What's new

Have you ever had a ride prediction that turned out right?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
We all make predictions about what the next new ride for the next amusement park will be. We try to piece together the marketing clues, find meaning in the cement footers and unlabeled track, or meticulously review what a park needs. But how often are we correct?

This is the question that I ask: how many times have you had a prediction that was correct for a park's new ride? How many predictions have you gotten wrong? (What was the worst?)

Granted, we can have plenty of users on here who can brag about having claimed to predict every roller coaster since 1994. So let us use the honors system, and honestly give our own critiques.

I have called absolutely 0% of ride additions. I have had theories that have ranged from GCI Out and Back coasters (WindSeeker), Intamin Wing Coasters (Maverick), and launched coasters (Diamondback); but none have met their mark.

A current theory? Kings Island will add a B&M Invert for 2014. Please god let me just get one right.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Re: Have you ever had a ride prediction that turned out righ

I really don't make predictions

Only one I ever really made one was after someone at Great Adventure told me "We're making a coaster next year like that, but it's gunna be much bigger" in reference to Storm Runner shirt I was wearing.
So naturally I assumed, oh man Six Flags is gunna make some huge epic launched looper. While it was a huge launch coaster, needless to say it's not loopy. So out of 1 attempt I'm at 0 or .5 depending on how you wanna take it :lol:

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Just one. After the great success of sorin' at Disney's California adventure I said it would Be put into somewhere on the Walt Disney World property. I'll say that's at least 8/10ths of one

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster

Personally I do not generally make predictions but rather hope for something to happen, and that has come true. I recall thinking back in 2009 how fun it would be if they got rid of the observation ride at the Liseberg tower and built a freefall attraction on it instead, and two years later that was true.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

I often hear things way too early for me to beat them to the punch with a prediction, so more often, I have to keep quiet when others make erroneous ones.

I guess it's nice having friends with connections.

BBH

Giga Poster

No not never.

I haven't been a theme park enthusiast near long enough to make some actual bona fide predictions.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I got Outlaw Run almost completely right, the only thing I got wrong was the barrel rolls weren't in a tunnel/underground. Other than that though, nothing really.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I had the type of ride for Skyrush, but how it would get its movement was wrong.

When lift hill parts were confirmed, I made a very **** general layout of how I thought it would work, and that turned out to be 100% accurate :lol:

I even made a screenshot of the track layout and when it was last modified as well JUST to prove it!

Xpress

Strata Poster

I predict that some European park will begin constructing a new ride with intense secrecy and mystery and not reveal any secrets until opening day.

Auraofshadows

Roller Poster

I have only got one prediction correct, and that was that Alton Towers would build a coaster with more inversions than Colossus, which is being built right now: The Smiler. Apart from that, nothing else.

Snowman

Roller Poster

I got Skyrush right to some degree. I figured Hershey would be building a hyper coaster soon just because they'd pretty much covered all of the other bases. There was also nowhere there for a B&M hyper layout, so it would have to involve much more twisting and turning as opposed to just airtime hill after airtime hill. I didn't figure much more beyond that, but I suppose it's close enough to count.

Other than that, I've been totally wrong a whole bunch of times. I was ready to say Cedar Point would be building something like X2 at SFMM instead of Gatekeeper, possibly where Mean Streak is because it's just so unpopular and crappy. Pretty much the antithesis of being correct on that one.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster

I predict that Chessington will not get a new attraction for 10 years.

That's bound to be correct.

I predict that the back row of Nemesis will go backwards next year.

Anything about Merlin saving money has a 95% chance of being factual.

bmac

Giga Poster

Hit and miss with predictions:

Hits:
-Dorney Park getting Stinger and the 1st gen intamin drop tower from Cedar Point
-Great Adventure getting a piece of crap in 2008 and flats for 2012
-Verbolten
-Chang coming to New Jersey
-Kings Dominion's 2013 Planet Snoopy attraction

Misses:
-SFoT getting Bizarro for 2014, moving it from Great Adventure
-Gatekeeper entirely
-Skyrush being "just another average coaster"
-Leviathan
-SFNE getting a giant inverted boomerang

NegativeG

Roller Poster

I don't make predictions often cause I'm extremely unlucky. The only time I ever really predicted something was that I thought Dorney Park would get a wooden coaster for 2012. They got Stinger instead.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I predicted that Alton would never reuse the Black Hole tent, but also said that area would be used for a play park or something :lol: :oops:

Other than that, nothing unless I've used "clues" or evidence from people who actually know.

Kebab

Giga Poster

Before Saw The Ride was announced I imagined Thorpe Park building a Euro-Fighter like Mystery Mine, which would've weeved around Loggers Leaps layout. I guess I was mostly correct, but they ended up building an island instead of my Loggers Leap theory, which would've been even better, plus it was a lot bigger than I imagined it too!

A big miss for me (this is going back years), I remember posting a topic about it not long after Corkscrew was removed. I said Alton Towers could really do with a Water Coaster, which would either replace The Flume or go in Corkscrews old position, but yeah, that never happened. And everyone knows about the notorious Alton Towers Woodie rumour! What made it even more convincing was that it was actually planned!

plan6.jpg

plan4.jpg

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

I said there would be a coaster on the site of the Black Hole tent and have 14 inversions :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Yes, but you didn't predict it ;) :p