What's new

Holovis and S&S unveil 'Immersive Elevator MediaCoaster' concept

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Immersive-Elevator-MediaCoaster-Holovis-2017-1-1.jpg

Media-based attraction company Holovis and thrill ride company S&S-Sansei Technologies have announced a design and patent for the world’s first Immersive Elevator MediaCoaster.

The new technology and scalable solution is set to extend and develop the roller coaster experience. They will take the coaster experience from a short, dynamic ride through to a fully engaging story-driven experience.

Continuing the Thrill
The Immersive Elevator MediaCoaster starts with a narrative. This will flow through a highly themed media and interactive preshow. Guests will then board what initially might look like a traditional dark ride. The ride vehicle will then enter a 360° dome. Rich media will then completely surround the guests, with no need for awkward VR headsets or 3D glasses.

With S&S-Sansei Technologies’ expertise in roller coaster and elevator systems added to the unique turn-key systems and creative skills of the Holovis Attractions and Holovis Media teams, the whole ride will be a unique and unforgettable experience.

Stuart Hetherington, CEO of Holovis said, “Together with S&S-Sansei Technologies, we have paralleled the key structure of narrative based entertainment and applied it to the physical coaster experience, something that has never been done before in this way. Coasters have long been the traditional form of physical and thrilling entertainment. However, typically the patterns of excitement peak at the highest point. This is usually towards the beginning, then drop as there is no connected narrative to continue the thrill.

“We are adding creative-led emotive story and journey into the design of the Immersive Elevator MediaCoaster. This ensures a shared immersive experience. We are creating a new genre in coaster solutions. This ensures that as physical boundaries are reached, coaster technology can evolve into completely new attractions.”

The Immersive Elevator MediaCoaster
“Wrapping of coaster sections with physical screens and lighting effects has been done effectively for a long time, but the patented, storytelling capability now offered by S&S-Sansei Technologies and Holovis allows the immersive experience to physically move with a moving vehicle, creating a more dynamic, immersive experience for guests. We’re combining the thrill of a death-defying drop tower and extreme coaster technology with truly immersive media for a unique next-generation experience.

“This scalable design extends the overall ride time. It also allows for complete customization of the guest experience in the elevator section before the guests realize they are about to drop back into the real world, thus heightening the thrill levels even more.”

Tim Timco, CEO and President of S&S-Sansei Technologies said, “S&S is very pleased that our partnership with Holovis will now allow us to bring the Immersive Elevator MediaCoasters to the amusement industry.

“We believe the dynamic, immersive experience of this new attraction will have a tremendous impact on the industry. It will provide a uniquely thrilling, memorable experience that will draw people looking for the ultimate combination of intense immersion and physical thrill.”
source

I love stuff like this! Reminds me of the roller coaster Dynamic Attractions offer, but this is much more simpler and confined to the elevator lift. It's almost like a pre-show but once it's finished you immediately enter the first drop! The gothic concept art needs to happen too.
holovis-immersive-elevator-mediacoaster-space-theming-620x350.jpg

THUMB16132_93031.jpg

source: Holovis

Last edited:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Omg yes please.

This will solve all of the problems VR has. Better loading times, no need for VR headsets, higher capacity(presumably), the fact that you get to see both the VR and the actual ride, everything! This needs to happen now.

Lofty

CF Legend
A friend of mine works for Holovis, and when I asked him what exactly it was, he replied with this...

"Drop tower, coaster and immersive media attraction rolled into 1", I then probed again and he said "Kinda ToT with a coaster".

Safe to say, I want it in my face.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
That gothic tower looks fantastic and should be built immediately.

Though, I have my doubts on whether a park would want to pay for a spire that adds 50 % or so to the structural height beyond the top of the coaster, without serving any function with regards to the ride experience. That's a lot of building elements and probably a lot of height approval paperwork just for a tower to look nice.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ What do you mean? As in where did you get the info that the tower would be 50% larger? I've tried to look and can't find it?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I think he means from the concept art at the top. Look at where the coaster track exits - presumably the highest point of the ride -but how much "extra" building there is above it.

It'll be a very long time, if ever, before we see anything like this built.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, what Gavin said.

Maybe it'd be built without the spire, though. Or with the spire scaled down a lot. Then it wouldn't be so outrageous.

Lofty

CF Legend
It's concept art...? Literally a piece of visual media to sell the idea to a client, it ain't a plan by any means - I thought you'd have a plausible reason for the comment Poke ha.

Ben

CF Legend
I wouldn't worry about what the concept art for the ride that's never going to be built looks like.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
I'm sure that if and that's a big if they use this concept, false prospective would be used.

I think this idea would piss all over shoving VR on an existing coaster.
Best of both world I think.