What's new

Late to the party – Belgium – August 2022

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Feel like the last person in the world to head out to these parks, but here we go…

Day 0 – Travelling

Train was the obvious choice here – as you’ll see in the summary the longest drive of the trip was from Bristol to Folkstone, so flying and renting a car and all the other faff that comes with that (getting to/from airport, sitting around for hours, liquid volume restrictions, car hire pick-up/drop-off faff, cost, etc) was ruled out pretty quickly.

Drive from Bristol, dinner and meeting the guys was a doddle, and when we rolled into the DESERTED Folkstone terminal at 9pm, they were quick to usher us onto the train that’d be leaving next. Jackpot – another hour or so chopped off the journey. Train is pretty easy – other than a bit of grief following a big SUV into the train and them struggling to fit (surprised they weren’t pushed into the “large vehicles” lane, to be honest).

35mins later, arrived in “le France”, and in no time we were at the cheap and basic hotel as a place to crash for the night. Great stuff, creds tomorrow, let’s go.

Day 1 – Plopsaland De Panne

On the road, and shortly in the park. A slightly rude employee in the parking lot (I left a sizable gap between my car and the adjacent one as there were children running about and they had both doors wide open, and the parking attendant got awfully pissy), and wander past the “big door” and we were immediately heading for the main event – Ride To Happiness.

tc0xsdQ.jpg

You get a good view (possibly the best?) of Heidi from the car park.

Ride To Happiness was struggling with a bit of downtime first thing – was sending a lot of trains round empty – but it looked increasingly like they were making progress, so we stuck it out and let everyone else pass up the wait, and ended up within the first few trains of the day.

eQLoS9q.jpg

Good opportunity to watch it cycle and build the excitement.

pJL8Ryc.jpg

Some good, albeit slow spinning happening with the empty trains.

After a couple of cycles with a ride-op, the queue was opened and we quickly climbed the stairs into the station. Overall, aesthetic of the queue and station and the overall quality is very good. Onto the ride then – well… very ‘not Plopsaland’, I would say. The roll out of the station is disgusting, but once that is over and done with, the first launch packs a solid kick and the climb into the top hat thing provides a solid pop of ejector. Drop off the top hat thing is neutered by the trims, as expected, but the banana roll works really well with the spinning cars, as does the zero-g roll after the loop (loop can be a bit of a non-event if the spinning isn’t in your favour). It’s brilliant, but it’s such a left turn from them that I can’t help but feel like it’s a bit wasted – especially when you see how dead the ride is later in the day while everything else holds a decent queue.

ntTnto5.jpg

It’s also a bit awkward being turned over above someone’s head standing below – feel like some sort of grotesque exhibition piece.

Second launch is good too, with a decent push and enhanced with the airtime hill. The flying snake dive thing is everything I wanted it to be – chaos – and the following airtime hills are also brilliant. Ride was basically a walk on, so grabbed a front row lap second time and this was much better than the back. The push up into the first hill and into the flying snake dive were really quite powerful moments in the front with the full momentum of the train.

VWSoQuB.jpg

Boooooost!

Great stuff. Let’s tick off the rest of the bits we need, then come back for more.

Next we rode Heidi – a new coaster for me – and it was expectedly good. These are great all round family fun attractions, and are great stepping stone coasters. The theme was cute too, so bravo there.

We mooched round the rest of the park, grabbed a coffee, got some photos, that sort of thing. Here’s a little bit of a dump.

wtgdJgV.jpg

Huh, Drayton Manor De Panne, much?

LD0TpPQ.jpg

Up into the high turn.

0yTJ5o1.jpg

It’s fantastic over the lake.

qhLVSGV.jpg

The loop frames the banana roll quite well too.

hGWZPDO.jpg

How about a blurry one?

jjxRaXe.jpg

And another arty one.

We made our way round to Anubis, the only coaster of interest to us in the park, and I have to say that façade really does stand out. The coaster itself? Trains are gross, launch is fab, top hat is decent, pull out of the top hat is terrible, rest of the coaster from there is actually much better than I remembered. Still holds up pretty well, I think.

DfkEovD.jpg

Up and over they go.

scU4lvk.jpg

Yeah, really excellent façade – inside the station itself, not so much.

After that, we rode the log flume which has recently been rethemed (not made much effort to find our how recently, mind). Water was filthy and stinky, which was a shame, and the flume itself is fairly unexciting, but it does have a fantastic double drop which always makes these things worth a ride!

Had a ‘snack’ of fries from the food place next to Ride To Happiness, which was… interesting, to say the least. What seemed on the picture like a simple €5 snack, turned out to be a sizable portion. Verging on a meal for one, perhaps a snack for two or three.

Finally, it was back round to lap Ride to Happiness to close out the day.

3xMDXcM.jpg

Wowza.

nZ1Imhc.jpg

I found this second launch to be very photogenic too, especially with the sun shining later in the day.

So, to round out the day – Ride To Happiness.

I wrote a fair bit (more than I planned) in the Last Cred Review thread, so I will lift most of the text from there in the first instance.

This is really very, very good. Overlooking quite how out-of-place it is in Plopsaland (it's more than a little out of step with their line-up and a fair leap if they're starting to broaden their range), it's a wonderful addition. The theming is well done and the aesthetic is lovely.

In terms of the coaster - Mack have finally gotten something resembling a decent launch, and the layout is very good. Highlights are the climb and level-out after the first launch, the flying-snake-dive thing after the second launch, and the final airtime hills. The jojo-roll out of the station is an abomination, though. The ride experience itself is varied. The forces are decent throughout, and are enhanced by a good spin - sideways, backwards and spinning airtime is divine. This does, however, lead me to the downside - the quality of each individual lap is highly dependent on the amount of spinning. If you get a 'bad' spin, it's genuinely a bit naff, and you can spend the whole lap facing backwards, or possibly worse, forwards. I didn't find it markedly better later in the day, although the front row was better, but it was mostly just based on the spin.

We left the park impressed with Ride To Happiness, but I think unanimously not feeling quite as blown away as we maybe expected to feel. Expectations too high, perhaps? Too dependent on a good spin, I think so. For our preferences, anyway.

uNiwzWn.jpg

Goodbye!

We’d decided to base ourselves in Leuven (home of Stella – don’t you know? Neither did we, until we saw the brewery which is rather hard to miss), which was right in the middle of the parks for the next few days, and had opted this time to stay centrally. What a success, it was a lovely town with a great atmosphere, good food and lively scene and our apartment in the city centre was a dream. Happy, happy goons.

Next park coming soon…

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Day 2 – Bobbejaanland

Relatively leisurely start to the day, some breakfast in the apartment and a coffee and we were on the road to Bobbejaanland. Drive was pleasant enough, but a lot of in and out of villages and little roundabouts and never really able to settle into the groove.

Got parked up, and headed straight for Typhoon to get it over as soon as possible. As predicted, it was trash. The only vaguely redeeming part was the drop alongside the loop. Apart from that it was jerky, uncomfortable and dull. One and done.

pM9JNC5.jpg

Awful.

Fury up next, and a moderate but steadily moving queue. Credit where it’s due here, the park’s operations were pretty spot on and there wasn’t a huge amount of faffage at any point, really.

shs7bPb.jpg

The little entrance plaza in this area is nicely done, actually.

As I’ve written about before, backwards coasters (regardless of intensity) tend to make me feel a bit off, so initially we planned to ride forwards. The queue for the forwards side was significantly more popular, and after a bit of a debate we conceded that we’d risk riding the backwards voting train.

The problem here, see, is that they run one train in forwards mode and the other train in voting mode. However, everyone who wants a forwards ride would pick the forwards only train for a guaranteed forwards lap. That leaves everyone who wants a backwards ride on the voting train, voting to go backwards. We probably saw one voting train end up going forwards out of half an hour of waiting.

So… two of us wanted to ride forwards, one backwards, and none of us wanted to queue. The result was a compromise – we’ll risk the backwards side, but two of us would be voting forwards…

Roll out to the turntable, and the trains rotates… forwards! Ha! Jackpot.

My verdict – better (much better) than expected. Launches are decent, reverse spike is actually really cool, there are some decent forces (albeit mostly positive with little airtime), and it’s a good little coaster packed into a tight layout. Will have to try it backwards later, I suppose.

1VZCgkL.jpg

One thing I would criticise, again, is Gerstlauer’s support design. They seem to just keep chucking cross members at it until something sticks. Very ugly.

LlzIqpU.jpg

Weeee!

With that dealt with, we decided to head off round the rest of the park. We’d eyed up the queues, and general business of the park, as well as the fastpass situation, and decided at this point that it was a decent spend of €27 to be able to walk on everything else. Not broke goons anymore, so let’s not muck about.

Here we go – rapid fire.

Revolution – Massive train (30 cars!), bonkers lift hill, and ever faster helices, and a solid brake run. We dubbed it “Left Turn: The Ride”, but by no means saw that as a bad thing. Second best thing in the park, after Fury.
Rapids – Meh.
Speedy Bob – Meh.
Dreamcatchers – Meh.
Oki Doki – Meh.
Indiana River – This was a great, fully indoor, log flume. Water still stinky, but pretty quality stuff.
Bob Express – Meh.
Naga Bay – Meh.

5UqT5tw.jpg

Not only was this ride not very good, it was actually really ugly.

MMjWMKV.jpg

Bonus points for being custom, but still terribly uneventful even for a family coaster.

6RsSPNo.jpg

I suppose it looks good, at least.

Ahem. That didn’t go so well, did it…?

Don’t get me wrong, the park is perfectly pleasant, but it really doesn’t have an awful lot going for it. It’s fairly clean and well kept, and their operations are alright, but it’s not a hugely inspiring place. We decided it was time to use up the fastpasses on Fury, before heading back to the apartment.

Okay, back onto the voting train (I think, albeit through a bit of broken English, the fastpass always has to use the voting train to avoid taking seats from the far more popular forwards train), but this time we agreed we’d vote backwards.

Group of teenagers got on the train with us, and must have colluded to all vote forwards knowing they’d be able to guarantee themselves a forwards ride and essentially knock 20mins off their queue. Bastards. :p

Round again, then.

Finally got a backwards lap. It did make me feel a bit queasy on the brake run at the end, but actually it was rather enjoyable. The twisting drops facing backwards were good, and I do think it’s a decent gimmick for a ride as relatively uneventful as this.

eofTDab.jpg

Plunging backwards down this drop was the highlight.

Okay, let’s get back to Leuven. Wine was calling, and a few glasses before dinner would be a welcome end to the day.

Bobbejaanland is alright – it’s a very standard, run-of-the-mill European theme park. Fury is the standout ride at the park, but shoutout also to Revolution for its ridiculousness. It’s definitely not a bad way to spend the day, but I’m very glad we opted for the fastpasses and were able to fly past some hefty queues, and get everything done early enough to allow us to enjoy our evening!

We mooched around the town, grabbing a few drinks here and there, before settling down to Korean BBQ for dinner and a few more drinks. After that, another wander round town (dodging the night time running race that was going on, where people seemed to be jogging in, around and through(!) the various city buildings), before heading off to bed. Lovely, lovely evening, and the best way to end a theme park day. We’ll be staying in places like this again.

RTVXLzC.jpg

Isn’t it just lovely?

caVEjrS.jpg

We stumbled across this little street, which we came back to for food on the final night.

aqXmWJ5.jpg

The town hall and church being the focal points.

Lovely.

Intamin, next.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Wow. We must have just missed each other by a few days as I did all of the major Belgium parks last week. Even stayed in Leuven!

I might do a report of my own so I’ll hold off on much commentary, but generally agree with everything you said about RTH apart from the fact that I loved the roll out of the station. Also, single train ops meant that the ride had an hour+ line all day!

Great report thus far and looking forward to reading your thoughts on the rest of the rides and parks. And the photos… yours are better than mine.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Day 3 – Walibi Belgium

Marginally shorter drive to Walibi than Bobbejaanland, which was over in no time, and not before long we were in the queue for fastpasses. Not even going to muck about this time – one of us needed all the creds, and the other two needed four, plus wanting to ride the dark rides, water rides and rerides if we fancied it. €45 for all that? Yes please.

The fastpass only gives one go on Kondaa, disappointingly (I understand why it wouldn’t be unlimited, but maybe two or three laps would have been a decent compromise), but not to fear we had a plan. Ride it a few times without the fastpass, using the fastpass to score a ride when the queue was at its worst. Straight to Kondaa it is, then.

Now, on the whole I have a lot of good things to say about Walibi Belgium, but I have two major gripes with our day at the park. First one, right out the gate – WHY THE **** DON’T THEY JUST PUT BOTH TRAINS ON THEIR FLAGSHIP ATTRACTION FIRST THING IN THE MORNING?! Argh. It’s so ****ing stupid. We joined the queue within the first 10-15 trains, and their ops were good, but by the time we were off the ride (barely 30mins after the park opened once you’d factored in walking to the ride, the wait, the ride and then congregating outside the ride exit), and the queue was already three quarters of the way full. The second train was put on shortly after our second ride (single rider, perhaps about 15mins later). So the park hadn’t even been open an hour and the were already taking the ride offline to put the second train on. Now yes, I understand that the morning inspection might have thrown something up that meant they couldn’t run the second train right away, but I’m willing to bet it was just ****wittery on the part of the daily management of the ride.

Anyway… oh yeah, the coaster.

Second gripe will come later.

nucIw2i.jpg

The station area is rather nice.

First ride was in the back row, and blimey did I enjoy this. First drop’s actually a bit lacklustre, but the first and second hills kick it hard, and I quite enjoyed the cobra roll. From there, it’s a fairly fast-paced rip through some solid airtime, funky twists and speedy transitions. Right away, brilliant. Ride To Happiness was already on thin ice for best coaster in Belgium.

z1AClph.jpg

The monster airtime hill.

2lgRPwd.jpg

The baby airtime hills.

Single rider queue was about five people, so we figured we’d go straight for that before wandering off into the rest of the park. Got assigned towards the middle of the train, and I must say, I still really enjoyed it. Yes the forces were slightly subdued, but on the whole I was still consistent airtime and dynamic pacing. Yeah, move over Plopsaland, this is what it’s all about. The only thing I’d change, would be to maybe reprofile some of the final bunny hops to be a bit longer so they sustained the floater a little better. Oh and maybe change the first drop for something… good.

f85o3mg.jpg

Oooo, creative focus.

kRK4irR.jpg

Yeeeet.

We had the fastpass, so didn’t have to play the game juggling queue times, but instead decided we’d go ride Pulsar as the sun was out and the temperature was rising – better to do it now than on the way home, we figured.

ECwHeq2.jpg

It looks absolutely fantastic.

They only ran this on one train all day, which suggests that something was wrong with the other one, as the queue was consistently very long all day and would easily have justified it from an operational perspective.

6S8Pqtw.jpg

The final reverse launch was a particular highlight.

I actually really enjoyed this. The launches packed a lot more of a punch than I expected them to, and the airtime on the towers is pretty pleasant. It’s also a great spectacle, both onride and offride, watching the train pass freely backwards then come crashing into the water on the way back through. Didn’t get soaked, but definitely wouldn’t have described myself as dry following the ride. All in, great.

5LXTEAL.jpg

Boom!

From here, it was time to lap the lake, ticking off things as we went.

First up was Tiki Waka – which was looking fantastic against a blue sky with its lovely theming. The ride itself was ace too, with a great mix of turns, twists, those fab floaty s-bend things you get on these. Seriously a 10/10 ride, this. We were beaming!

m8E26TB.jpg

Dropping out of one of the many MCBRs.

eSmP7IT.jpg

Weeeee!

dp3E9Gn.jpg

The view from the little Tiki Trail that passes through the ride were brilliant too, such a nice interactive feature.

3FtZWVQ.jpg

The theming setup here is nice too, making it look like the train is heading up a wooden ramp.

Feeling thoroughly buzzed from that ride, we headed towards the first of Walibi Belgium’s great dark rides – Revenge of Tutankhamen.

It has some great scenes and interactive elements, and even has a varied ending depending on whether you do a good, okay or bad job as a collective ride vehicle. Unfortunately on our first ride, the second row of riders from another group baaaadly let the side down and we ended up getting spited through the ‘failure’ ending. We knew we’d be back, so hoped that we’d do a better job the second time. Overall, very good though.

Psyke Underground was just as intense as I remembered it being, but sadly the rave/disco was lacking in the loop portion which definitely impacted the overall ride experience.

We rode the log flume, which had just as disgusting water as Bobbejaanland’s and Plopsaland’s had had, but featured a backwards drop and then the epic forwards double drop. Smiles all round for those double drops, always.

Time for the second frustrating thing of the day – man their food service was awful. We purposefully avoided eating in the middle of major lunch break times, but the queue for the food place (opposite Popcorn Revenge) took at least 30mins to serve around 15 people. And this is fast food – curries, burgers, chips, stir fry – it’s en masse slop it out and off you go. It was chronic. I think understaffing, and understaffing by junior staff without any semblance of management, was the issue here. Very frustrating, and definitely avoidable. Thankfully, in their defence, the food was decent and a the indoor seating area was quiet, a welcome break from the sun and heat, and clean.

We’d drawn metaphorical straws for who would ride the Boomerang with the person who needed the cred (the other loser would have to ride the SLC), but decided that we should try Popcorn Revenge first to at least let the lunch go down.

gdBeiba.jpg

Loved the façade for this one too, brilliant.

Oh man, how good is this ride? Such a creative use of a very small space, and I loved the shooting action, the animations, the theming, the chaotic nature of the ride vehicles moving between scenes, oh it was a joy. I wasn’t very good at scoring points, but it was ear-to-ear smiles all way through. We got off genuinely floored by how fun this was. My only complaint was that the could have done with pumping some popcorn scent throughout the ride.

Boomerang was next, it was hateful.

Thankfully, that did mean I got to skip the SLC, which is one of the worse ones as I recall from my last visit.

Hopped on the woodie, which was hilariously terrible. Laughed all the way round, but it was janky as all hell. I tell you what, if they RMC’d that, they’d have one of the best coaster line-ups in Europe (Kondaa, Pulsar, Tiki Waka and an RMC? Wow.).

8HsLI2H.jpg

It was fun, but not good.

At this point we basically did another lap of the park – drop tower (although I skipped this one and let the others ride), another lap on Tiki Waka, another lap on Kondaa (which, I might add, was running beautifully and as we used the fastpass we were able to snag the front row), another go on Tutankhamen (where we did get the good ending as the other people in our car pulled their weight a bit this time), and then the rapids (which had one of the most spiteful sections of water ride I’ve seen outside Florida – in which water hoses essentially shot above the boat and provided a significant soaking), before finishing off with a final ride on Popcorn Revenge.

It was really lovely, and the fastpass made things a doddle.

iZN1PM1.jpg

Up they go.

ttMFf4q.jpg

There aren’t many good vantage points of Kondaa’s turnaround bit, but it does sneak through the trees in places.

MinFtHM.jpg

Same can be said for the second hill, too.

So, my overall impression of Walibi Belgium. What a turnout for the books! It was brilliant. I last visited on a damp day before they actually had anything good, and it was a really, really good day. The rides are great, the theming is (in places) top notch, and the overall atmosphere was a joy. Kondaa is a Top 20 coaster for me, and pips Ride To Happiness for best in Belgium due to it’s consistency. Belgium has really put itself on the map (in my opinion) as one of the best parks going.

We had a short drive back to the apartment, where we had a few drinks before heading out for dinner, drinks and ice cream. Happy, happy goons.

Final park next, and it’ll be a short one.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Have to agree, Walibi Belgium has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years and has, I think, overtaken Walibi Holland as the superior park, even with Holland's amazing RMC creation. If Belgium get an RMC makeover of their woodie as well... oh man, that would be sweeeeet!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Day 3 – Walibi Belgium

Marginally shorter drive to Walibi than Bobbejaanland, which was over in no time, and not before long we were in the queue for fastpasses. Not even going to muck about this time – one of us needed all the creds, and the other two needed four, plus wanting to ride the dark rides, water rides and rerides if we fancied it. €45 for all that? Yes please.

The fastpass only gives one go on Kondaa, disappointingly (I understand why it wouldn’t be unlimited, but maybe two or three laps would have been a decent compromise), but not to fear we had a plan. Ride it a few times without the fastpass, using the fastpass to score a ride when the queue was at its worst. Straight to Kondaa it is, then.

Now, on the whole I have a lot of good things to say about Walibi Belgium, but I have two major gripes with our day at the park. First one, right out the gate – WHY THE **** DON’T THEY JUST PUT BOTH TRAINS ON THEIR FLAGSHIP ATTRACTION FIRST THING IN THE MORNING?! Argh. It’s so ****ing stupid. We joined the queue within the first 10-15 trains, and their ops were good, but by the time we were off the ride (barely 30mins after the park opened once you’d factored in walking to the ride, the wait, the ride and then congregating outside the ride exit), and the queue was already three quarters of the way full. The second train was put on shortly after our second ride (single rider, perhaps about 15mins later). So the park hadn’t even been open an hour and the were already taking the ride offline to put the second train on. Now yes, I understand that the morning inspection might have thrown something up that meant they couldn’t run the second train right away, but I’m willing to bet it was just ****wittery on the part of the daily management of the ride.

Anyway… oh yeah, the coaster.

Second gripe will come later.

nucIw2i.jpg

The station area is rather nice.

First ride was in the back row, and blimey did I enjoy this. First drop’s actually a bit lacklustre, but the first and second hills kick it hard, and I quite enjoyed the cobra roll. From there, it’s a fairly fast-paced rip through some solid airtime, funky twists and speedy transitions. Right away, brilliant. Ride To Happiness was already on thin ice for best coaster in Belgium.

z1AClph.jpg

The monster airtime hill.

2lgRPwd.jpg

The baby airtime hills.

Single rider queue was about five people, so we figured we’d go straight for that before wandering off into the rest of the park. Got assigned towards the middle of the train, and I must say, I still really enjoyed it. Yes the forces were slightly subdued, but on the whole I was still consistent airtime and dynamic pacing. Yeah, move over Plopsaland, this is what it’s all about. The only thing I’d change, would be to maybe reprofile some of the final bunny hops to be a bit longer so they sustained the floater a little better. Oh and maybe change the first drop for something… good.

f85o3mg.jpg

Oooo, creative focus.

kRK4irR.jpg

Yeeeet.

We had the fastpass, so didn’t have to play the game juggling queue times, but instead decided we’d go ride Pulsar as the sun was out and the temperature was rising – better to do it now than on the way home, we figured.

ECwHeq2.jpg

It looks absolutely fantastic.

They only ran this on one train all day, which suggests that something was wrong with the other one, as the queue was consistently very long all day and would easily have justified it from an operational perspective.

6S8Pqtw.jpg

The final reverse launch was a particular highlight.

I actually really enjoyed this. The launches packed a lot more of a punch than I expected them to, and the airtime on the towers is pretty pleasant. It’s also a great spectacle, both onride and offride, watching the train pass freely backwards then come crashing into the water on the way back through. Didn’t get soaked, but definitely wouldn’t have described myself as dry following the ride. All in, great.

5LXTEAL.jpg

Boom!

From here, it was time to lap the lake, ticking off things as we went.

First up was Tiki Waka – which was looking fantastic against a blue sky with its lovely theming. The ride itself was ace too, with a great mix of turns, twists, those fab floaty s-bend things you get on these. Seriously a 10/10 ride, this. We were beaming!

m8E26TB.jpg

Dropping out of one of the many MCBRs.

eSmP7IT.jpg

Weeeee!

dp3E9Gn.jpg

The view from the little Tiki Trail that passes through the ride were brilliant too, such a nice interactive feature.

3FtZWVQ.jpg

The theming setup here is nice too, making it look like the train is heading up a wooden ramp.

Feeling thoroughly buzzed from that ride, we headed towards the first of Walibi Belgium’s great dark rides – Revenge of Tutankhamen.

It has some great scenes and interactive elements, and even has a varied ending depending on whether you do a good, okay or bad job as a collective ride vehicle. Unfortunately on our first ride, the second row of riders from another group baaaadly let the side down and we ended up getting spited through the ‘failure’ ending. We knew we’d be back, so hoped that we’d do a better job the second time. Overall, very good though.

Psyke Underground was just as intense as I remembered it being, but sadly the rave/disco was lacking in the loop portion which definitely impacted the overall ride experience.

We rode the log flume, which had just as disgusting water as Bobbejaanland’s and Plopsaland’s had had, but featured a backwards drop and then the epic forwards double drop. Smiles all round for those double drops, always.

Time for the second frustrating thing of the day – man their food service was awful. We purposefully avoided eating in the middle of major lunch break times, but the queue for the food place (opposite Popcorn Revenge) took at least 30mins to serve around 15 people. And this is fast food – curries, burgers, chips, stir fry – it’s en masse slop it out and off you go. It was chronic. I think understaffing, and understaffing by junior staff without any semblance of management, was the issue here. Very frustrating, and definitely avoidable. Thankfully, in their defence, the food was decent and a the indoor seating area was quiet, a welcome break from the sun and heat, and clean.

We’d drawn metaphorical straws for who would ride the Boomerang with the person who needed the cred (the other loser would have to ride the SLC), but decided that we should try Popcorn Revenge first to at least let the lunch go down.

gdBeiba.jpg

Loved the façade for this one too, brilliant.

Oh man, how good is this ride? Such a creative use of a very small space, and I loved the shooting action, the animations, the theming, the chaotic nature of the ride vehicles moving between scenes, oh it was a joy. I wasn’t very good at scoring points, but it was ear-to-ear smiles all way through. We got off genuinely floored by how fun this was. My only complaint was that the could have done with pumping some popcorn scent throughout the ride.

Boomerang was next, it was hateful.

Thankfully, that did mean I got to skip the SLC, which is one of the worse ones as I recall from my last visit.

Hopped on the woodie, which was hilariously terrible. Laughed all the way round, but it was janky as all hell. I tell you what, if they RMC’d that, they’d have one of the best coaster line-ups in Europe (Kondaa, Pulsar, Tiki Waka and an RMC? Wow.).

8HsLI2H.jpg

It was fun, but not good.

At this point we basically did another lap of the park – drop tower (although I skipped this one and let the others ride), another lap on Tiki Waka, another lap on Kondaa (which, I might add, was running beautifully and as we used the fastpass we were able to snag the front row), another go on Tutankhamen (where we did get the good ending as the other people in our car pulled their weight a bit this time), and then the rapids (which had one of the most spiteful sections of water ride I’ve seen outside Florida – in which water hoses essentially shot above the boat and provided a significant soaking), before finishing off with a final ride on Popcorn Revenge.

It was really lovely, and the fastpass made things a doddle.

iZN1PM1.jpg

Up they go.

ttMFf4q.jpg

There aren’t many good vantage points of Kondaa’s turnaround bit, but it does sneak through the trees in places.

MinFtHM.jpg

Same can be said for the second hill, too.

So, my overall impression of Walibi Belgium. What a turnout for the books! It was brilliant. I last visited on a damp day before they actually had anything good, and it was a really, really good day. The rides are great, the theming is (in places) top notch, and the overall atmosphere was a joy. Kondaa is a Top 20 coaster for me, and pips Ride To Happiness for best in Belgium due to it’s consistency. Belgium has really put itself on the map (in my opinion) as one of the best parks going.

We had a short drive back to the apartment, where we had a few drinks before heading out for dinner, drinks and ice cream. Happy, happy goons.

Final park next, and it’ll be a short one.
That second to last picture is ridiculous, great work!

Interesting that you prefer Kondaa over RTH, not done it yet, but quite a few friends have, and they're all the other way around. Personally trying to hold out for Toutatis so I can do a little drive over there picking up this, Toutatis and Disney. However, I have enough clubcard points now for a free tunnel crossing, so we'll have to see if I can hold out. 🙈

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Interesting that you prefer Kondaa over RTH, not done it yet, but quite a few friends have, and they're all the other way around.
I said some of this in my Last Cred Review post, but for me it all just boils down to consistency. Every ride I had on Kondaa was fantastic, whereas we had a couple on RTH without much spin and it's simply not as good. That variation knocks points off, and I think they're so close it's enough. I would totally understand someone ranking them the other way round, it's my subjective view of what I value.

Be under no illusion, mind, they're both absolutely brilliant.

I can't wait to see if Toutatis can take them down! So exciting.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I said some of this in my Last Cred Review post, but for me it all just boils down to consistency. Every ride I had on Kondaa was fantastic, whereas we had a couple on RTH without much spin and it's simply not as good. That variation knocks points off, and I think they're so close it's enough. I would totally understand someone ranking them the other way round, it's my subjective view of what I value.

Be under no illusion, mind, they're both absolutely brilliant.

I can't wait to see if Toutatis can take them down! So exciting.
Sorry if I gave the impression that I was questioning your judgement, I wasn’t, I haven’t done Kondaa, so I’d have to reason to. The fact you’ve said you prefer Kondaa is interesting in a way that makes me want to get out and ride it more!

Having said that, I haven’t had any no / low spin rides on RTH. I’ve ridden it around 40 times, but all before the issues they’ve recently had. I do hope they haven’t changed or adjusted the eddy brakes that increase / limit spin since having those issues. Wasn’t a train, (or trains,) sent back to Mack? 🤔 (I really need to invest in a new tin foil hat haha.)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sorry if I gave the impression that I was questioning your judgement, I wasn’t, I haven’t done Kondaa, so I’d have to reason to. The fact you’ve said you prefer Kondaa is interesting in a way that makes me want to get out and ride it more!
Oh no, no sweat, I didn't take it like that. :)

Having said that, I haven’t had any no / low spin rides on RTH. I’ve ridden it around 40 times, but all before the issues they’ve recently had. I do hope they haven’t changed or adjusted the eddy brakes that increase / limit spin since having those issues. Wasn’t a train, (or trains,) sent back to Mack? 🤔 (I really need to invest in a new tin foil hat haha.)
Yeah, I have wondered that, you know. It wasn't so much that it never span, in fact we had a couple of laps where the spinning was really good and we definitely thought in those laps it was better than Kondaa, but it seemed to vary a lot lap-to-lap for us. Perhaps train weighting wasn't in our favour, or something. I suppose would need someone like you to go ride it again to see if it feels different. :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Day 4 – Bellewaerde

This will be a shorter section – small park with not a lot to say and only a handful of pictures.

Bellewaerde conveniently sits along the route home, and looked to be a decent stopover point before the evening train home. Driving to the park is pleasant enough, but I would criticise their parking situation at the very start. They have big signs pointing to “Bellewaerde Parking” off the main road, with some much smaller signs saying “Mexico Parking” pointing further up the road. Naturally we, along with seemingly every other car, followed the big sign. Only to join a queue of cars who were, one-by-one, being told to head back onto the main road and follow the signs for “Mexico Parking”. Call me old fashioned, but I think at that point I’d try to sort out the road signage.

After driving a few more minutes up the road and down what felt like someone’s driveway, we ended up in the parking and were quickly into the park itself – mercifully their front gate operations were smooth.

I had done no research on all on this park, so took a quick look at the map and quickly realised it’s very linear. We’ll head to the back then, the masses of people we can see are all just coming in and riding the first thing they see.

Eventually we got to the end of the park, in the area where the alpine coasters and shuttle are. One of the group was aiming for his 1300th on Wakala, so we needed to ride both sides of the alpine coaster first.

6beedat.jpg

See, the sign.

I really didn’t like this ride, and I’ll tell you for why:
  • It doesn’t actually do anything, least of all those fun little dips/hops that make alpine coasters really fab.
  • It’s massively dominated by left turns, meaning there’s not really any semblance of racing.
  • The queue line is outrageously over engineered and completely unnecessary.
  • The coaster itself is not a very good choice for a park with essentially no terrain change.
  • It has terrible throughput.
  • It was suffering near constant downtime issues. While in line to ride both sides for probably over an hour in total, we probably only saw about 15mins where both sides were running together.
  • There are two sides, so you have to suffer it all twice.

Redeeming features:
  • It does get some good speed by the end, and the autobrake doesn’t kick in until the final brake run.
  • It’s very high and exposed at the start for the first 30-50m or so.
  • +2
That’s it.

At least it was done now, and we could carry on with our lives.

Had a terrible coffee from one of their food places, and got in line for Wakala. Now this is what I’m talking about. Loved everything about this. It’s Gerstlauer operating at their best, in my opinion. It was smooth, flowly, fun, had decent forces (for a family coaster), the spike over the lake was great, the whole area looked fantastic. It was a joy.

B03TB2q.jpg

This is a particular highlight as it makes good use of the spike.

0yJ1NAb.jpg

The trains look great.

KKrkpSn.jpg

Chessington should have got one of these instead.

Okay, so now we walk back towards the park entrance to ride the other coasters/rides before heading home.

We skipped the log flume and rapids as they had consistently long queues all day and we couldn’t be arsed. The queue for the Tivoli has dropped significantly since we walked past it first thing, so only a two train wait and we were on. This one is really, really, beat up and felt like the track was made out of gravel. Didn’t know it was being taken out until after we got back, but a good idea, I think.

We did want to grab some lunch, but their only food place that would have anything I could eat (coeliac) had very short lunch hours (1100-1400, or summat), so we missed that. Bit frustrating, really, but a Magnum and a slushie would tide me over until we got out of the park.

Next was the Boomerang, which was hateful too. For some reason my 4G was misbehaving in this park, but I was desperately trying to find out it was a relocation from somewhere and that I wouldn’t have to ride it. Alas no, its one of the first ones. To be fair, it was no worse than any of the others, which is good considering its age, but they’re all trash. The only thing keeping me going is knowing that the more of them I ride, the less there are left to ride.

6RVALdS.jpg

Urgh.

The infamously unreliable Topple Tower (or “El Volador”, in this case) was running, so it was hard to pass up the chance to ride it. It was better than I expected (the spinning seats feel much more impactful than they look offride), but it wasn’t amazing by any stretch. I don’t usually go for many flat rides, and this one was no exception.

XUZZIwo.jpg

What I will give it credit for, however, it being quite a spectacle offride!

Final ride of the day was Huracan – which I forgot to take any pictures of. Oops. This is a darkride come coaster, which is refreshingly unique. The darkride section was actually pretty good, but on our ride there was no audio whatsoever playing throughout this section, which made the whole thing a little… odd. Not sure if it’s always like this, but it definitely let it down on our ride. The coaster section is alright, but nothing stunning, as you might expect for something like this. Yeah, decent.

And that was it. It was off to Calais to catch the train. The terminal was busy, but they were able to squeeze us onto an earlier train and cut an hour off our journey, which was great. As on the way out, it was very straightforward and definitely the way I’ll be doing things like this again.

So yeah, there we go. Action packed long weekend, but very fun and actually felt very relaxed the whole time.

I’ll post a summary shortly.

TilenB

Strata Poster
There are two sides, so you have to suffer it all twice.
See, this is where not counting Alpine coasters comes in handy. I did one of the sides for the novelty factor, but couldn't be arsed to attempt the other. Felt better reriding Wakala through SRQ during the time I would spend queueing for the other side.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Perhaps train weighting wasn't in our favour, or something. I suppose would need someone like you to go ride it again to see if it feels different. :p
Maybe you just need a fatty like me to ride it with you. 🙈😂 (raises that question again, is good balance or uneven weight best?)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Maybe you just need a fatty like me to ride it with you. 🙈😂 (raises that question again, is good balance or uneven weight best?)
Haha, yes come to think of it our group is probably fairly evenly matched - +/-5kg overall, I reckon. We did try purposefully weighting the train twice - the first time we sat the two heaviest side-by-side, with the lightest person on their own, however the ride-op batched a single rider into the spare seat and undid most of our effort. Another lap we tried putting the two heaviest people back to back, and the third seat did not get filled, and the spin was good, but not the best we had in the day which seemed to be somewhat random.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Summary

Finally, the stats!

New creds: 20
Total creds: 37
New parks: 2
Total parks: 4

Milestones: 750 = Fury, Bobbejaanland (kinda milestone)

Best Park: Walibi Belgium by a landslide, however the other three parks really are very nice.

Best Cred: Close between Ride to Happiness and Kondaa – but in the end I think Kondaa just pips it. Belgium has no right to be this good for creds!

And the route(s):
6O6u7aI.jpg

Green = Transportation, Blue = Nights, Red = Parks
Nice and simple, yippee.

Overall, we had a great time! Nice to get away again, and an awesome set of coasters (both in terms of quality and quantity) to add to the count. I can’t believe just how good Belgium is now, it’s a fantastic place to go for a quick weekend away!

Cheers for reading – hope you enjoyed the pictures too. :)

Until next time.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Haha, yes come to think of it our group is probably fairly evenly matched - +/-5kg overall, I reckon. We did try purposefully weighting the train twice - the first time we sat the two heaviest side-by-side, with the lightest person on their own, however the ride-op batched a single rider into the spare seat and undid most of our effort. Another lap we tried putting the two heaviest people back to back, and the third seat did not get filled, and the spin was good, but not the best we had in the day which seemed to be somewhat random.
TBH I think the weight of the trains is that vast that 100kg won't make nearly as much difference to the spin as other factors, though I am clearly no physicist.

We did have the ride op tell us that he was going to give us crazy spin on one ride, and it seemed to be the wildest, but I'm fairly sure it was just a placebo effect. Unless the eddy brakes can be controlled from the op cabin?

Of all of the rides in the world, I think that is one that I would most like an engineering tour / talk on! I have so many questions.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's not a extremely in depth tour, but it's deffo worth a watch😃 (English subtitles available)

OK thanks, so 2 key takeaways from that then...

firstly, they can control the initial strength of the launch spin from the op cabin!!!

Screenshot 2022-09-08 153456.png

And secondly, they were, when this video was made, running it without the spin / eddy brakes engaged. So that genuinely may have changed since the issues they were having. Would be interesting to know.

Screenshot 2022-09-08 153608.png

Looks like it would be fairly easy to check when boarding what position the brake sits in, and have an idea of how much spin you'll get. :)

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Love the Tiki Waka shot where the trains at the top of its noninverting corkscrew-looking thing. That one really stood out to me.

Another very well done trip report in general, your photography is impressive :)