What's new

Universal IoA | Jurassic World VelociCoaster | Intamin Blitz | 2021

cocoa

Mega Poster
whats the general vibe of the station/ show building? is there a short dark ride section or is it enclosed queue and the station is that smaller structure before the first launch? (or maybe we dont know :p)

Cstrcrzy1

Roller Poster
As if I didn't already have enough room to travel back to Orlando for a visit. Cant wait to ride. Still curious as to if velocicoaster will end up being the name

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
whats the general vibe of the station/ show building? is there a short dark ride section or is it enclosed queue and the station is that smaller structure before the first launch? (or maybe we dont know :p)

According to Alicia Stella (probably the most prominent Universal insider), there will be a show scene at the very end. There's going to be a tunnel surrounding the brake run where you'll run alongside the velociraptors I guess? Sorta like Mystic Timbers ending. As for the first show scene before the first launch, I don't think we know what that's going to be yet.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It's really peculiar how they've just went and built this thing without any announcement whatsoever. Not spending a cent on marketing (for now), just letting the sheer awesomeness of the coaster speak for itself, and it has worked. We're all hyped as heck for a coaster we don't even know the name of. Now I'm almost hoping they'll do the announcement as low-key as possible too. Just the name of the coaster at the top of the page, the words "It's open" somewhere in the middle, and at the bottom: "Your move, Mickey."

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Probably not. But this will draw new crowds to Universal for a while, and Disney will have to respond with something, so that people vacationing in Orlando don't take an extra day at IoA while skipping one of the Disney parks.
Hagrid's had a much bigger boost to attendance at IOA than Galaxy's Edge did for Hollywood Studios so I don't really know what Disney can do

I mean Magic Kingdom is opening Tron next year. I know which of the two coasters most of us would choose, but will the GP share the same opinion as us?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Tron is a lot more marketable compared to JP. I've seen the Shanghai one in viral videos saying things like "omg look at this awesome ride!!!" Looking at Velocicoaster with GP eyes it just looks like another standard black coaster. Tron has the unique trains, the eye catching canopy etc. While JP will probably be the far superior ride, marketability is with Tron.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Tron is a lot more marketable compared to JP. I've seen the Shanghai one in viral videos saying things like "omg look at this awesome ride!!!" Looking at Velocicoaster with GP eyes it just looks like another standard black coaster. Tron has the unique trains, the eye catching canopy etc. While JP will probably be the far superior ride, marketability is with Tron.
Will Magic Kingdom Tron get the full Shanghai package with the canopy and all? I seem to recall pictures from the construction thread with just a simpler building. Fortunately, the thread is right down the page, so it would be easy to check for fresh updates ...

*scroll, scroll*

OK, not among the recently updated threads, but surely ...

*scroll, scroll*

Hm, no recent news, but it should be ... I mean, I must have scrolled past it ...

*scroll, scroll*

Oh, wow, no news since March 15. For being only the second coaster added this millennium to the world's most visited park, there sure hasn't been many recent news updates on that coaster. Granted, things being the way they are, that's probably to be expected, but still ...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Will Magic Kingdom Tron get the full Shanghai package with the canopy and all? I seem to recall pictures from the construction thread with just a simpler building
tmk029348029348203948234fi.jpg

It will, I just don't think they've built much of it yet!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
They are just starting to work on the canopy now. Bioreconstruct recently posted a set of aerials where the temporary trusses are rising and the beams for the canopy are staged for assembly.

I said this years ago, but Universal hasn't been Disney's little brother for years now. They're totally on par with Disney, yet each tends to focus on different demographics...which works. Although honestly, Universal is probably the best thing to happen to Disney because what was Disney really doing prior to their response to Wizarding World? Much of what they were doing at their parks were reskins of existing rides, and every now and then they'd add something novel (Mission: Space and Everest come to mind). After everyone saw how massive a success Wizarding World was, Disney opened the floodgates on their Hoover Dam of cash, and as a result, we've seen (at just Walt Disney World Resort) Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Pandora, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Train, Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, Frozen, and a ton of investment into Disney Springs, and we'll soon see Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy and essentially an entirely new front half of Epcot, Ratatouille, possibly something in the Dinorama section of Animal Kingdom, and probably a number of other projects that I've simply forgotten about because they've been investing SOOOOO much over the past decade. But really, we shouldn't be spending so much time about who's winning or losing unless we're talking about us: the enthusiasts/fans/guests. We're the real winners of this theme park Arms Race down in Orlando, because these rides are ALL interesting and exciting, and we have so many reasons to take a trip to Florida every few years to ride these new additions.

I've said recently that I think there's a good chance that this coaster is a top ten ride - it's truly unbelievable that Universal is building a ride of this caliber. Despite that, I'm not going to write off Tron or Guardians of the Galaxy. I fell in love with Tron when I saw the sequel in 2010, and around that time I was really into Daft Punk. I was so envious of those who went to ride the one in Shanghai and I've been patiently waiting for this one to be built in Florida since the day they announced it. Similarly for Guardians of the Galaxy, I was in a fit of giggles during the entirety of Mission Breakout, and I can only imagine that Cosmic Rewind will be an even more enjoyable experience.

The only thing I'm NOT excited about is the amount of money I'm going to straight up hemorrhage at the two resorts when these rides open...and probably BGT to ride Iron Gwazi, and maybe Sea World to ride Icebreaker and whatever Project Penguin becomes because we might as well do them all in one fell swoop!