What's new

Kim makes one of those Japanese figurine Model things

kimahri

CF Legend
So yeah, In my favorite comic book shop they also get cool and random stuff in to sell and at the moment they had a plastic Model Kit for Danbo.

Danbo is a Cardboard Robot from the Manga Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma. It's a story about a little 5 year old girl who just goes about daily life doing, five year old things with a slightly exaggerated comedic style. It's adorable and somewhat relateable. Anyway, Danbo appears later in the series as a costume by one of the character for their school thing that they do over there and he just kinda, broke out from the series and became a cultural icon for Innocence, according to the internet.

There's some more stuff about him here.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/danbo

Right on to actually making Danbo. First and foremost These things a bloody hard to do! Everything is so small and tiny and fiddly for my massive non-asian hands not to mention the instructions were in japanese and had warnings all over which I have no clue on how to read...

tZ3hW.jpg

The box, it was on sale for £30 but I used my store credit.

yidXS.jpg

The parts

WNlKh.jpg

And the instructions. If anyone can read them please tell me what the warnings were for...

ZhbIi.jpg

His leggies. This thing is very finely made, all the plastic tags were getting in the way. I ended up getting a nailfile to try sort them out

hYOi5.jpg

The body

d0hXF.jpg

Armies, which keep falling off...

i5JIR.jpg

and the head. Now he's all done!

Tz6YZ.jpg

Here's the little Coins to "power him". Given their size I was like, **** that. There's also this tiny little switch that's like, smaller than a pen nib. I lost that bit but meh, it wouldn't go on anyway. Also there's a bit at the back where another cardboard flap goes on where the hinges were about as thick as a strand of hair, I broke that bit as well but you can't really see it.

j3tHt.jpg

Finally here he is compired to the box he came in. Yeaaaaah.

All in all. I'm not getting another one of these. Ever it took me an hour to build this thing, as adorable as it is. It was fun but it's too bloody fiddly. Hope you enjoyed me wasting your time with this silly crap, it's something different at least and would you expect anything less of me to do something with weird japanese stuff.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Am I the only when smelling the irony of making a cardboard character out of fiddly plastic? I've got some computer boxes here that could have made you a child sized version... For free... And not fiddly!!!

(waits for some over zealous computer agent to put together the words child and fiddly in the same paragraph and turn up on my doorstep :roll: :lol: ).

I used to make Airfix models as a child. Well, I used to save up pocket money, buy them, and then my dad would make them because they were too difficult.

It's worth noting at this point that my father has sledgehammers for fingers and the most delicate he gets is not following through when he farts at the dinner table.

The best was the battleship I bought that he made. It looked awesome on the box, like yours Kim, all huge and fantastic looking. You expect to build something that looks just as good and is 10 times the size of the box. This battleship was fantastic. It was covered in guns, each about the size of those coins Kim posted above. I think my Dad had to glue on about 20 of the little ****. It took him about two weeks to complete and it looked ****. It was just a mass of melted plastic and white plastic cement vaguely in the shape of the Titanic post iceberg.

When I was about 10 or 11 I tried again with planes, and it was much more successful. I've probably still got the models in the loft at home. I also did a lot of cardboard models too like Hixee's recent mask. I carried on making models and painting game miniatures and the like until I was about 15 and old enough to get served in the pub :)

I might post some piccies of the Cthulhu monsters I painted at uni (that age when you discover that you have a lot of time on your hands, but not enough money to fill the time with beer (after you've spent it all in the first two weeks on CDs and beer ;) ).

peep

CF Legend
Haha, that is totally the thing that is in the new McDonalds advert about their charity for kids in hospitals.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
As warned ;)

Tsathoggua
bd58700a8cdc9a28c9fd36d0.jpg

Dhole
186910598ca92bbe0b6373bd.jpg

And a Flying Polyp
21e4dc59a688b190d70d841d.jpg

Attachments

• tsathoggua.JPG
    tsathoggua.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 12
  • dhole.JPG
    dhole.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 12
  • flyingpolyp.JPG
    flyingpolyp.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 12

kimahri

CF Legend
Joey said:
Yeah but, why... want a £30 model of it?

I'm familiar with the backround of the model and a fan of it? It's not as scary as some of the stuff I've seen with out Importation put on top of the cost.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Have you ever kissed a girl?

Mike

Giga Poster
Was anyone else expecting Kim to be given a ton of cardboard boxes that he would have to tape together and cut holes in? :lol:

And £30... Well, at least it makes me feel better for adding random crap to my shopping basket so I could get up to the £25 needed for home delivery from Asda!