What's new

Gateway Holiday Park Proposed Theme Park Expansion Llanelli

EthC

Mega Poster
So I found this today.

Llanelli Theme Park plan could bring 'as many jobs as Trostre works'

EXCITING plans to build a theme park "twice the size of Oakwood" in Llanelli have been revealed this week.
Gateway Resort are gearing up to submit a planning application early next year that would see a 20 acre site developed just off the A484.
Owner Ken Strelley said the project could take two years and would create "as many jobs as in Trostre Steel works".
"People drive through Carmarthenshire to get to Pembrokeshire, but that's about to change," he said.
"We're going for the family market and it will be rides to suit families rather than the mega thrill rides, something like Drayton Manor.
"Though we wouldn't be trying to compete with them, the site would be twice the size of Oakwood."
The plan is for 26 rides across the site, which will become the Gateway Resort from Easter.
One of them will traverse the lake within the site and will be licensed as the only one of its kind in Britain.
Vekoma Ride Manufacturing, one of the largest roller coaster builders in the world, have been lined up to design and install the ride.
Mr Strelley says some of the planning applications will be for full permission and some for outline as the site is developed.
The exact theme for the park is still being decided upon.
"We have looked at the demographic for the area and a lead theme park designer so we know this will work," added Mr Strelley.
"There will be a large indoor barn full of rides and a 4D virtual reality simulator, of which there is only one other in the world, in Canada.
"It can be used for all kinds of things such as simulating a balloon ride over Niagra Falls.
"We are looking at this as a two year project and when it is complete it will provide as many jobs as in Trostre Steel works.
"I'd like to thank the planning department and Huw Parsons in regeneration and tourism for their support and advice in developing this project."
Carmarthenshire Council Leader Emlyn Dole said: "These are exciting plans which could generate more jobs and prosperity for Llanelli and Carmarthenshire.
"Tourism is a booming business here and the location is right to attract people from all different parts of Wales and beyond.
"It's good to see a local business expanding and I look forward to seeing the development progress."

Source: http://www.llanellistar.co.uk/Tourism-g ... story.html

While I think this plan will happen, I think Oakwood having a contender would be a good thing to make them push forward as a theme park to strive to make the place better then the state it is in now ...

11693621.jpg

Although the fact they have drafted in vekoma to do all the coasters is a little worrying especially when one of the models on the early map looks suspiciously like an SLC...
Also they have labeled 2 ride one called "stinger" and one called "flying welshman" which means if they are all vekoma then we have 2 vekoma flying coasters in one park...

Oh well seems like a pretty neat plan :)

Here is their current website as well: http://www.caravanparkgower.co.uk/

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Gateway Holiday Park Proposed Theme Park Expansion Llane

I met the Ken chap at EAS 2014 where he enthusiastically told about his plans. I'm still confused how or who is funding it, but it's great to see its still on track.

peep

CF Legend

Well that's an interesting development. Hopefully it works out well and helps drive Oakwood to become a good Park.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Perfect opportunity for Vekoma to earn some respect from us enthusiasts and sell this bloke a big ass RMC.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

An SLC is definitely possible. To naieve buyers who have never rode one they are a bargain, packing 5 inversions into a small footprint. Lets hope it all happens and is successful so Oakwood are forced to invest and clean up the park.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Obviously skeptical this will come to fruition but I'm all for a more competitive market in Wales.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Basically agreeing with everyone else. Whether this will come to fruition is a different matter, but it'd be great to see a new park open in the UK. Vekoma aren't all that bad either, even if some of the off the shelf models are a bit naff, so I'm not complaining on that front. Plus, if it helps get an RMC in the UK, I'm all for it!

Also, this would help give me more of an excuse to visit Wales for them creds...

nadroJ

CF Legend

Urgh, Wales is so far away, why do only spiteful places get creds <//3

Ben

CF Legend

Ahh cool.

That's not going to happen though.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Be great to see this happen, it's just annoying it has to be in Wales! Why do you be so burdenous.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Yeah, I share Bens skepticism, but it would be wonderful to see more competition.

How far is this from Oakwood, though? I feel like people misunderstand how far on the far side of nowhere Oakwood is.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

^ Oakwood is about an hour drive away from this proposed park. The closest major city is Swansea, which is under half hour away.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Wow, so it really would be a threat to Oakwood! That's awesome.

Or would be if it happened, because it probably won't.