What's new

Knott’s Berry Farm | MonteZOOMa: The Forbidden Fortress | Schwarzkopf Launch Refurb | 2024?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
If they've got to replace sections then I suppose it is what it is, but I really hope that the end result is faithful to the original. I'm all for refurbs where required, and when they're done well, they can be great (e.g. Turbine/Psyche Underground), but I'm getting a little tired of parks gutting perfectly servicable classic rides in ways that fundamentally change their character. Here's hoping that this one isn't going to be too big a change.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I am sure Cedar Fair will refurbish Montezooma just fine. Just don't expect the punchy launch that it used to have, because if they retrofit it with the same launch as Psyké Underground, it's going to be a bit tamer.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Weird. I have a lot of questions. Assuming it now has LSMs, which seems like a safe assumption, will the train just stop in the station on the return trip if it begins with a backwards launch? Will it still blow through the station and up the rear spike if it begins with a forward launch? It's an interesting idea, but I'm curious how it affects the ride cycles.

JuliOverbank

Roller Poster
Weird. I have a lot of questions. Assuming it now has LSMs, which seems like a safe assumption, will the train just stop in the station on the return trip if it begins with a backwards launch? Will it still blow through the station and up the rear spike if it begins with a forward launch? It's an interesting idea, but I'm curious how it affects the ride cycles.
Maybe they will make a double/tripple launch of it, depending on the direction of the first launch. Reduces the peak-power needed, but would be a not-so-thrilling experience...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So Knott's just released this:-

PLEASE tell me they aren't putting KumbaK trains on it...
unknown.png

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The restraints look identical to those KumbaK ones found on T3, perhaps with very minor modifications. But the shape of them look near identical to those KumbaK ones.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
WAIT is Premier actually Kumbak!? ;)

Yes, both restraint styles look super similar - I think they're ultimately going with the new Premier comfort collars, same as you can find on Ice Breaker:

iu

Honestly impressed with all of the TLC - definitely more than just a launch motor replacement! In earnest though, will absolutely miss the simple, Schwarzkopf lap bars...

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Okay - WHY (imagine the "why" in Bart Simpson squealing vioce) do they have to add those over the shoulder belts??? Why can't they go with a Gerstlauer or Sunkid train?

Indy

Hyper Poster
Okay - WHY (imagine the "why" in Bart Simpson squealing vioce) do they have to add those over the shoulder belts??? Why can't they go with a Gerstlauer or Sunkid train?
It might be for insurance purposes. I'm sure they could have gone with an option without the shoulder belts, but it's more economical to have them. I'm sure that's a contributing factor as to why all of Cedar Fair's B&M mega coasters have seatbelts.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Such a downgrade having a coaster with lapbars to be overhauled with ****ing comfort collars. Sick of these, as they do nothing and hinder operations.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It might be for insurance purposes. I'm sure they could have gone with an option without the shoulder belts, but it's more economical to have them. I'm sure that's a contributing factor as to why all of Cedar Fair's B&M mega coasters have seatbelts.
I could also go into a long diatribe about how the new magnetic launch design is probably form-fit for the Premier trains, which would have way too much overhead cost to R&D a customized design to use the old Schwarzkopf train.

But instead, I'll resort to calling Knott's Berry Farm cowards.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I could also go into a long diatribe about how the new magnetic launch design is probably form-fit for the Premier trains, which would have way too much overhead cost to R&D a customized design to use the old Schwarzkopf train.

But instead, I'll resort to calling Knott's Berry Farm cowards.
Why not go with the tried and tested Gerstlauer? It has operated for quite some time without issues. And they have proven capable of providing LSM launches with adaptable configurations (like on Fury).