What's new

Making Trip Reports

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
I have seen lots of people make trip reports. They are really good, have awesome photos, etc

How does one make a good trip report? Are they a lot of things I should keep in mind when I visit a park?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Don't think about the trip report while you're at the park, first and foremost - enjoy your day out! Explore the park you're at, get a feel for the rides and attractions on offer. That way you can discuss your experiences and opinions afterwards.

Discuss the nuances of your trip. Did something funny happen? Did you have something to eat you'd recommend? I always enjoy trip reports that double as an informative guide to visiting the park. It's always nice to read and see photos from places I haven't been in case it might be of interest for future visits.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
I haven't done one in a very long time, but I will be doing one for my trip that starts tomorrow through June 9th. Lots of pictures, your opinions on rides, how your experience was, what you think of the park, etc. A lot of people on here use the format of writing your trip report and putting the pics in order of your experience at the park.
Also- If you're using a phone, it looks so much better when the pics are taken sideways, aka landscape format.
To post photos in the report, I use Imgur for the picture link and then I put the link in the Img function on here. Also, type it on a computer if you can, much much quicker, and type it through a Word processing program, that way you won't lose your progress if your site crashes or something. Nothing quite as frustrating as being close to finish typing a long post through Coasterforce and then your Internet craps out and you have to start over. I have Mac so I use Pages but Microsoft Word is the same deal for Windows.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Usually, it's a chronological list of what you did at a park with pictures to go with them.

If something unusual/funny happens, take a pic and post it.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I like Trip Reports when there are descriptions and opinions on a coaster. The sensations (is it intense or forceless ? smooth or jerky ? is the layout varied or repetitive ?), any particular element that stands out, comparisons with other coasters.

Any advice or experience for future visits is also welcome!

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I have a little notepad that I sometimes take to parks with me and if i'm really bored in a queue I might scribble down a few notes. Or if its a long trip in the evening before bed I might write down a few thoughts. Its mainly because i'm forgetful, but you might find it useful :).

djmcbell

Roller Poster
I did a few for a Wordpress site of mine (https://ridesandotherstuff.wordpress.com). Still got to do Disneyland Paris from 2014. But for the Florida one, I wrote down the order of rides on a notepad each evening, plus any interesting stuff that happened. For the others, I mainly used the park map, as well as the timestamp on any photos we took.

ignace

Mega Poster
I've written many (English is obviously not my native language so you probably haven't seen many from me tough), and one of the many traps I think people fall in are describing what your friends think and/or did. It's not important and has no value for someone who reads a TR. It's something personal really.

Also, if you feel like you don't have anything to say about a certain ride like a standard coaster, don't force it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Ha! The friends! Exactly. Nobody really gives a f**k what YOU think, let alone a reported account of what some skank thought.

By skank, I mean another virgin who may have accidentally brushed your hand while lowering a restraint.

ignace

Mega Poster
gavin said:
^ Ha! The friends! Exactly. Nobody really gives a f**k what YOU think, let alone a reported account of what some skank thought.

By skank, I mean another virgin who may have accidentally brushed your hand while lowering a restraint.

See, this is the style in which every PTR should be written. Don't mind what anyone else might think: it's your opinion. Don't just say 'I love this ride, it's the freaking best ever!!' because everyone likes it and you feel obligated. Same goes for rides that erveryone else seem to hate.

And don't throw in too many selfies/group pics. I would say one every second TR at max.