What's new

Hong Kong Disneyland PTR / General Update

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven’t thrown in any reports from this place for a while, but I’ve been a few times over the last few years (when it wasn’t closed), and called in recently to pick up my new annual pass, which I actually forgot to pick up. I’ll just throw a bunch of stuff in, with a bit of focus on the newer stuff over the last couple of years. Not that it matters, but not all of the pictures are from the last visit. I took a bunch when the castle opened, for example, but then couldn’t be arsed to do anything with them at the time.

The park has been very up-and-down during covid, with a bunch of closures and reopenings. Honestly, I didn’t mind it so much since the annual passes were extended for every closure with some bonus weeks added. Anyway, they’ve been back to full-time opening for a while now, and thanks to covid severely restricting travel, have sold absolutely s**tloads of annual passes, so the park has been pretty busy considering.

They’re still not back to 7-day operations, currently being closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but since all travel restrictions have now been lifted and, more importantly for tourism in Hong Kong, the border with China has just fully opened (for Chinese people – still no tourist visas), that will likely change soon.

The most noticeable new thing is obviously the castle. It’s huge and is so much more impressive than the old one.

EIXUbGM.jpg

rHuYDIx.jpg

wIw68dh.jpg

BoeZeP3.jpg

VHvzZ3o.jpg

jLVCgcw.jpg

AI1WzJU.jpg

Ujx0SOD.jpg

sq6fKaM.jpg

hJHn9BF.jpg

zMBrE3i.jpg

I’m sure everyone knows by now, but the 13 spires/towers represent 13 princesses – well, 14 since it’s both Anna and Elsa from Frozen. Each one is decorated to match the princess and topped with a filial (new word for me; see Disney is educational)

wIw68dh.jpg

Fz0YOPW.jpg

yaxyO5M.jpg

AknJp4D.jpg

H70jDUa.jpg

D92XIET.jpg

What people might not know is that at the back of the castle, there are also 13 support columns, which are decorated with the friends (or supporters - get it?) of the princesses.

2ywq0pg.jpg

Y3Gscxa.jpg

jzsdoxd.jpg

SqepEaS.jpg

b552XU3.jpg

Giu4kOT.jpg

SubUzs9.jpg

nnCND9y.jpg

Wg37T7U.jpg

YSfDmtb.jpg

n2PQDBo.jpg

Inside the castle there’s a princess meet ‘n’ greet. I didn’t know what it was the first time, so I queued up to get in and felt the fool at the end of it, but anyway. Again, it’s all the princesses represented by the castle. They get switched out roughly hourly I think.

2YjcCbI.jpg

There’s also a jewelry shop.

PuKHvjp.jpg

xDcl3B9.jpg

79WMKvw.jpg

OEPOS1R.jpg

L3z7bGq.jpg

I’m not sure if they’ve sold the gold castle yet. Apparently, it’s a 1:60 replica, took two years to make and contains about 9kg of gold. I don’t remember seeing a price on it, but it’s been valued at around £1.6 million. You also get free lifetime admission to the park, so that’s a right bargain then.

cx9JnZV.jpg

When I’m not taking pictures of overpriced tat, I do actually go on rides occasionally as well, so here are some pictures of stuff you’ve seen before. Yes, we do still have to wear masks. Yes, even outside. Yes, it's f**king stupid.

VG2ttcI.jpg

ZDoOkgM.jpg

8vhxtqc.jpg

x3rB4ck.jpg

kVcUaVc.jpg

HXvpcFs.jpg

ywCOrwq.jpg

7TN1oOo.jpg

4lELHe9.jpg

xmZZ9t6.jpg

fGw3fW5.jpg

VjdH0yP.jpg

NiLkmzv.jpg

UBUs7X0.jpg

MDfAFmc.jpg

lAje8Et.jpg

v78Kg4e.jpg

ssuKzMG.jpg

aqKBGpr.jpg

Back to the castle then. In the nearby pavilion there’s a pretty interesting exhibition about the design and construction of it. I thought this was pretty cool given that Disney often doesn’t want to show any behind the scenes kind of stuff.

kfYp1J1.jpg

zPrXeXm.jpg

QKYOc00.jpg

ylAkAod.jpg

fUs8XmW.jpg

0dlAvZ3.jpg

k0BCkUN.jpg

yWVPaKV.jpg

YxKCKJe.jpg

19tQ7ky.jpg

AkY23wl.jpg

SRWdw82.jpg

SyT9A6G.jpg

F29HMYN.jpg

For some reason, I’ve uploaded pictures from the Fairytale Forest walkthrough. Maybe because it’s the first time I’d been through it at night; it used to only ever be open during the day.

iQgAbWt.jpg

tedB8cR.jpg

qvWoVXT.jpg

1Zwba4S.jpg

FgT46rs.jpg

3L9JrTZ.jpg

nEGUqxg.jpg

uMZnsJ0.jpg

p9hMnKU.jpg

There are also two new castle shows. The first one, Follow Your Dreams (how trite), is a daytime show, but the last one actually happens after it gets dark. It’s decent and lasts around 20 minutes. There are four live singers plus dancers and costumed characters. The songs included are Follow Your Dreams (original song for the show, Let’s Go Fly a Kite (Mary Poppilns), You Can Fly (Peter Pan), El Mundo Es Mi Familia and Remember Me (Coco), Just Around the Riverbend (Pocahontas), How Far I’ll Go (Moana), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) and Try Everything (Zootopia).

x72vqOF.jpg

YuakEfX.jpg

77IuwoA.jpg

CvzHw9Q.jpg

cDiG3Hl.jpg

olCWjlM.jpg

Rqf6CxI.jpg

e16Dpx9.jpg

4hEvxPb.jpg

ULfJPJo.jpg

nNxScE3.jpg

oRB7E5p.jpg

3ciSmwM.jpg

OkGvr5I.jpg

FcvIGcM.jpg

dYHuR1Q.jpg

rpZYVP7.jpg

HKC4hsD.jpg

qwnWFtI.jpg

16pxjIy.jpg

gESd0Ly.jpg

Not my video, and there are probably better ones out there, but I’m not about to go down that hole:

I just noticed an older Imgur album with some Frozen construction photos. I must’ve intended to share them ages ago. Maybe I did in some news/construction topic? Anyway, these must be about a year old by now, so it’s all much further along, but the “new for 2020” land is now set for the back half of this year.

W9uVmaZ.jpg

jbO2baT.jpg

4wbeb1Q.jpg

L1CFlxz.jpg

PqIUQon.jpg

GRIi4sV.jpg

Wb8ynI8.jpg

uQdrwFt.jpg

FOuQUG6.jpg

When the park reopened the first time after the initial closure, both parades were gone due to social distancing crap. They’re still not back and I don’t know why. The daytime parade has been replaced with a really s**t train thing with a few characters shoved on it. I haven’t got any pictures of it, but it’s s**te. The nighttime parade, Paint the Night, hasn’t returned in any form, which is a shame because it was really impressive. The old nighttime entertainment used to start with Paint the Night and then the castle/fireworks show would start soon after.

The new nighttime castle show, Momentous, has finally opened, though. The castle itself has been open for a couple of years, but they only opened the show a few months ago. It’s more focused on projection mapping and other lighting effects than fireworks, but that was also the case with the older show. In the lead up to the show, there are kind of mini projection shows every few minutes, with the castle changing to represent one of the 13 princesses. I’m not sure, but these seem to be randomised.

I’m just going to finish this by throwing in some night pictures of the castle, including the show preset, which is weird since it makes the castle look like a cartoon or something, and some of those pre-show projection changes I just mentioned. I’ve only seen the show twice, so decided to just watch it both times rather than try to get pictures.

Z5qWhXk.jpg

potI9PA.jpg

1VSIoDH.jpg

EnuX3SS.jpg

QFyDGSr.jpg

T9N3tfk.jpg

S9a5MzL.jpg

ybxnKKM.jpg

FGcKHIJ.jpg

6YKyJTS.jpg

gg8EbHl.jpg

W9YWHwI.jpg

3zH8tSk.jpg

ckKtQyK.jpg

X0qa7sK.jpg

Again, not my video, but I’ll chuck it in if anyone’s interested and doesn’t know about YouTube.

That’s it. It turned in to much less of a trip report than a general park update I guess, but since getting into Hong Kong was pretty much impossible until a few months ago, there probably haven’t been many reports from this place for a while.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Can't believe they're still making you wear a muzzle, even outdoors. I thought it was now common knowledge that they do precisely f*** all?

But otherwise - Yay, Gav reports are back! It's like the good old days again. 😁

Love the new castle and how detailed it is! 😍 Also wow, finally some Coco representation somewhere in a Disney park. I hate that it's pretty much nowhere to be found and it's my favourite Pixar.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Love the new castle and how detailed it is! Also wow, finally some Coco representation somewhere in a Disney park. I hate that it's pretty much nowhere to be found and it's my favourite Pixar.
It's in the projection show as well. There's a whole "sad" section featuring Disney characters who die, with Remember Me as the musical backdrop. Such a good time!

Gazza

Giga Poster
Hey so I'm curious, how is crowd behavior now at Disney? I suppose it would still mostly be locals visiting, but still, did it get better over the years?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Hey so I'm curious, how is crowd behavior now at Disney? I suppose it would still mostly be locals visiting, but still, did it get better over the years?
I don't think it's ever really been a problem.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I don't think it's ever really been a problem.
I ask because I was googling HKDL trip reports and one of the first is this thread.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I can't remember that at all. Not surprising since it was almost 10 years ago; I would've only been living here a little over a month at the time. Yep, that sounds like a s**t day, but it's definitely not indicative of how things are in general. Maybe my tolerance has built up over time, or maybe that day really was that bad, but I haven't had a visit like that again, and I must've been 50+ times since then. It's not going to be as smooth as the US or Japanese parks, but it's not going to be bad either.