LocaJoy Holiday | Crazy Coaster | Intamin 10 inversion

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: LocaJoy Holiday | Unknown | Intamin 10 inversion

_koppen said:
Well the speed of a ride is always used to calculate the forces of the ride, but the reason for the double spine is to save on the numbers of footers.

The rides would have been fine with the old track style, they would just have had to use a lot more supports.
Yeah, so hence:
_koppen said:
This is wrong, the double spine is used to minimize the numbers of footers and supports.
Has nothing to do with the ride going 150mph or needing extra stability.
Isn't entirely true, is it? Stress on the track and number of footers are directly related. If you want to use fewer supports, you're going to need a thicker spine to support the forces. The sole reason for the thicker spine is not to minimize number of supports, there are other factors that drive how many supports you need/can have.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Hixee said:
The sole reason for the thicker spine is not to minimize number of supports, there are other factors that drive how many supports you need/can have.

Well then, tell me!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

_koppen said:
Hixee said:
The sole reason for the thicker spine is not to minimize number of supports, there are other factors that drive how many supports you need/can have.

Well then, tell me!
-Cost: sometimes making lots of small supports doesn't cost any more/less than having fewer and thicker track (for example, Superman at SFA has a whole ton on that bottom corner. They could have used the quad-track and fewer supports, but they didn't).
-Geology: often the number of supports is strongly limited by the ground below. If the ground is too soft you need more supports, if the ground is hard then you don't need as many.
-Local features: paths, lakes, buildings, other rides, all will make a difference as to how many (and where) you put supports.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that they don't want to minimize the number of supports, but if they did then all the track would be bulky right? Minimizing the number of supports is always a contributing factor (footers are expensive etc), but it's not the only factor. That's all I'm suggesting.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

I think you are misunderstanding me as well.

I get everything you're saying in your last post, and all of it is true, but I'm not arguing against it.

What I'm trying to say is that when the double spine track is used, it is to make it reach longer before the next support.

And when that is not needed, you switch back to single spine track (Formula Rossa is a good example of this).

The double spine is not built because they need the track itself to be more sturdy, or to stand against higher forces that the old track could not handle.

Ethan

Strata Poster

_koppen said:
The double spine is not built because they need the track itself to be more sturdy, or to stand against higher forces that the old track could not handle.

No, it was made to stand stronger forces, hence why less supports can be used.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

You guys realize that you're all saying the same thing, right?

Tri rail track costs less to manufacture than double spine due to sheer amount of material. If tri rail track can withstand the load of a moving train, they will use it instead of the double spine to save cost regardless of how many more supports are used.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

You also have to consider that the double spine track is a different gauge from the standard tri-rail track and can't be used interchangeably, as well as the increased bulk of the track decreases the flexibility.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

This will be my last post regarding the subject, I don't feel the need to write more after this.

Ethan said:
_koppen said:

No, it was made to stand stronger forces, hence why less supports can be used.

That's not why I meant.
What I meant is that the double spine track was not used because the old track style was not strong enough, and could not handle the job on the rides using the double spine.
It was used because it could get the job done using less supports than the old track style.

Antinos said:
Tri rail track costs less to manufacture than double spine due to sheer amount of material.

You can not compare the triangle style track to the double spine, you compare the double spine to the old square track. I would be very surprised if it was a price difference between those two.

On all the new Intamin rides using triangle track there is no need to use the double spine.
Some parts of those rides, like a top hat for an example, may need the square style of track, but it's not enough to justify the switch to the new track shape.

Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
You also have to consider that the double spine track is a different gauge from the standard tri-rail track and can't be used interchangeably,

There is a single spine version of the double spine track, that is used on both Formula Rossa and Skyrush.

cf64024f78f0f73631cb8d5a0b55b319ebc413b0.jpg

And here about the coaster in this topic, lap bars only.

HZGarfield

Roller Poster

Image Blocked,Please re-upload to imgur or other site……

andrus

Giga Poster

Great news with lap-bars only! Especiall for tall people like me who struggle with most Intamin otsr restraints. A bummer though if it's the same style as Skyrush.. Let's hope not! Intamin sure can't be that stupid to start puting these on more rides after all the negative criticism they received from Skrush?! :? Most of our group of hardened coaster enthusiasts had complaints during the ERT. And the majority of the general public had severe complaints of pain getting of that ride!

Intricks

Strata Poster

Im certain there wont be a 7g crunch on this clone to cause the same stapling effect that happened on Skyrush.

kadabrium

Roller Poster

Intricks said:
Im certain there wont be a 7g crunch on this clone to cause the same stapling effect that happened on Skyrush.
Still, whenever there was headbanging, this can cave thighbanging.

andrus

Giga Poster

Intricks said:
That doesn't change the fact that it's a faulty design. The lapbars are way to thin. Why can't Intamin just realize their mistakes? And make something more similar to what Mack have done (succesfully). I'm mean it obviously will not staple you as much as Skrush, but it still will to some degree and hence be uncomfortable.

Intricks

Strata Poster

andrus said:
Intricks said:
That doesn't change the fact that it's a faulty design. The lapbars are way to thin. Why can't Intamin just realize their mistakes? And make something more similar to what Mack have done (succesfully). I'm mean it obviously will not staple you as much as Skrush, but it still will to some degree and hence be uncomfortable.

Ummm...Intamins are a near direct copy of MACKs, they just focus on a smaller part of your thigh than anything else. Yes, it will still staple you but the degree will be far better and woth the softer padding these will most likely have, it wont hurt as bad as what you think.