What's new

Knott’s Berry Farm | MonteZOOMa: The Forbidden Fortress | Schwarzkopf Launch Refurb | 2024?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The answer as always is yes/no/maybe/of course/nobody cares/aquatrax
Well, that clears that up then 😂 😂 😂

I asked the question in jest, but the more I think about it, the more I'd be interested to hear people's opinions...

Because on the one hand, I know there are those that say 'unless the entire track is changed.' But on the other hand, the ride experience will be completely different, and almost the only thing remaining will be a part of the original track, with new trains, a new launch, a new ride layout (or perhaps 'course' would be the more accurate term,) and even lots of new track.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Well, that clears that up then 😂 😂 😂

I asked the question in jest, but the more I think about it, the more I'd be interested to hear people's opinions...

Because on the one hand, I know there are those that say 'unless the entire track is changed.' But on the other hand, the ride experience will be completely different, and almost the only thing remaining will be a part of the original track, with new trains, a new launch, a new ride layout (or perhaps 'course' would be the more accurate term,) and even lots of new track.

its an interesting conundrum. The same could be said of Python, Hulk and Nemesis (soon).

Personally I'm inclined to say no if the ride experience is essentially the same, (Hulk, Python and Nemesis (soon) . The Big One has been slowly retracked over the last few years, as has every woodie ever and i dont think anyone consideres any of those to be new ride. the only difference is these were done in one go.

Now when the ride experience changes its really hard to say where the line is.
Colossus to Twisted Colossus i think everyone would say 100% a New Ride
But what about Turn Of The Century at SFGAm when they added the the 2 vertical loops and it became Demon in 1980?
Now thats a tough call and that was a bigger change than this will be.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
Even more so, Space Mountain at Disneyland, when they tore out the original track, and replaced it with a duplicate track. Or Hulk at IOA.

In this particular case for MonteZOOMa, I'd say it is a different credit, because it'll be such a different experience.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
I'd say if it doesnt drastically change the ride experience then no.
Hulk, Nemesis and Python - No way are those new credits.
MonteZOOMa - If the layout and launch system are substantially changing, and only the station remains the same.... I guess so yeah

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
MonteZOOMa - If the layout and launch system are substantially changing, and only the station remains the same.... I guess so yeah
Strange considaration, because Psyké Underground at Walibi Belgium does have a different launch system (Gerstlauer LIM launch instead of Schwarzkopf Flywheel launch) but it is still the same credit.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Strange considaration, because Psyké Underground at Walibi Belgium does have a different launch system (Gerstlauer LIM launch instead of Schwarzkopf Flywheel launch) but it is still the same credit.
But it's not just the launch system, that's the point, the trains look set to travel a different course / sequence. There looks to also be new trains and (some) new track. Essentially, all that will remain of the old coaster is a portion of the old track. with everything else, including the course / sequence the train travels in looking to be different.

EDIT: I don't have the original cred, and no idea if / when I'd get the (potentially) new one. So I have no stake in this debate, but as a complete neutral, I would probably class this as a new cred. If it did the same thing exactly, but with a different launch, I probably wouldn't.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
But it's not just the launch system, that's the point, the trains look set to travel a different course / sequence. There looks to also be new trains and (some) new track. Essentially, all that will remain of the old coaster is a portion of the old track. with everything else, including the course / sequence the train travels in looking to be different.

EDIT: I don't have the original cred, and no idea if / when I'd get the (potentially) new one. So I have no stake in this debate, but as a complete neutral, I would probably class this as a new cred. If it did the same thing exactly, but with a different launch, I probably wouldn't.
If I am right the only difference between the new MonteZOOMa and the new Psyké Underground will be the launch sequence.
The Belgium coaster also has new track and a new train as did it as a Schwarzkopf coaster.
But the Belgium coaster has the same kind of launch sequence as the Schwarzkopf coaster did. MonteZOOMa will get a totally different sequence from the original coaster.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
We have to wait and see the finished product. On Pyske the only track replaced was with the new launch and break-run. On this the National Rollercoaster Museum posted as they got the old train that they also got a piece of track that was from the top of the loop. That so far sounds like it could be a new credit.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Walls have come down around part of the refurbished Fiesta Village and La Revolución managed to open today with its shiny new teal colours. Dragon Swing is up next for a repaint, it’s currently sporting a layer of white primer;
F417AD0B-7CE9-41BA-99A1-620B4551CDDE.jpeg
F8611289-8F56-4E91-9138-99C3DC3D4A05.jpeg
A9F5171C-46AB-4026-A939-E6DF419126EC.jpeg
9D733F5A-389F-43CB-AEC6-A74244471F88.jpeg
Source

As for Montezooma itself, it has remained silent. The rumor mill, however, has not. Word has it that Cedar Fair managed to hire a bunch of Disney Imagineers who were let go by Bob Chapek, people who were credited as having worked on Rise of the Resistance’s queue. Allegedly Cedar Fair has given them the equivalent of a blank cheque to work with, so we could be seeing something very special indeed once Knott’s turns their attention to the coaster. Time will tell.

bigmac1789

Roller Poster
Interesting it looks nothing like the concept art.... unless they are gonna add more

Attachments

• image (2).png
    image (2).png
    657.4 KB · Views: 122

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Screamscape recently put out an ill rumor about the Montezooma project, suggesting that manufacturers had entered a pay dispute with the park, stalling progress on the coaster. Lance did clarify afterwards that this supposed to have been sorted out by now, but nethertheless perhaps all is not well behind the scenes?
Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 6.16.25 PM.png

Matt N

CF Legend
Is it known which manufacturers were originally hired to refurbish the ride?

I too am curious about why Gerstlauer were not chosen given their prior credentials with revamping Schwarzkopf rides.

rollercoaster.jpg

Roller Poster
Based on the shape of lapbars in the promo teaser, people figured out that the train was from Kumbak. But I don't think it was ever officially announced/confirmed.

Edit to add: Maurer was rumored to be involved too among others

Last edited:

#BringBackWindstorm

Roller Poster
Is it known which manufacturers were originally hired to refurbish the ride?

I too am curious about why Gerstlauer were not chosen given their prior credentials with revamping Schwarzkopf rides.
Maybe HangTime's spotty operations possibly scared FUN from investing into more attractions from Gerstlauer. So they went with other manufacturers for post 2018 CAPEX projects.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
These Cedar Fair jerks picked a beloved original Schwarzkopf shuttle that was perfectly fine to run and maintain for at least another decade, cheaped out for an unknown company to overhaul the rebrand, had them tear the ride to pieces about a year ago, then halfway through find out they don't know what the heck they're doing?

Absurd.

I'm so fed up with how Cedar Fair has treated Knott's.

I was there in September 2022 and it was so sad I was ashamed I brought my friends.