideas, but lack of cash is a temporary thing generally if you plan accordingly.

The good think about kids though is all those wonderful kid only parks that I have access too ;)

^ I'm not saying people should take young kids on vacation to theme parks and obviously people have legit reasons to not travel far sometimes, but just in certain people's cases there was a time before they had kids and they still didn't bother really going anywhere. Either way, personal choice. Europe and England are the bees knees so if people wanna be basic and stay stateside that's fine but they're missing out. I do regret not doing more parks the many times I've been over there, but when I go back next year I'll make it more cred based than culture.

Jerry, I'm getting my 400th at over Texas today.

Snoo

The Legend
If a MOD would like to split this topic, feel free. It may be mucking up the joint..

LiveForTheLaunch said:
And kids? I don't see Rob Alvey using that as an excuse.

First of all, his JOB is traveling to amusement parks. While we would all enjoy that kind of luxury, I do not. And lest us not compare anyone who cannot travel because of children to Alvey, shall we?

LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ I'm not saying people should take young kids on vacation to theme parks and obviously people have legit reasons to not travel far sometimes, but just in certain people's cases there was a time before they had kids and they still didn't bother really going anywhere. Either way, personal choice.

As you said, personal choice. Personally, I feel there is A LOT that I haven't done here in my country and the fact that I've been to a giant chunk of America and have not explored it all says a lot about the country in the first place. Hell, just going to Hartford a few weeks ago was a fantastic experience only further enhanced by my friends. Hartford really isn't a spot to explorer or travel to. However, with all that being said, I plan on going to somewhere outside the states that isn't Canada next year. Where? Well I know where. But I'm not saying ****. ;)

LiveForTheLaunch said:
Europe and England are the bees knees so if people wanna be basic and stay stateside that's fine but they're missing out. I do regret not doing more parks the many times I've been over there, but when I go back next year I'll make it more cred based than culture.

Hold. The. ****. Phone. Did you just use the word 'basic'? Jesus **** Christ.

Many people have many different reasons for not traveling. I actually have plenty of vacation time, so much so my boss yelled at me for not taking it last year (no roll over unfortunately). However, the wife does not, and for one I'm not going any place overseas without her because she would politely kill me if I did as she loves travel as well.

My job is also fantastic. I love going to work in the morning, doing what I do, and coming home smiling. I may be exhausted some days, I may be stressed, but there isn't a minute where I would want to change it. Plus, I'm damn good at it and I'm doing things no one has ever done. Ok.. I'll stop... lol

Also, my children are my entire and complete life. There have been many a folk I've known on here who have disappeared because family and their job life got in the way of making this happen so much. For me, I absolutely cannot spend more then a few days away from my little ladies because I have such a profound attachment to them as a father. When we went to Texas, after about day 3, I kind of wanted to go home just to see them. Some people may not feel this same attachment as strong as I, some people relish time away from their kids, but I'm an extremely passionate father who loves doing absolutely nothing but riding my bike down the street with my 4 year old daughter.

And while I would love to take them over seas, I will not until they are old enough to enjoy and love the culture as much as I would. I want them to see the world, listen to the people, remember the sites, instead of just seeing pictures of us holding them at the place.

And now that she has woken up, I'm going to go play some hop scotch. Enjoy traveling. :D

PS: Don't think of this as a personal attack.. well besides when you used basic. I mean jesus. Just wanted to explain something and I happen to be rather passionate about some of my reasoning. :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'll add my two cents.

I can echo everybody else's statements about vacation days, money, family, etc. I'm fresh out of college and while I do have a solid cash flow that can support many European vacations, I do not have the vacation days yet. My company does have a program where I can buy vacation days, but I have to spend the same amount as one day's pay, which makes taking extra days quite expensive. Another caveat is that there is a company shut down during the week of July 4th (to retool and or repair manufacturing facilities and the like) and so I automatically have to use four days during that time period. That's not ideal as flights and hotels tend to be more expensive during that time.

There are plenty more reasons for not wanting to blow all one's money on a vacation. I will be in the market for a new car within the next year and I don't plan on buying a beater. My next car will probably be fully loaded with features - that in itself will cost a pretty penny but I'll also have to pay for insurance and gas (I already pay for these but I anticipate that rates will increase). I also plan on moving within the next year and I don't plan on keeping that college mentality that I need to live as cheaply as possible. I'll have rent and utilities to pay for in addition to feeding myself.

The most important point I have to make that hasn't been discussed yet is that my world does not revolve around roller coasters anymore. Yes, it's one of my hobbies and I do enjoy my trips to ride coasters, but I have many more interests. I'm planning on mentoring a robotics team which will require me to take a large chunk of my vacation days to travel to events. I took an aerospace engineering class in college which rekindled my love for space. Now that I've graduated, I have free time again and can afford to play video games. To be completely honest, there are so many other things to do that are worth missing out on the coasters.

Finally, I've been to Europe and I've absolutely loved it. I even got to ride a few rides over there and I do agree that even the small, uninteresting parks are better than many here in the states. Once again, there's more to do and see than just coasters. The only reason I was allowed to go to the parks I did (Parc Asterix, DLP, Parque de Atracciones Madrid) was because it was the second or third time I've been to Paris and Madrid. I'd rather see the culture, sights, and history first - THEN ride the coasters if I have a day extra. But that's just me.

There is a possibility that I'll be able to temporarily move to another continent for a vehicle launch. I'll try and do what I can on weekends, but my main priority will be launching whatever vehicle is to be built in the factory.

Different priorities. That's all.

Oh! But just to add it...

300: Wicked Cyclone
200: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFA)
100: X-Flight (Geauga Lake)

Darren B

Giga Poster
All I hear are excuses from people. It's fine to be unmotivated to travel, just say it. Using vacation days and money are the worst excuses in the book. lets face it - the real reason most of the North Americans haven't left the continent is because Marcus hasn't.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ For myself, the issue isn't traveling, it is simply finding the logistical capability to work roller coasters into the picture. Over the last 2 months alone, I have travelled to Phoenix, Tucson, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit, Toronto, and Nashville. But those trips were either for family or work, and there simply wasn't wiggle room in my schedule for fitting in a theme park. Again, my priority will always be family first with travel, such as when I was visiting cousins in Bradford-on-Avon a year ago today actually. :p

10952261_10203741847213193_9079726219298975507_n.jpg

ECG said:
Yeah, that's something I never understood about America. Why do so many people here have only 2 or 3 weeks vacation, depending on how long you've been working for a company?
Hell, they barely give new mothers time off after giving birth and new fathers get **** all.
I guess that growing up and working in Germany spoiled me, but I sure was glad when I came here and got my job at the Associated Press where I started with 3 weeks vacation annually and worked my way up to 48 days off a year over time.
Couldn't agree more. That is a fantastic setup with the AP.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Darren B said:
All I hear are excuses from people. It's fine to be unmotivated to travel, just say it. Using vacation days and money are the worst excuses in the book. lets face it - the real reason most of the North Americans haven't left the continent is because Marcus hasn't.

You can call it an excuse all you want. In my opinion, you live a dull life if all you do is coasters.

Also, I bet you'll find out that Snoo is one of the few Americans who hasn't left the states regardless of whether the trip was for coasters or not.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Hey! At least Darren got out of the car at Niagara Falls this time around. :wink:

Some people don't give a toss about culture and some people don't give a toss about coasters, but at least Darren is seeing the world and getting credz while he can. One day he'll be Married With Children and we'll never see him again. :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hear hear. It does boil down to a certain extent of what you look for with travel.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I see both sides of the argument, although I side slightly more with the Americans.

I can jet off very cheaply to anywhere in Europe and the flight will be max 3 and a half hours, but normally much less. I can do that for about £30 each way. I can then spend two days in a country and bugger off back to the UK. It's very simple for us; we're pretty fortunate to be in that position. Low-cost, no thrills Ryanair and Easyjet flights to an ever-growing list of European destinations are a godsend to us goons.

The cost of living here is pretty similar to even the most expensive countries in Europe (Scandinavia excluded, of course) and by comparison the countries with lower costs of livings are dirt cheap. Europe in comparison for Americans can look incredibly expensive, and - let's be honest - if you're flying 8+ hours each way and spending hundreds of dollars on a flight, you're going to want to spend as much time in that place as possible.

I have no commitments at the moment. No partner; no children; no mortgage; very early stages of a "career" with transferable skills... I have the ability to travel whenever I have a few days off, if I wanted to.

For me it used to be all coasters, but now not so much. The last 3 or 4 trips abroad I've done have had minimal to no coasters in, other than a few travelling creds spotted while out and about. The people I travel with, and the friends I travel to meet, have no interest in theme parks either. For me, I can have "goony" trips and love them (I only have to look back at all of the Lives I've attended and the fun I've had with everybody... yes, even when I'm being a bit of an arse!). Equally, I look back on my non-coaster trips and regard them as equally fulfilling.

But as people have said for themselves: that's just me!

Snoo

The Legend
Darren B said:

Just look above and you'll find your answer to what you think is "me running the show." I'm the least traveled of most, especially abroad

Don't be "basic."

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I don't really see how all of this blew so far out of proportion. It all comes down to people's preference as to where they go and what they do. I agree with Marcus, on a majority of his points not because I am a fellow American but because I can see things from both USA and European members point of views.

I still have so much of the USA to do. I have only been to three Six Flags parks, I have never been anywhere west of Holiday World or really anything south of Dollywood except for a couple random in Florida. I like to think I have done really good for myself for only being 19 and living in a part of the USA where there really isn't a lot of coasters so I really have no choice but to travel. I am a full time college student and work a part time job but during the summer coasters are my number one priority.

I am going to be hitting my 200th coaster in less than a week at Hershey (hopefully). My main goal is to get everything (as much as I can) in the US before going abroad other than Canada which I hope to do the main places in the next couple of years. You can ask any of my friends I am always itching for new coasters. People always ask me to go to Canobie Lake all the time and I always say the same thing that I won't go until they get a new coaster. For me it isn't really a accuse because it is true. I am a broke college student so if I were to do a European road trip like the one Ben, Darren, Taylor, and Tom are doing right now here in the US, I would blow through all of my savings.

Another thing I would like to say that goes against the US members and sides with our pals overseas is that I feel more of the Brits and other european members are more enthused and motivated about coasters than the US members. I feel like most of us US members are more casual. A couple big road trips and some random creds here and there where as other European members are like I MUST GET 200 COASTERS IN A YEAR OR I AM BASIC SDJGQSDHJGKQSG!!!!

Of course I am not labeling ALL european members because I said every person has there own way of going to parks and we have a topic for that already. It is stupid to call out US members or British members as a whole for how certain individuals decide to view the way the go out riding coasters and how things are in their lives. How you go about getting coasters is like how you would go about doing anything in life.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I'm going to hit my #100 in a bit more than a week. And it will be Baron 1898 <3 So happy about that. I would've preferred it as my #1898, but what are you going to do.

Maverix

Mega Poster
100. Manta (SWO)
150. Full Throttle
200. Skyrush

Finally got to 200 (well 219 after all said and done with my little trip to Hershey, SFA, SFGAdv and Knoebles) super happy to have had Skyrush be number 200, also was my number one, but lasted for less than a day. El Toro <3 <3 <3