What's new

Laser gets new trains and is renamed, but debut is postponed

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Laser, the coaster that stood at Dorney Park for over two decades before being sold last year (original topic here), will have new trains and a new name. Meyer-Rosenzweig, the company that purchased and shipped the coaster back to Germany, have named the Schwarzkopf double looper Teststrecke (Test track). They also purchased new trains stating that renovating the old ones wouldn't have been cost effective at roughly 400,000 Euros.
The cousins Theo Rosenzweig and Thomas Meyer bought Laser/Teststrecke with intention of returning it to it's roots as a traveling coaster on the German fair circuit and were hoping to have it's premier at the Maimesse in Minden, Germany this month. But a delay in delivering the new trains forced the cancellation of the Maimesse debut, even though the track had been completely overhauled in order to pass the tough Germany fair circuit inspection (TÜV).
"We inspected every nut and bolt on the entire ride in addition to installing a system monitoring computer as required in Europe," Rosenzweig told the Mindener Tageblatt newspaper.
"I thought I didn't hear correctly" he said about being informed of the delay with the train delivery. "It isn't easy to erect a ride this large in a town like Minden, but we had plenty of time for the construction, which always includes difficulties with an undertaking such as this. Above and beyond that, we also would have had craftsmen standing by that know the track inside out. That would have been a great advantage for us," he added.
Now Teststrecke is scheduled to make it's debut at the Hamburger Dom fair, that runs from July 24 through August 23, 2009. "The track has to be built much faster at the huge fairgrounds like Hamburg, Stuttgart or Munich," Rosenzweig added. All pre-debut preparations will now be carried out at the family-owned Oeynhausen workshop. According to Rosenzweig, the new trains are supposed to look similar to Formula 1 racing cars.

Too bad those of you going on the European Live in July aren't able to stop by and ride this great little coaster.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^Err... :p:lol:

This is quite a nice surprise.

I'm there the day before the Live begins, so I'm definetly going down to ride this! Good to see that Schwarzkopf coasters are still getting some love.

Somehow, I didn't even know it was moved, so all of this comes as quite a surprise to me anyways :p .

Sucks that the opening will be delayed, but at least it wasn't just demolished.

marc

CF Legend
I am like :( as I really want to ride it but simply can not afford the extra on top of the trip.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Same, I'd love to ride a classic like this but money just stops me. There's actually a lot around Denmark and Germany that I'd love to do but it simply isn't feasbile for me.

Glad to see it's being looked after though and not just being scrapped, like we're finding a lot more nowadays.

Ben

CF Legend
I'd be really sad I can't ride it in Germany, but, I have the credit ;)

Yay it's going to be running soon! Laser is all kinds of awesome!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
With what they've invested in it, I can guarantee that Laser/Teststrecke will be around for years to come. It is, after all, the only ride operated by the family-owned company and there are plenty of fairs in Germany to go round. Next year it will start the fair circuit much earlier in the season & make more appearances.
My guess is that it will appear at the Stuttgarter Volksfest in late September next, unless they manage to get a coveted spot at the Oktoberfest in Munich instead. So there will be plenty of opportunities for some of you to get a shot at riding this baby. I'll be riding it later this year for sure.

Rob

Mega Poster
Great news that they're not just scrapping this traditional ride, returning to it's true home. Yay. I wonder who's making the new trains though, maybe the son of Anton Schwarzkopf, he runs a company designed to make spares for his fathers rides, although possibly kumbak or geurstlauer?

Hmmm, just out of interest, in Germany are these all that popular? Especially with the likes of Mamba and Silver Star, are schwarzy's much to the public?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Mamba & Silver Star are not traveling coasters like Laser/Teststrecke or Olympia Looping. Germans do like their theme parks, but they pale in comparison to their fairs (the most popular entertainment in Germany other than Bundesliga games). If they could figure out how to move B&M coasters from city to city, then I'm sure they would become more popular than Schwarzkopf loopers. I think Laser/Teststrecke has a good chance of being just as popular as Alpina-Bahn, when it comes to traveling coasters. Of course nothing will be a popular as Olympia Looping. :wink: