What's new

Future developments at Dollywood

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Out of interest, what is it exactly they’ve changed? I’ve watched a POV of the ride pre-modifications, and apart from the post-drop turnaround looking very different, I can’t quite see any other glaring changes.

Am I missing something here? I’ll admit I’ve never ridden Mystery Mine, which might not help...
They've axed everything from the blockzone at 1:19 to 1:29 on this video:-

And replaced it with what's on that Facebook video I posted. They've cut out the horseshoe turn and re-done the drop and helix. But they've left the horseshoe just standing there.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
They've axed everything from the blockzone at 1:19 to 1:29 on this video:-

And replaced it with what's on that Facebook video I posted. They've cut out the horseshoe turn and re-done the drop and helix.
Ah; thanks @CrashCoaster! That’s really shortened that outdoor section quite drastically; it must have cut a fair chunk off the ride’s track length! The new tracking does look a bit more comfortable, though; as someone who likes my rides smooth, it certainly looks an improvement!

That also just made me realise; Mystery Mine has an incredibly unconventional layout compared to other Euro-Fighters. It almost looks like more of an experience-based coaster, where the ride system is intended more as a vehicle to move you through the story as opposed to providing much in the way of thrills, especially in the first outdoor section. Would anyone who’s ridden it agree with this, or am I misinterpreting the POV?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ah; thanks @CrashCoaster! That’s really shortened that outdoor section quite drastically; it must have cut a fair chunk off the ride’s track length! The new tracking does look a bit more comfortable, though; as someone who likes my rides smooth, it certainly looks an improvement!

That also just made me realise; Mystery Mine has an incredibly unconventional layout compared to other Euro-Fighters. It almost looks like more of an experience-based coaster, where the ride system is intended more as a vehicle to move you through the story as opposed to providing much in the way of thrills, especially in the first outdoor section. Would anyone who’s ridden it agree with this, or am I misinterpreting the POV?
They have shortened the track length, but I have actually timed how long it takes between the two MCBRs before and after the re-route, and they are both exactly 10 seconds long. So at least the ride duration isn't shorter.

Matt N

CF Legend
They have shortened the track length, but I have actually timed how long it takes between the two MCBRs before and after the re-route, and they are both exactly 10 seconds long. So at least the ride duration isn't shorter.
Interesting; do you think it’s the slow turn at the top after the first MCBR that lengthens this?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Out of interest, what is it exactly they’ve changed? I’ve watched a POV of the ride pre-modifications, and apart from the post-drop turnaround looking very different, I can’t quite see any other glaring changes.

Am I missing something here? I’ll admit I’ve never ridden Mystery Mine, which might not help...
Look at the video of it testing in the new layout and you can see the old bit of track still standing.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
OK I know I had (false) concern about LR being neutered but least that is understandable concern, I've seen people (not here it seems) saying RIP MM....they'll miss it, they've neutered MM. Yikes, wasn't it already neutered to begin with?? XD It always looked like a bunch of slow meandering and dips before you get to the cool finale. These things are always uncomfortable anyway and while I see some saying it had good air, most seem to have felt it sucked. This one is a case where I dont mind having missed the OG lol I honestly kind of like the look of the drop and turn, it's probably better than that slow stall type thing.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So not only has Mystery Mine received the new section, it has had TRIMS added to it since opening back up:-

ExgobbcWgAAu0Px.png

1616874559263.png

All Trims Identified mode has been activated.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Yikes....so not only did they take away (from what I've heard) one of the only 2 good parts of the ride they added trims? lol I mean MM was already low on my priority but sheeeesh, way to neuter an already weak ride.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Yikes....so not only did they take away (from what I've heard) one of the only 2 good parts of the ride they added trims? lol I mean MM was already low on my priority but sheeeesh, way to neuter an already weak ride.

I know it's been said earlier in the thread but they actually removed what was genuinely the WORST part of the ride. Even with the trims this is still likely a major improvement in terms of comfort for the ride and is also likely just a better experience overall now.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I know it's been said earlier in the thread but they actually removed what was genuinely the WORST part of the ride. Even with the trims this is still likely a major improvement in terms of comfort for the ride and is also likely just a better experience overall now.
Well in fairness, it is personal. You and others have said that, but I've seen (including via private talks with friends) as many very disheartened by it and saying they enjoyed it despite being janky and rough. Some peoples worst part of the ride is others fav/2nd fav part. Like how some cant tolerate one part of a ride with a rattle, others love being thrown around to the point of needing a chiro, etc. Always subjective :)
Not ridden before can't have an opinion, though do wish I could've experienced the OG just to know. But this is what I get for not going sooner (can't help Covid nuked last year)

Hutch

Strata Poster
I mean, it's not like the ride doesn't have a bigger and better and better drop as the finale. That part is actually executed pretty well.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Oh yeah, tbh the whole ride (even as it was originally) looked lame and meh to me. It gave me the vibe of a log flume, slowly meandering for a while till the good part at the end. But since LRod is the coaster meme king figured I'd share the wealth lol

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well in fairness, it is personal. You and others have said that, but I've seen (including via private talks with friends) as many very disheartened by it and saying they enjoyed it despite being janky and rough. Some peoples worst part of the ride is others fav/2nd fav part. Like how some cant tolerate one part of a ride with a rattle, others love being thrown around to the point of needing a chiro, etc. Always subjective :)
Not ridden before can't have an opinion, though do wish I could've experienced the OG just to know. But this is what I get for not going sooner (can't help Covid nuked last year)
Stop legitimizing fanboys who say Mean Streak was better before Steel Vengeance. 😜

I never minded the original turn, just like how I didn't mind that entire middle-section of the rid. It's a meandering series of random track; not the Mona Lisa of Gerstlauer.

Be upset about the removal of Slidewinder. Be upset about the blatant deforestation for the new kiddieland coaster and ruining of ambience for the train ride. Be upset about losing one of the coolest, novel attractions, Adventure Mountain. But please don't give me guff about how removal of one element ruins an entire ride, especially when it's an obvious attempt of the coaster to improve a 14 year old roller coaster. I mean, comeon; it isn't like Dollywood is removing an entire inversion.

*ahem*

iu

Matt N

CF Legend
I’d agree here. I don’t have a particularly high roughness tolerance, personally, so I’d probably not have liked that section, but some like their rides a little bit rougher.

For example, the Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach gets lambasted by most in the enthusiast community because it’s very rough (for clarity, I’m not a huge fan myself), but my dad absolutely loves it, and that’s partly because of the fact it’s a bit rough. He considerably prefers PMBO to Mako, the other hyper coaster that we as a family have done, because he says that it’s “one of the craziest things he’s ever done” (although that might in part be down to the fact that he loves the drop over the sea), and that “the roughness adds an amazing sense of danger”, whereas he said that Mako was “too smooth” and “didn’t really do anything interesting”. He also loves things like Grand National and Saw, which I don’t really rate at all due to their roughness. That being said, though, his favourite coaster is actually SheiKra, which I seem to remember being incredibly smooth.

This community would be dull if we all had the same opinions; one person’s rough might be another person’s exciting, and one person’s smooth and rerideable might be another person’s boring!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I’d agree here. I don’t have a particularly high roughness tolerance, personally, so I’d probably not have liked that section, but some like their rides a little bit rougher.

For example, the Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach gets lambasted by most in the enthusiast community because it’s very rough (for clarity, I’m not a huge fan myself), but my dad absolutely loves it, and that’s partly because of the fact it’s a bit rough. He considerably prefers PMBO to Mako, the other hyper coaster that we as a family have done, because he says that it’s “one of the craziest things he’s ever done” (although that might in part be down to the fact that he loves the drop over the sea), and that “the roughness adds an amazing sense of danger”, whereas he said that Mako was “too smooth” and “didn’t really do anything interesting”. He also loves things like Grand National and Saw, which I don’t really rate at all due to their roughness. That being said, though, his favourite coaster is actually SheiKra, which I seem to remember being incredibly smooth.

This community would be dull if we all had the same opinions; one person’s rough might be another person’s exciting, and one person’s smooth and rerideable might be another person’s boring!
I can't help but point out the fact that although you say you much prefer smoother rides and don't really tolerate rougher rides, Mine Blower is in your top 10.