What's new

Legoland Windsor Future Developments

JMW

Roller Poster
Legoland have given an insight into their future plans, with a planning application for a LEGO-themed indoor adventure golf attraction to be submitted shortly plus a holiday village consisting of 150 lodges. The resort have also said that a ‘new rollercoaster plan’ will be coming forward and other parts of the park will be refreshed. LINK

Like with Chessington and Thorpe Park’s developments, the London Resort is stated as a reason for these investments.

LEGOLAND Windsor plans to build a new adventure golf course by Spring 2023 amid delays to their holiday village development.

The famous theme park near the historic town has shared plans it will soon submit to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council to construct an indoor attraction for guests visiting the resort as well as those staying overnight to enjoy in the evening.

Councillors and residents sitting on the Windsor town forum heard the proposed addition will have up to three golf courses with different LEGO themes and branding.

An upcoming visitor attraction in Kent called London Resort could draw guests away from LEGOLAND and the theme park needs to “up its game”.

READ MORE: Windsor MP Adam Afriyie insists there will be no by-election

If approved, the golf course could be erected on one of the car parks to the west of LEGOLAND – but details are yet to be finalised.

David Pugh, consultation advisor to LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, said: “This is about attracting more people to the local area with a diversified offer [as] part of the wider holidays package.”

He also said a new “rollercoaster plan” will be coming forward and parts of the theme park will be “refreshed”.

13379154.jpg
A new mythical creature attraction was unvieled last year Image by J Hordle / INhouse Images

Back in 2018, the council approved plans for LEGOLAND to build a holiday village consisting of 450 lodges in the green belt for guests to stay overnight.

Drawings of the village show the units appearing to be built with materials to make it look like it was built by LEGO. The village has a woodland setting with large foxes and other wildlife statues built by LEGO bricks.

But the plans were delayed after the countryside charity Campaign to Protect Rural England went to the High Court in order to stop the development, believing the council did not take the appropriate examination of the scheme’s impact on ancient and veteran trees.

Both the High Court and the Court of Appeal dismissed the charity’s case. The group applied to the Supreme Court, the most senior court in the UK, but that was rejected.

READ MORE: Legoland Windsor hits back at green campaigners 'wrong' tree claims

With the final hurdle cleared, Mr Pugh said Legoland can now start implementing the first phase of the delayed plans, which includes building 150 lodges by 2024.

He said: “There’s been a lack of family-friendly accommodation that’s been identified in past visitor surveys and part of the holiday village is about providing that accommodation at a lower price point.

“Not just for guests who would be coming to LEGOLAND as part of that, but those families who can visit other attractions in the local area.”

The forum heard a link from the M4 to the resort is now “nigh-on impossible” due to environmental constraints and the existing access to the theme park from Winkfield Road will “remain the case indefinitely”.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Now this is interesting.

An adventure golf course will certainly add to the park and resort in a worthwhile way. I honestly think that more and more resort parks should have adventure gold courses - compared to most theme park attractions, even a good quality one is only a comparatively small investment. They are low cost in maintenance, cheap to operate in terms of staffing and you can justifiably upcharge for it.
Plus, I think a Lego-themed mini golf just sounds like a great idea.

The "new coaster investment" is interesting. I've heard rumblings of a B&M going to Windsor. Personally, I think that's just rumours coming from people seeing the Legolands in China and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5. And I would have laughed the idea out the window a year ago. But with Chessington getting a B&M, and obviously multiple B&Ms in the Chinese Legoland parks looking likely, it's not the craziest suggestion right now.

Legoland Windsor has many planning obstacles, and they're low on usable space. Even with the focus on the younger market, they do need another family coaster imo. Their recent dark ride additions have been very 'for all the family' orientated, so having a new coaster catering for that market isn't out of the question. But yeah, will be very interesting to see what they do.

I do wonder if there have been an internal shift in philosophy about the likelihood of London Resort, given it's been quoted as a need for investment multiple times. Again, my opinion would be that they're still not worried about it, and still pretty sceptical that it will ever open, but there's certainly no harm in them playing off it to push through new investments.

Out of all the UK Merlin parks, Legoland has seen some of the most consistent and well thought-out additions over the last 7-10 years really, so this isn't anything new. But it's good it continue under the changes at the top of Merlin (even if it's not a surprise!).

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Now this is interesting.

An adventure golf course will certainly add to the park and resort in a worthwhile way. I honestly think that more and more resort parks should have adventure gold courses - compared to most theme park attractions, even a good quality one is only a comparatively small investment. They are low cost in maintenance, cheap to operate in terms of staffing and you can justifiably upcharge for it.
Something I'd love parks to play with is having the golf course holes themed to some of the rides. Imagine if these existed...
-Thorpe Park golf course: have the option to get your ball up a ramp through a Swarm billboard
-Blackpool Pleasure Beach golf course: Avalanche hole where the ball goes through a half pipe course
-Paultons Park golf course: Cyclonator hole where a miniature model of the ride's swinging motion periodically opens and closes a tunnel entry

Of course the Legoland one won't be centered around the rides as it's, well, Legoland but maybe one or two ride-themed holes would be fun.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Well they kept that quiet

Apparently a new interactive walk through experience to open at Legoland Windsor at the end of April THIS YEAR, anyone have any idea where this will be - didn't see any construction work on preview day etc!
The_Magical_Forest.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Well they kept that quite

apparently a new interactive walk through experience to open at Legoland Windsor at the end of April THIS YEAR, anyone have any idea where this will be - didn't see any construction work on preview day etc!
View attachment 16981

I believe it’s an expansion to Mythica, going in the wooded area behind Fire & Ice Freefall.

peep

CF Legend
I hope it connects up to that path down to the Mythica ride queue, despite being a ride entrance it felt a bit dead down there (going behind Fire & Ice Freefall is probably what I'm thinking of). Either way, seems like a nice little addition to this new area of the park.

Peet

Giga Poster

Niles

Giga Poster
Wow what a great surprise, looked at the first image and thought it looked like a dull layout but that side view of how it run down the hill from the mansion looks great. The Duplo coaster (while tiny) looks so miniscule and I love how it will overlook the Duplo area.

1661955822626.png

With Thorpe, Chessington, Nemesis re-track and rumblings of SW9 I was a happy chappy but a duelling terrain coaster for Legoland......Dam. Looks like a great addition and I don't know what's going on at Merlin but I might have to buy a Merlin Pass in a few years.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
This is a nice surprise! Correct me if I am wrong but is this going to be Zierer's first shuttle coaster?

Having two coasters dueling will greatly help with capacity, as these shuttle coasters don't have high numbers.

I am shocked at the amount of investments by Merlin.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
+2!

Love it when parks put duelling coasters in.

;)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Looks good. Good investment all round this.

As for if it's Zierer or Vekoma. I don't know, I'm not that type of goon. But if it was Zierer, it would be their first shuttle? Not completely out of the question (after all, how many people had Chessington pegged down to get a launched B&M wing shuttle), but feels like an odd choice when Vekoma is right there, and tried and tested with the model.