What's new

I plan to film a music video on a rollercoaster!

Maiah

Roller Poster
Hi everyone!
I'm new here, and I'm a long time rollercoaster enthusiast. I have a plan to film a music video at Silverwood theme park. I've seen other people post videos from the Tremors rollercoaster that I plan to film on. I'm planning on using a new 4k go pro with motion stabilizaion in slow motion. And according to their online policy they permit go pro cameras as long as they are secured with a harness. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if they have an suggestions, tips or tricks to get the best quality and to make sure everything is safe and within their guidelines.

Thank you!

Maiah

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I have no advice, other than maybe speak to the park about your plans. Having them onboard would open up so many options.

The main reason for my reply was to post this as inspiration for you. (and as nostalgia for older members.) If you watch to the end, it features the coaster centrally, both on and off ride footage.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have no advice, other than maybe speak to the park about your plans.
Not just a maybe. The park needs to be onboard for things like this. Trying to film otherwise could get you into heaps of trouble.

Parks tend to be accommodating if asked politely and professionally well in advance, however. You might have to show up really early in the morning to film before the park opens.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Not just a maybe. The park needs to be onboard for things like this. Trying to film otherwise could get you into heaps of trouble.

Parks tend to be accommodating if asked politely and professionally well in advance, however. You might have to show up really early in the morning to film before the park opens.
Yeh that’s kind of what I meant. Without the park on side, their only option is relying on the go pro rules, queueing with the public, and going round and round that way for different takes. It wouldn’t be ideal for them from a production point of view at all. And if their song makes it big in any way, there may even be repercussions attached to ‘commercial filming / filming for profit’ without permission.

I know content creators on youtube generally ‘get away’ with it. But a music video, that becomes successful, is a whole different ball game.

Just ask, it won’t hurt.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I filmed on-ride at Silverwood. They are OK with a chest-mounted GoPro. Beyond that I have no idea, but if you want to film multiple cycles on the ride then as the others have said, you're going to need to discuss it with the park first. I will say that their operations are pretty abysmal so it could be hard work there!

Maiah

Roller Poster
Thanks for the advice! I reached out just through their general contact and they said it should be fine as long as the go pro is secured to a head wrist or chest mount and that I get approval with the ride operator.
I didn't specify it was for a music video, just said that I wanted to film on tremors with my go pro. My only hesitation is that I'm a really small artist and wouldn't be able to afford to pay a lot of money if they wanted me to jump through any other hoops and reserve a special time or pay a lot of money for a filming day or copyright.
I'm planning to go through the ride line with a couple friends and keep it really low key and not show any logos from the park.
But maybe I should reach out? It would be really amazing to have their help if they were on board with the idea. I'm just worried I'd get a big no or they'd think I was a big production or artist when I'm not. Flying under the radar seemed like a safer plan.

I definitely want to do it safely and not cause any trouble with anyone.

Thanks guys!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
It's better to get a no after being honest with the park about your video than recording it and then not being able to use it commercially/use without permission and maybe facing a lawsuit.

Maiah

Roller Poster
Yeah I definitely don't want to step on any toes there. Genuinely wondering if it's just posted on YouTube, if it's viewed as commercial use? Is it different than anyone else filming and posting on YouTube for vlogs and rollercoaster related channels?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah I definitely don't want to step on any toes there. Genuinely wondering if it's just posted on YouTube, if it's viewed as commercial use? Is it different than anyone else filming and posting on YouTube for vlogs and rollercoaster related channels?
It is commercial use if the channel is monetised or the video sponsored in any way. If anybody is making money from it, it’s commercial use.

Youtubers who are making money for their videos are also pushing the boundaries. My understanding is that they generally get away with it for two main reasons a) It’s generally beneficial to the park, and the industry as a whole. And b) It can be argued that vloggers etc fall under the ‘media / press’ umbrella. They get invited to press events for example.

Maiah

Roller Poster
Ha true! I'm just a small artist so I don't have the budget these artists did, but I think it will be a cool video that has a lot of meaning to the song :) these days, most things have already been done before in some way

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Ha true! I'm just a small artist so I don't have the budget these artists did, but I think it will be a cool video that has a lot of meaning to the song :) these days, most things have already been done before in some way
Yeh I wouldn’t worry too much about the originality of the concept. Originality can come in the way it’s delivered.

There are far more overused music video formats… Driving in a fast car, pillow talk, walking through a city full of unassuming members of the public, private jets and even house parties all crop up multiple times a year. Compared to other concepts, this is quite rare.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Normally parks only allow filming for non commercial purposes.
CF runs a for-profit YouTube channel (have you ever noticed that the website doesn't have ads?), so that's a statement that should come with some asterisks. Communication with the parks is essential, though.