What's new

KBF PTR 3/21/10

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Last weekend was West Coast Bash, a TPR event held at SFMM and for the first time this year also KBF. I could only attend one day, so I decided to check out KBF since I went to SFMM last year for WCB.

We got an hour of morning ERT on Montezooma's Revenge, Jaguar and Timberline Twister, another hour of morning ERT on Supreme Scream and Boomerang, a chance to go inside Calico Mine Train, a tour of the parks' Train, lunch, an S&S Presentation, Q&A with park management, and an hour of nighttime ERT on Ghostrider, Silver Bullet and Sierra Sidewinder. It was an awesome day.

Ride Count:

Montezooma's Revenge - 2
Jaguar - 2
Timberline Twister - 1
Supreme Scream - 2
Silver Bullet - 3
Ghostrider - 3
Pony Express - 1
Bigfoot Rapids - 1
Perilous Plunge - 1
Timber Mountain Log Ride - 2
Calico Mine Train - 1

P1010063-1.jpg

Aren't these trash cans just so nice and orderly in a row.
P1010173-2.jpg

Monte was our first ride.
P1010171-2.jpg

And then next door for a ride on Jaguar.
P1010067-1.jpg

This is the only good picture I got inside Calico Mine Train. You'll have to go to WCB and see it for yourself. :)
P1010068-1.jpg

It's the famous Galloping Goose...
P1010076-2.jpg

Roundhouse tour...
P1010077-1.jpg

P1010079-1.jpg

Cedar Fair signs FTW.
P1010092.jpg

Boomerang opened for us! (It's closed for re-hab.)
P1010093.jpg

But I passed.
P1010090-1.jpg

Perilous Plunge would have been fun at 8:30 AM.
P1010096-1.jpg

Silver Bullet testing.
P1010098-1.jpg

P1010103-1.jpg

P1010108-1.jpg

P1010110-1.jpg

P1010111-1.jpg

Rattle rattle rattle rattle rattle rattle
P1010112-1.jpg

I spy a human test dummy.
P1010113-1.jpg

P1010119-1.jpg

I accomplished something on Sunday. That's right. I rode Ghostrider. In the back. Twice. In a row. During nighttime ERT. These improper sentences are really dramatic.
P1010123-1.jpg

We gave Pony Express a courtesy ride.
P1010126-1.jpg

"Hey man, you know, I rode that uh, the Pony Ride, you know it was AWESOME, just like, it was short, dude. Why?"
P1010132-1.jpg

"That's why it's called Pony Express..." - Q&A.
P1010135.jpg

Having fun in there?
P1010133-1.jpg

I'm sorry I took such a long break from you Silver Bullet. I'm back to stalk you again!
P1010136.jpg

P1010137.jpg

P1010141-1.jpg

Chicken asks us where we're going. To eat chicken, of course.

Ahh, lunch time. I didn't eat, but there was a water balloon toss, so it was awesome anyway.
P1010144.jpg

After lunch we went over by TGI Fridays to get pictures of Ghostrider.
P1010148-1.jpg

Those nightrides on it were amazing, btw. It was actually smooth and filled with wooden-coaster-like-air-time! Ghostrider went from being an extremely painful and average coaster to an awesome Top 20 must ride.
P1010151-1.jpg

P1010164.jpg

Oh, Perilous Plunge has a splash now.
P1010165.jpg

Just about four more weeks!
P1010168-1.jpg

Gotta get another Monte ride in before closing.
P1010175-1.jpg

Knott's at sunset.
P1010176-1.jpg

Silver Bullet was nice at night.
P1010179-1.jpg

And that's all I have for this event! WCB is great, I highly recommend it!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
CreditCrazy said:
We got an hour of morning ERT on Montezooma's Revenge, Jaguar and Timberline Twister, another hour of morning ERT on Supreme Scream and Boomerang, a chance to go inside Calico Mine Train, a tour of the parks' Train, lunch, an S&S Presentation, Q&A with park management, and an hour of nighttime ERT on Ghostrider, Silver Bullet and Sierra Sidewinder.
Exactly the same as their Winter Coaster Solace, which is on April 24th for anyone interested (plus you don't have to deal with Robb & his sheep :wink: ).

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
SnooSnoo said:
No pictures of you lover? Disappointment. :p

Nice report.

We were supposed to get a free on-ride pic on Ghostrider, so we were going to do...something...:)P) during our back row ERT ride, but it turns out the booths closed at park closing. :(

East Coast (er) General said:
Exactly the same as their Winter Coaster Solace, which is on April 24th for anyone interested (plus you don't have to deal with Robb & his sheep ).

I'd much rather deal with Sheep than ACErs. ;)

Brad said:
Without Xcelerator. The park is Crap and Ghost Rider is the worst coaster I have rode.

Despite that, lovely TR

Why thank you.

marc

CF Legend
Brad said:
Without Xcelerator. The park is Crap and Ghost Rider is the worst coaster I have rode.

Despite that, lovely TR

Even with it the park is crap lol.

Good TR some good pictures there.

I do need to go back though for a few coasters as one was in bits and one was being built :(

robbalvey

Roller Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
(plus you don't have to deal with Robb & his sheep :wink: ).
You forgot to mention that you're only upset with Robb & his sheep because you broke the rules of the event you attended and the park you visited, got caught, banned from doing any more trips or events because of it and refused to take personal responsibility for your own actions.

I think most people who haven't created drama for us will probably tell you we put on some of the best theme park events the industry has to offer. But if you create problems during an event, we kick your ass out of there. We don't have the time or patience to put up with stupid actions and trouble makers.

And as for the day at Knott's. It was the first time we have done an event like this there and I think they did a pretty damn good job! The fact that they were able to give us a behind the scenes look into rides where they have never taken the public before was AWESOME! Sure, the Calico tour was short, but the Locomotive tour was amazing! Next year it will be even better! More tours, more ERT, and even more activities to fill up the day.

--Robb "And oh, yeah, we do things very differently than how Solace does things. Both are great events...but different." Alvey

Ollie

CF Legend
robbalvey said:
East Coast(er) General said:
(plus you don't have to deal with Robb & his sheep :wink: ).
You forgot to mention that you're only upset with Robb & his sheep because you broke the rules of the event you attended and the park you visited, got caught, banned from doing any more trips or events because of it and refused to take personal responsibility for your own actions.

I think most people who haven't created drama for us will probably tell you we put on some of the best theme park events the industry has to offer. But if you create problems during an event, we kick your ass out of there. We don't have the time or patience to put up with stupid actions and trouble makers.
Can someone please tell this story? Sounds interesting. :)
Nice report anyway. Some good pictures and the ERT's and extras sounded good.

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Ollie said:
Can someone please tell this story? Sounds interesting. :)

He broke the rules of the park and our event.

We simply will not tolerate that.

End of story.

--Robb

Thats all that needs to be told. -Snoo

Ollie

CF Legend
YAY! -Snoo

But then it's not up to me at the end of the day. I'm sure he's not missing out. :p

Anyway lets ignore that and keep this on topic about this trip report. I've always wanted to go to KBF. It looks like a fun park and most people have heard of it. Although everyone I know that's been has said it's nothing great and not really worth going out of your way to do.

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Ollie said:
It looks like a fun park and most people have heard of it. Although everyone I know that's been has said it's nothing great and not really worth going out of your way to do.
I grew up with the park (used to live on Beach Blvd) and it's certainly a shadow of it's former self.

There is one thing I took away from the presentation, though, that I'm not sure if anyone else did that I found VERY interesting...

When Cedar Fair bought the park they installed quite a few Cedar Fair head honcho management there, and they were there for many years.

Seems like most of them left a few years ago and right now the park is run all by long-term Knott's employees.

In fact, then the General Manager, Marty, introduced his staff, he said they now have more than 100 years of Knott's Berry Farm experience sitting on the panel.

That actually impressed me!

Not sure what that means for the future of the park, but it's a step in the right direction anyway.

--Robb

Snoo

The Legend
Do they have any plans for the future? In terms of rides/attractions.. ect ect. I might be visiting the west coast again soon.. might schedule something around something sexy.

robbalvey

Roller Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Do they have any plans for the future? In terms of rides/attractions.. ect ect. I might be visiting the west coast again soon.. might schedule something around something sexy.
I haven't heard about anything big in the near future. If I would have to guess I would say we probably won't see a major attraction installed until at least 2011 or 2012.

The park has a very interesting story in that when Disneyland does well, Knott's does well. Many times we'll see Knott's open a new attaction in the years that Disneyland doesn't.

Over the years I've heard many times the management tell me that "Disneyland opening a new rides gets us as big of an attendance boost as when we do!"

And it makes sense because it's so close to Disney that when a lot of people come in from out of town to visit Disney, a good number of then plan some time at Knott's as well.

--Robb