What's new

Knotts Berry Farm 2023

Matt N

CF Legend
Am I right in guessing that this layout would likely be a B&M Hyper? B&M seems to be Cedar Fair’s go to manufacturer for hyper and giga coasters, and that layout does look quite B&M from the top-down view.

Interesting… I wonder which we’ll get. Hyper or giga?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Booo! :(
(referring to the height change not Matt's post)

EDIT: It's actually not even a hyper. It's 180 feet for the drop.

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Booo! :(
(referring to the height change not Matt's post)

EDIT: It's actually not even a hyper. It's 180 feet for the drop.
I would imagine it would be a hyper. Those numbers are for tunnel entry which is not the base of the drop. So if the tunnels low point is 20ft under ground which isnt unlikely then the drop height would be above 200ft.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
While disappointingly smaller and shorter; it's really worth emphasizing this new layout would put the coaster deeper into the heart of Knott's property, away from private property/nearby neighbors. Surely not an accident, and could be a simple tactic of what would be passed by the local zoning board.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Given that Buena Park is listed at roughly 75 feet above sea level, it is probably in the 170-175 ft height range with a 200-220ish ft drop, so more in SFOG Goliath territory. Maybe disappointing from a hot, nasty speed standpoint, but B&M's smaller hypers tend to be pretty fantastic.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the West Coast doesn’t currently have a B&M Hyper Coaster at all, does it? So in that regard, it would still be a new experience for that part of the country!
Yes, but the only thing that hits even 300 feet there is Superman: Escape from Krypton. 200 feet at least has Goliath.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm sure they'll qualify it as "California's first B&M Hyper Coaster" in true Cedar Fair fashion. But yes, there are already Goliath, X2, Xcel, and Superman that break the 200 ft. barrier.

nCalCoasterRider

Roller Poster
I can only imagine that they would have to design every component to be flexible
not entirely, the dynamic loads from a train would need to be combined with the dynamic loads for the earthquake. There are flexibility requirements but for steel structures, it's more about ductility (Bending before fracture) than about flexibility. Keep in mind there are multiple other B&M coasters in California, and steel structures in downtown LA that are 3 times as tall as this. So Designing for earthquakes is important, and will change the design from a what it would be in, say Ohio, but it won't change the cost by more that 10% and it won't fundamentally alter the structural system.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Looks like it'd actually be a B&M Mega but the fact that they'd have to shut down a major road to build that tunnel under it makes me highly skeptical of that layout being the one chosen. I absolutely believe it was another proposed layout, along with several other proposals we haven't seen, we'll just have to wait and see which one they actually chose whenever it get's announced.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Whether it ends up a Giga or a Hyper, it should be a good, high capacity addition to the Knotts lineup. Hopefully not too many folks will fault the park for having the nerve to add “just a mega coaster” if it doesn’t end up being the “taller, faster, longer than Fury 325” monster we initially hoped for.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
not entirely, the dynamic loads from a train would need to be combined with the dynamic loads for the earthquake. There are flexibility requirements but for steel structures, it's more about ductility (Bending before fracture) than about flexibility. Keep in mind there are multiple other B&M coasters in California, and steel structures in downtown LA that are 3 times as tall as this. So Designing for earthquakes is important, and will change the design from a what it would be in, say Ohio, but it won't change the cost by more that 10% and it won't fundamentally alter the structural system.

Needless to say B&M have plenty of experience designing coasters in Earthquake zones as it is. Not just the Californian B&Ms but out east. From the Japanese Inverts and Flyers to the the Floorless and Dive Machine in Taiwan all are in areas with strong rules on earthquake resistance being built into structures. Not exactly out of their wheelhouse.

SeanC

Mega Poster
bummer that it's not a giga honestly. But if we do get a hyper at knotts, I imagine it would be the best ride in the park and could challenge Magic Mountain's top coasters for the best one in the state... I gotta knock X2 in my rankings for its terrible capacity and slow ops and twisted colossus for basically never dueling .