What's new

Iron Dragon & Ninja closing soon?

A101

Mega Poster
Due to the recent, (or not so recent,) closing of Big Bad Wolf and BGW, it made me take a look at all of the other standing Arrow Suspended coasters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't BGW close BBW because it had "reached it's expiry date" because Arrow said it would last 25 years. Well, Iron Dragon turns 25 next year and Ninja hits 25 in 2013.

Will Cedar Point and SFMM be forced to close their remaining Arrow Suspended Coasters?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
These roller coasters are built to last, and there is no expiration date. As long as proper maintenance is kept, and replacement parts are available, any roller coaster can last for a very long time.

In the case of Big Bad Wolf, BGW just saw it as a time to close the coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
We'll see of course.. I don't see CP closing Iron Dragon anytime soon but SFMM could do that to Ninja to get more space for something new. Who knows of course.

Ben

CF Legend
Would either of these actually be ANY sort of a loss though?

Vortex at CW is really good, Ninja just isn't... And Draggin' Iron doesn't look any better. BBW was "good" at least. Sort of. Vortex is better.

A

Anonymous

Re: Iron Dragon & Ninja closing soon?

I doubt that that any of the coasters would close at the time beeing for two reasons. One, removing them would mean that they loose one coaster and since both parks thrive on beeing the ones with the most coasters in the world then it won't happen. Two, you can't comapre them to BBW or Eagle Fortress since they are a lot tamer and basically don't rip themselves apart in the same way that BBW and EF do...

Posting on the go...

Snoo

The Legend
Well tbh, Eagle Fortress was the only loss I've found. Ninja wasn't horrid, Top Gun (Flight Deck can piss off) at Kings Island.. a copy of Vortex at CW.. was decent but not spectacular, Iron Dragon was complete and absolute
5censored.gif
which CP will get rid of when the cost to keep the ride open > actual impact to people in the park/ride technology, and Big Bad Wolf was actually quite good besides the horrible trim on one of the coolest drops I've been on.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
We can only hope, but I can't see them going anywhere unless the parks get desperate for space.

There's just no way they can have the same maintenance issues as Eagle's Fortress and, to a lesser extent, BBW since they just crawl around the track not doing very much. Complete wastes of space the pair of them, but unless that space is needed anytime soon, they'll be there for a while.

fishman100

Mega Poster
I hope Ninja isn't demolished for another few years...but if it's replaced with something like Tatsu/Scream/maybe Green Lantern then I won't mind.

If I remember correctly, Ninja is right next to Revolution and the Log Flume. Would they have to close it down???

Ben

CF Legend
Ninja's crap, btw.

^It's the other side of the Mountain to Revolution, but, yeah, it's right next to/over one of their Log Flumes.

I guess if they spited Ninja they would shut the Flume for a BIT, but, they've got two ANYWAY. And it's the more rubbish of the two.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The only way Ninja goes is if they decide to finally put in a terrain coaster. Granted everyone would love to see it, but it's still a good "starter" ride.

marc

CF Legend
This question was asked on the Vampire track walk and coasters do not have a "use by date". I enjoyed Ninja at SFMM and I hope it does not go anywhere.

fishman100

Mega Poster
Yes, Ninja is a good starter, but I would love to trade it for a better terrain coaster.

However, it being one of 2 coasters of it's kind in the US (I'm pretty sure of that), I don't think demolishing it is worth it. By no means is it a bad ride.

Where are they fitting Green Lantern? I don't recall seeing a whole lot of space when I went there...

Xpress

Strata Poster
Ninja just got a repaint not too long ago. If the park were to close a ride, then they wouldn't have bothered with an expensive repaint. FWIW, Ninja still looks very structurally sound, and it still offers a relatively smooth ride, compared to Viper..

reddude333

Giga Poster
First off, Big Bad Wolf was closed partially due to the fact that BGW is putting their new 2012 coaster there. Also, as some have said before me, neither park in question is very keen to give up a coaster, especially MM in my opinion because they have an obsession with having the most coasters. Let's face it, they are willing to put in a second kiddie coaster just to get that distinction. CP seems more likely to give up Iron Dragon if they wish to redevelop on that plot but honestly I don't think either will be losing them anytime soon especially due to reaching some sort of expiration date.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The grease may expire, but that's about it if they perform proper maintenance, including preservation of the metal track/supports.

vgmaster9

Roller Poster
I would hate to see them go. Nobody makes that kind of coaster anymore. The only similar ones are floorless.

D1993

Hyper Poster
my initial thought was oh i hope not, but now that i think about it i wouldnt mind if they closed.
being completely honest ive never been on ninja so i cant speak for that, but iron dragon was near utter boredom. Like there really wasnt very much to it and i wonder how much space its really taking up?
maybe cp could put a bunch of really compact rides in there?
its funny how a park like cp has so many tame and kiddie rides .....

steel

Mega Poster
reddude333 said:
Let's face it, they are willing to put in a second kiddie coaster just to get that distinction.
A third kiddie coaster, in fact (Canyon Blaster, Magic Flyer, and now Road Runner Express). This is why I think Ninja is safe for now. SFMM is way too focused on keeping ahead of Cedar Point to remove anything. Iron Dragon takes up some valuable space, but it does serve a purpose. Last time I was at Cedar Point, there was one girl in our group who couldn't make herself do roller coasters, but she was willing to ride Iron Dragon. I'd honestly be kind of sad to see it go, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

reddude333

Giga Poster
^ Yes, you are right...three kiddie coasters so I can hardly give them the distinction they so desire but regardless I know they won't be giving up Ninja anytime soon.