What's new

Gröna Lund | Monster | B&M Invert | 2021

Christian

Hyper Poster
On a completely seperate and on-topic note that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet, what is that weird piece of steel with a rope attached to it for on the crest of the lift hill? Never seen that on an invert before.

I can see a lot of steel but no rope

UP87

Mega Poster
I assume he means the metal platform that is used for evacuation?

(I only looked for it in the POVs so if you look at the correct answer it's obvious why Christian was not able to see it and I guessed for the only other metal piece around the top of the lifthill)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
On a completely seperate and on-topic note that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet, what is that weird piece of steel with a rope attached to it for on the crest of the lift hill? Never seen that on an invert before.
Can you do a screengrab? I must be missing it...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh, that's a davit beam/arm. It's a crane.

I would guess it's for some some sort of access lifting requirement at the top of the lift hill. Possibly some sort of emergency situation - either to recover a train or passenger from the lower level catwalk after the crest, or more simply for lowering any of the larger lift hill components.

To answer the question "why is this not on every B&M" - I don't know. My two guesses are:
1. They can't get access for a mobile crane out to a suitable lifting location at the end of the pier (possibly ground stability or space issues), so this puts the loads through the already completely footers.
2. There's a local requirement in the Swedish regulations that asks for things like this. It's not uncommon to see them on industrial buildings in some countries (although they can be well hidden) and, whilst it's actually good building design, it's also sometimes mandated.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I heard from somewhere that B&Ms have breaks at the end of the lift hill so that in the case of an evac at the crest of the hill the train will not by mistake start running the course. If the train would move and start taking on the circuit while the ride is getting evacuated then it could be lethal, due to the riders maybe not being properly restrained due to the evac.

I am guessing that the platform is there in order to inspect this break at the end of the lift hill and the crane is there if they ever needed to replace the break or get new parts for it. Might be simpler to have the crane built in than renting a crane whenever work needs to be done on that break, also there maybe isn't any space to get a mobile crane in there.

Again this is speculation.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
You’d see it if there was a brake at the end of the lift hill. Some older B&M’s have a brake on the predrop? Is that what you’re thinking about?

UP87

Mega Poster
@ChristianPalsson To stop the train from cresting the lift hill you simply evac the train from the front thus this is impossible as the weight of the passengers keep the train on the lift hill. If you evac the guests in the back first the train might tip over the lift hill as it once happend with Python at Efteling (video doesn't seem to be available anymore)

oriolat2

Giga Poster
If Monster had four trains, this would be them. (Can't be bothered to include the far left colour scheme xD)

s-l300.jpg

But I guess Gröna Lund are *not* interested in having their ride sponsored or linked to Monster drinks whatsoever.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I imagine the Gröna Lund urinals get better fluids running through them than that stuff, so to be honest I wouldn't blame them. This coaster deserves better!
Do they have urinals though? Because from what I heard the loos there are all mixed gender and only have cubicles.