What's new

Fun With Statistics 2016

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Hi all

It has been 3 years since I've done this but I do always enjoy what weird and wonderful results it throws up.
I am a geophysicist by trade so the combination of maths and roller coasters has a certain charm for me at the same time this is all for fun and the numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I shall explain why as we progress but in essence as we go back in time the numbers are harder to verify and there is always going to be a little room for error with all the facts and figures found on the Internet. All numbers used here unless stated otherwise are taken from the excellent RCDB and all errors and mistakes are my own.

I apologise for the way this first post is Bar Chart heavy. Things will improve in later posts.

First up lets start simply.
The graph below shows the number of operating coasters per continent right now.
Operating-Per-Continent.jpg

Asia clearly dominates the numbers but i found it surprising Europe beats North America. Antarctica obviously has 0 :(
Australia needs to work on its coaster count but i found the lack of coasters in South America surprising.

Next up we have All Time coasters per continent. So this is all coasters that have ever existed on a continent according to the RCDB.
Coasters-Per-Continent.jpg

Interestingly USA jumps massively here. As shown by the next graph the USA has a whole load of coasters we know existed but no longer exist. Strangely Australia's numbers increase significantly. The next graph shows all coasters that no longer exist on each continent.

Nolonger.jpg

There is a certain obvious error here. We obviously don't know stuff from Asia beyond a certain point. As we go further back the data becomes less reliable. This is something we will look at later on. The RCDB is getting more accurate as we go along but when you look further back things become less certain.
North America and Australia are the only two continents that have more coasters now closed than coasters currently operating.

A classic graph from these articles is the number of coasters per country. When i first started these the USA dominated the graphs but over time China started to take the lead. These days China dominates.
Percountry.jpg

China and the USA still completely dominate the graph though with Japan, Germany and the UK filling up the top 5.

However I've learnt that this graph shows very little in real life. We all know china is the most populous place on the planet. So how many coasters are there per person really?
Per-Person.jpg

China does poorly here. But there are some countries that do really well. Denmark, UAE and Sweden are the top hitters but the UK, Netherlands and Belgium do well. India the second most populous country in the world does badly here. but china finishes above Russia.

There is another check we can do. Number of coasters per square km.
Persqkm.jpg

The Netherlands and Belgium have a strong showing here. Over taking Denmark, Sweden and the UK. If you want to live near a coaster the Netherlands is the place to be. Australia is perhaps not.

Another way to look at this is parks. How many parks are there on each continent?
Parkspercont.jpg

Once again Asia dominates the field but Europe comes in second.

We can break this down further. How many parks are there per country? we have already seen coasters per Country above.
Parks-per-Cont.jpg

China dominates again with the USA in second. Japan, Germany and the UK take up the top 5 once again.

But how do these 2 stats combine. How many coasters does each countries parks have on average?
Coasters-Per-Park.jpg

Again Denmark leads the field with a massive 3.8 coasters per park. The USA has a strong showing here but the UAE does really badly with less that 1 coaster per park. This is because there are a number of parks in the UAE that are still operating but have closed all their coasters.

This is just part one of this thread. Next time I plan to focus on the coasters and companies themselves.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yay! Love seeing breakdowns of the stats like this!

Looking forward to seeing the other installments. :)

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Love looking at this stuff! Well done roomraider, looking forward to seeing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I always love this work roomraider. :)

Also, reminds me of Demetri Martin's stand-up sketch on graphs:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpiVIVJ8Lsc[/youtube]

steel

Mega Poster
The per capita figures are the most useful I think. Asia has like 60% of the world's population and China (and India) are developing so quickly, it doesn't surprise me at all to see huge base numbers there. Whereas Australia (really Oceania) is only about 0.5% of the world's population.

I'm really into geography and demographics and cartography... I love diving into this stuff too.

Here's a fun map I put together a few years ago of (I think) every park in the US and Canada with a radius of 10 miles per operating coaster, with the idea that - very roughly speaking - a park with more coasters is usually bigger or more important. I think I might have made some arbitrary cuts for, like, zoos that have a Wacky Worm. I like this one because it gives a sense of how the geography of amusement parks does and occasionally doesn't line up with US and Canadian population density. Again, this is as of a couple years ago, and I know there are obvious problems with the methodology. It's just for fun. :)

AtWybeJ.jpg

(link)

gKegJYc.jpg

Naturally the Boston-Washington corridor is very very well represented, as are southern California, central Florida, the eastern Great Lakes (including the Golden Horsehoe in southern Ontario), and the lower Midwest. It also really illustrates how underserved a few big cities are - Houston, Miami, Portland, Memphis, and Nashville stick out most to me. Also Vancouver, Seattle, Sacramento, Winnipeg, Omaha, Honolulu, Ottawa, and Quebec City could easily support more than they have.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Hi all.
Thanks for the comments above.

I am really sorry it's taken this long to do part 2. I am at that part of my life that friends weddings are taking over everything and I've just not had the time i planned for this orginally. It may take me longer than planned but i promise I'll get these out over time.

Last time i mentioned I would look at coaster statistics. The most obvious one here is how many coaster are built per year.

Coasters1.jpg

This graph shows a clear upward trend over the last 10 years. But it is worth noting that this is based off of RCDB data and our tracking of Chinese coasters has got much better over the last 10 years thanks to people like Darren Mullins, Gavin Jones, Lisa Scheinin, Myself and many others. So details further back are less reliable.

Again i also have to say 2016 data is incomplete. Both of these points need to be noted for this graph. The number of new coasters in the USA and China
Coasters2.jpg

There are really strong trends here. And I dont think the increase in knowledge can account for all of it. China is having a coaster boom and the USA is having a bit of a dip.

Lets have a look at individual coasters built in China from 4 major companies.
Coasters6.jpg

THis graph shows B&M, Mack, Intamin and MVR/Gravity Group and their sales in China per year. theres no clear trend for anyone except the Gravity Group/Martin & Vleminckx which lead us on to this.....

We are all well aware that China is leading he way with wooden coasters recently so I decided to see if its affected the number of wooden coasters built overall.
Coasters3-1.jpg

This graph suggests not. 2000 is a clear anomaly here with 17 new wooden coasters built. With 2005 the low point with only 1 built. Since then the graph has fluctuated up and down but shows no huge gains.

However it is interesting to take some of the biggest western manufactures in China and see how much of their output is in the Chinese market
Coasters5.jpg

There is no strong correlation here for most companies but The Gravity Group and Martin & Vleminckx have a really high output in China with a strong showing since 2008. Arguably most of the best traditional wooden coasters in the last few years are in China (Excluding RMC here) and China has the three inverting woodies too.

Another interesting graph is the number of coasters currently operating from each major company.
Coasters4-4.jpg

There is a lot of interesting stuff here. Vekoma dominate but Zamperla and Golden Horse bring up a good second and third. Wiegand come in fouth and their recent inclusion on the RCDB is telling. I know that a good chunk of Wiegands rides are not on the DB and i wouldn't be surprised to see them top soon.

What i find interesting is that Mack and B&M are pretty much level right now and Intamin are only just ahead. You have to wonder how many projects at Intamin B&M worked on.

Some of the Chinese companies have less than i thought and with Hebei Zhongye perhaps the worst of the 4 major Chinese companies having more than the two Beijing companies.

Doppelmayr are doing poorly though :p

Something i found quite surprising is there are more operating Togo Coasters than GCI, Premier or S&S despite being out of business for so long

That's it for now. And I'm sorry for the shortness of this episode. But Ep 3 shouldn't be too long :)

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Love these statistics posts! I'm surprised Vekoma isn't up there, but they haven't built much in China lately other than a few boomerangs and family coasters.

TilenB

Strata Poster
CarolinaRider said:
Love these statistics posts! I'm surprised Vekoma isn't up there, but they haven't built much in China lately other than a few boomerangs and family coasters.
It seems that roomraider has missed them in his post. They have by far the most operating coasters, currently at 269.

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
CarolinaRider said:

Good spot. Just me being an idiot
This is exactly why i run these through forum posts before writing big articles.

I've redone the operating coasters per company graph with Vekoma. I also added a ton of other smaller companies i missed off to bulk it up a bit.

I also redid the woodies built per year graph. Somewhere in by spreadsheet things seem to have shifted slightly in that table so I've re-done it with the correct numbers

TilenB

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
CarolinaRider said:

Good spot. Just me being an idiot
This is exactly why i run these through forum posts before writing big articles.

I've redone the operating coasters per company graph with Vekoma. I also added a ton of other smaller companies i missed off to bulk it up a bit.

I also redid the woodies built per year graph. Somewhere in by spreadsheet things seem to have shifted slightly in that table so I've re-done it with the correct numbers
SBF Visa Group could be listed as well. Ever since they've hit the jackpot with those Figure 8 spinners their sales have skyrocketed with 110 currently operational coasters (and I'm pretty sure there are a few more that haven't been found or haven't been linked to them on rcdb yet).

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think the "surprise" of some Chinese manufacturers having low numbers is because there are absolutely loads of coasters listed on rcdb without a known manufacturer. I'm thinking all those Jungle Mouse coasters and powered dragons, very few of which have manufacturers attached to them, unlike the Golden Horse spinners which are easy to identify and label.

ignace

Mega Poster
I think you overlooked Kuwait? with 18 coasters for less than 3.5 million people, it should be in some of these statistics.