What's new

Merlin & Wooden Coasters

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Anyone remember that official study/review/article about why a wooden coaster hasn't happened/will be done by Merlin? It may have just been a passing comment in some long term plan or some sort, but if anyone can link me to it, I'll be very greatfull.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yes, but that's in Germany. And apparently, the Germans aren't as ignorant as we are in the UK.

I should have worded the title different "UK Merlin parks and wooden coasters" is perhaps better

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Plus the coaster was there even before Merlin took over.

I hope that Merlin see sense soon and take it out. That thing looks really dangerous and unsafe.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
marc said:
Plus the coaster was there even before Merlin took over.

I hope that Merlin see sense soon and take it out. That thing looks really dangerous and unsafe.
I hope you realise they could always be watching and you sir are the reason we can't have nice things. ;P

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
How many times have I heard that :lol: :p

Okay, I repent. Give us a wooden coaster Mr Merlin please, it would be magical!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Merlin & Wooden Coasters

Ummm...out of sheer curiosity, how deep is this valley that would have given the proposed wooden coaster the longest drops on any wooden coaster?

marc

CF Legend

Yep same story with legoland but they did remove one of the wooden coasters but not in a good way. It was an old coaster that had only been there a few years and they just ripped it down.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'd love to see the actual survey, I want to know what questions they asked. I wonder if, for instance, they asked 'do you think wooden roller coasters are unsafe?' or if they left i open ended and lots of people said, in their own words, that they felt wooden rollercoasters were unsafe.

spicy

Giga Poster

The fact that a woodie was planned for Saws site is encouraging though, shows that Merlin haven't completely give up on the idea of a wooden coaster.

Whether we will actually see one built though, I don't think so. Merlin seem to love the whole dark scary theme to market their coasters, quite hard to market a woodie in that way. Unless they were to build an Outlaw Run style woodie, one can dream!

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
I'm still thinking were gonna get one in 2015 at Thorpe. OutLaw run style would fit all markets. Chavs want loop-die-loops, we'll hopefully have air time and will be fast.

People who are so ridiculous saying a woodie looks unsafe needs to understand. They are as safe as steel! Stop living in the 1930's and stopping us from having a grand woodie!

Rant over :lol:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
I'd love to see the actual survey, I want to know what questions they asked. I wonder if, for instance, they asked 'do you think wooden roller coasters are unsafe?' or if they left i open ended and lots of people said, in their own words, that they felt wooden rollercoasters were unsafe.
Exactly!

I asked my mum what she thinks of wooden roller coasters, and she said "rickety". I would have thought that's what most people would say if it were open ended, which doesn't tell anyone anything.

I suspect the survey was more like a list of potential ride types, and wood just came out least popular. And when they asked why, people said because they are old, boring and unsafe. Boring is a far more poignant point, I would have thought, especially since it's based in ignorance. Old and unsafe aren't, they are just born of the idea that wood is a crap material in general, for building anything. I've heard people exclaim "it's made of wood!" when talking about coasters in that way.

That's part of the reason wooden coasters don't get this crap in the USA, wood is still used as the primary construction of houses. People are familiar with it and know it's good, safe and such, they think nothing of it.

Driving around the USA and seeing houses like this, which look like I could push them over, illustrates my point. I'm just as guilty as the rest of the British public.

492a9acfcf9aeHouseConstruction.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster

Could it also be a past known histoty of wooden coaster accidents over there that may help with the insafe viewpoint?

marc

CF Legend

From what's been said before Thorpe cannot build a woodie on the reclaimed land, no idea how true that is.

spicy

Giga Poster

I believe the quote from the original MDTP was that a wooden coaster structure was deemed "too dense" for the park. It can be built on reclaimed land as the one planned was to be put onto saws island.