What's new

Liseberg - May 2015

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Last week I visited Gothenburg with a friend.
I went to Liseberg twice. Once on a Friday morning and then on the Saturday evening. The longest queue was only half an hour.
I'll go through this report ride by ride. I didn't take many photos
11193222_10202817675921713_3875489972609926807_n.jpg

Helix

11209625_10202817661801360_3089020325173524287_n.jpg

11219075_10202817777924263_4595920350662465309_n.jpg

The coaster I wanted to ride the most this year.

Helix is the most complete coaster I have ever ridden. It's got hang time, loads of ejector airtime, good launches and great inversions.
My favourite part is the launch into the inverting top hat!
At night Helix looks incredible, all lit up.
I love the soundtrack!
Helix easily slots into second position in my count.

Balder
11203696_10202817663521403_4186905747298194943_n.jpg

10429350_10202817663921413_2117615288605666740_n.jpg

Easily the best wooden coaster I've ridden! Here's a secret, I'm not a huge fan of wooden coasters.

Balder has so much speed and airtime! The drop was amazing! Easily the fifth best coaster I've done.
Balder was incredible though, maybe when I ride some more top woodies my opinion of them will improve!

Lisebergbanan

Better than I expected. Great views and it interacts with Helix very well. The ride is smooth and has some good speed. The brakes are a bit sharp.

Kanonen

Crap. Weak launch. Rough and uncomfortable.

Rabalder and Stampbanan

+1s and nothing more.

Atmosphere

Well themed. The drop wasn't very forceful.

The Eye

1610926_10202817830965589_7972335156074248770_n.jpg

11193276_10202817843525903_8628349602621397399_n.jpg

Very nice views of the park, especially at night.

Overall, Liseberg is now my second favourite park.

TilenB

Strata Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Easily the best wooden coaster I've ridden! Here's a secret, I'm not a huge fan of wooden coasters.
Some much speed and airtime! The drop was amazing! Easily the fifth best woodie I've done.

Huh?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ He probably just meant "fifth best coaster" :wink:

Anyway, glad to see another Helix fan! I'm not as big of a fan of Balder as you, but it's a good and fun ride. Lisebergbanan as well <3 Can't wait to re-visit the park this year. Fab photos as well. I especially love the second Helix one, because it shows well how awesome the trains and restraints are.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
This park never fails to amaze me in every picture. Balder is a coaster I really want to ride already having an Intamin Woodie as my fave just to see if it can top it off. Glad to see you liked it! But I have heard nothing but bad reviews for Kanonen. Is it really that bad? Simple yet very informative and fantastic report, Attackhammer!

Really excited because Norwegian Airlines will start flying to Puerto Rico from London Gatwick, Copenhagen, Oslo, and Stockholm which means an easy route to Norway! :D Hopefully I'll get to visit it in the future.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I don't think Kanonen is bad by any means. It's a fun little launch coaster overshadowed by three other great coasters.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Yeah Kanonen is actually quite good. I like its really tight twists and because its got the Intamin 'strap' restraints, as opposed to the 'decapitating' ones, it is a more comfortable experience than it otherwise would be.

It's better than Banan, but I know that will send the hardcore Schwarzkopf fans into outrage.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Not a Schwarzkopf fanboy but I disagree with that statement :wink: I enjoyed Lisebergbanan nearly as much as Balder to be honest. I'd rank both quite a bit higher than Kanonen. Helix is the clear highlight though.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Glennderp said:
This park never fails to amaze me in every picture. Balder is a coaster I really want to ride already having an Intamin Woodie as my fave just to see if it can top it off. Glad to see you liked it! But I have heard nothing but bad reviews for Kanonen. Is it really that bad? Simple yet very informative and fantastic report, Attackhammer!

Really excited because Norwegian Airlines will start flying to Puerto Rico from London Gatwick, Copenhagen, Oslo, and Stockholm which means an easy route to Norway! :D Hopefully I'll get to visit it in the future.

Regarding Kanonen: You know is coaster is bad when it has padding on the restraints. It has a very weak launch and is just uncomfortable.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I don't understand what Banan brings to the table though really. I suppose it has a decent length, is terrain following and quite smooth, but I just found it really dull on both occasions that I visited. Also, that bit where it wraps around the screaming swing is stupid. It does the same drop, turn, trim etc. thing three times and is really repetitive (and not in a good way).

Of course you could also say Balder is repetitive, but at least it is doing something fab all the time <3

I don't remember any extra padding on Kanonen, but I guess it's new. Good report btw :) Helix is amazing and I'm sure that's something almost everyone can agree on.

Edit: I just looked at a pic of the trains. They don't have the strap restraints, they just have more padded versions of the other ones like Attackhammer said. Silly me :)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
It's hard to explain what makes Banan so fun. It's just so enjoyable, always a good laugh, very lengthy, travels through half of the park and interacts with the majority of the other rides. It's just so simple but beautiful, smooth, easy to enjoy and also has some really good forces, but not too forceful to be headache-enducing.

Balder is good but way too controlled which takes away so much of the thrill. Heck, I'd even consider more family oriented woodies like Joris more thrilling because at least they feel out of control. Balder's airtime wasn't even that special. Just some short pops.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I agree about Balder feeling too controlled and the airtime coming in short pops, but I guess it just comes purely down to preference after that. I just love all the sudden moments of ejector (albeit not the absolute best airtime out there) and the fun factor is HUGE.

Wow Liseberg surely does have some controversial coasters :p

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Banan just exceeded expectations. I was expecting a rather dull plus one. What I got was a decent length coaster, with good turns and some force! The way it drops and turns with the terrain is very good!