What's new

Volcano removal and possible replacement?

Pear

Strata Poster
Well it's official! After almost a year of remaining dormant, Volcano: The Blast Coaster will be demolished after 20 years of operation.

1ff0a7c295f87bdc554c382795f91875.png

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2019/park-update

I'm excited to see what replaces it. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sad news as I never got to ride it. Will be interested to see if KD works up plans for the volcano and area.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Another One Bites the Dust. Stinks that another one of a kind coaster is being removed. At least I got the credit while I still could, unknowing that it would shut down the very next year. Oh well, let's hope that the Dominion keeps that volcano facade for something even more epic in the future.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Not going to happen. I might be wrong, but the structure has had many issues over the years and every plan to do something with it has been scrapped in the past.

Loved this coaster. Experienced my all-time favorite coaster moment on my first ride when the kid, wife and I got to the park 10 minutes before closing and entered the Volcano without seeing or knowing anything about the coaster. Those two launches into complete darkness... WOW!
Gonna miss this one.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Very sad about this. Rode it a handful of times on my one trip to KD and really liked it. Definitely needs to have something solid to replace it.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Objective hat on - Crapacity, horrendous overheating queue line, technical nightmare to run, ghetto-rigged disaster into preexisting structure. Yeah, I can totally see why they would close it.

Personal hat on - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NO HOW ****ING DARE YOU! NO! NO! NO! NO!NO! NO !NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! **** YOU KD! **** YOU!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
If they get rid of it, they need another launch coaster. Possibly over 200ft tall? That would fill 2 gaps in their lineup.

EDIT:- I totally forgot they have BSC and FOF. Perhaps a 200ft tall B&M invert for the future, taking the records of Banshee and Alpengeist?

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Oh no, so sad to hear. And also strange, this news come just as the second-ever launched, full-circuit Invert is due to open in Guangzhou Wanda. Seems like there can be only one.

davidm

Strata Poster
Aaaahh that is a bit of a shame, but understandable if it were such a pain to keep running - can't keep throwing good money after bad and all that.

It was a mess of a ride, squeezed randomly inside a plastic mountain, but a beautiful mess nonetheless. Vividly recall my first ride years ago when I knew enough to know that it had a big launch thing going on, but I didn't know enough to know that it had two big launch things going on, so the second one just took my breath away - great stuff.
Will be missed. :(

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Very sad news; I was really hoping I could ride Volcano one day!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
<insert angry/crying/Noooooo! gif here>
Loved that coaster. I mean, yes it was a bit weird, but in a good way. I'm another one who boarded the coaster completely unaware that it had 2 launches, and so was totally shell-shocked by the 2nd one. It was night time, there were fireworks going off - top 10 enthusiast 'moment' right there.
RIP.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Not surprised to hear this as it has had so much downtime and I was spited by it last year. It looked interesting though.
It's quite a big area so opens up a prime spot for something good though.

Would like a newer launched intamin but not sure they'll go back down that road.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
If they get rid of it, they need another launch coaster. Possibly over 200ft tall? That would fill 2 gaps in their lineup.

EDIT:- I totally forgot they have BSC and FOF. Perhaps a 200ft tall B&M invert for the future, taking the records of Banshee and Alpengeist?
Alpengeist is too close to Kings Dominion I'd imagine for an Invert. I still think they'll be getting something from B&M like a Wingrider