What's new

Fright nights

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Hi! I have two questions about fright nights which I would like like answered, surprisingly enough. ^^ Anyway on with the questions!

1. What are the mazes like? (Prefrebly descriptions of what goes on in each maze) I realise they change year to year but any descriptions will enlighten me!

2. What do chessington do for fright nights?

Many thanks!!!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
1. The mazes are all the same really. You walk around in a small group, lights flash, loud noises, smoke effects and actors jump out. Obviously there are slight differences between each maze, each has it's own theme, but essentially, they are all the same. In my mind they have all moulded together so I'm unable to give you a detailed description of each maze.

2. CWoA does not do "Fright Nights." They do Halloween. This involves placing loads of straw, pumpkins and cobwebs about. They'll drag out the coloured lights when it gets dark, as well as the smoke machine for Vampire's tunnel and a few photo opportunity props.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I wasn't too sure about the chessington halloween stuff but now I will have to go to check it out!

Ollie

CF Legend
I could talk about Thorpe's Fright Nights for ages. I remember when I made a topic about it a while back.

1. There are four mazes scattered around the park at Halloween. They are walk-through attractions where you go round in groups down narrow corridors and through certain scenes. There are live actors in there who do their best to scare you and build tension up. Also other effects in the mazes include strobe lights, loud noises, air blasts and themeing that you walk through like sheets. Also Hellgate has a rotating tunnel that you walk through.

Now a little run down on each of the mazes...

Asylum: This is the best, most action packed and intense maze every year at the park. It's located opposite the Carousel in the building next to Infernos shop. It's themed to a mental Asylum where all the inmates have escaped and are let loose on you. This maze mostly consists of chicken wire fencing. Disorientating strobe lights and a loud continuous air raid siren. It also has the best ending of all the mazes and sends almost everyone running out the exit only to be laughed at by spectators.

Hellgate: This maze started off as the weakest but has improved massively over the years. It's themed to an old gothic manor with dimly lit corridors and actors using the shadows to appear and disappear out of nowhere. It's housed round the back of the X:// No way out building by Slammer.

Se7en: One of the newer mazes themed to the seven deadly sins. It's inside a tent that goes down the length of the arena. Like the name suggests it contains seven scenes with each being themed to a different sin. It's one of the weaker of the mazes but has improved quite a bit each year.

The Curse: Only opened last year and is located in the beach area by Rush. It's one of the best themed mazes out of the four and is themed around an old ship. It's pretty good and not too intense but has some pretty unique and sudden scares. It just needs a better finale to send everyone running out the exit.

Hope that helps. So the mazes are basically...
Asylum: Intense, action packed maze with strobe lighting.
Hellgate: Dark corridors and creepy scenes with actors using shadows as advantage.
Se7en: Themed to the seven deadly sins. It's the most disgusting and gory maze in Thorpe.
The Curse: A mixture of all the mazes elements put into one. Quite new so room for it to improve each year.

2. Chessington Halloween (Hocus Pocus) is ok. They light up all the rides at night and fill Vampires tunnel with smoke which is pretty cool. They also turn Hocus Pocus hall into a tame walk-through. There are also quite a few photo opportunities throughout the park.

Hope that answers all your questions. If you've got any more just ask as I'm really into Halloween events and haunts and know quite a bit about them (even made my own one year). :D

Ollie

CF Legend
Sorry for the bump. But Thorpe have released a short video for each maze showing quite a few clips from inside each of them. It should help you see what to expect in each one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbR2m8E50-c&feature=channel[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SQKdimATG0&feature=channel[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s8WeRwmxJA&feature=channel[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJCnsTPY5jQ[/youtube]

cwoastaff

Roller Poster
Thorpe Park Fright Nights are really good Fun but not scary.

But im Acting in Asylum Hill and Tulleys Farm Shocktober Fest in their Brand New Maze. The Cellar with one of the Most well Know Scare Charactor and Actress. i Think its always a pain with Thorpe Park Fright Nights it too busy even on So called Quite days.

But i say Go Thorpe Park Fright Nights Before the Half term and enjoy it more.

THne go to Asylum Hill @ Shoreditch Town Hall in Shorditch london between the 23rd-25th oct and See which one is more Scary £6 entry

Word of Warning Asylum Hill will Have No boundrys so you think the touching rule is bad at thorpe you aint seen anything till you See Asylum hill.

But Thorpe like i said go before the Half term have fun

Ollie

CF Legend
Haha way to plug. :p
I will hopefully get to go to Tullys this year. It looks really good. Tom also makes good attractions but I think this years Asylum will wont be as intense as the original because of some of the reactions and reviews he got about going over the top.

Anyway back on topic. Yeah, the best time to go is early in the event during a weekday. The park is really quiet and you can have plenty of goes on everything including the mazes.

Rush

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Haha way to plug. :p

That's a bit rich coming from the person who feels its necessary to have a link to his YouTube page in every four posts he makes. :wink:

Ollie

CF Legend
^That was only in one topic and I still kept on topic by doing so because I was answering someones question. ;)

peep

CF Legend
Seeing as people seem to be unaware of it, Chessington are also adding a 'scare maze' to Vampire. I'm intrigued to see what they do as apparently it all takes place in the Vampire queueline.

I think they also have a magic type show going on somewhere, not sure where (doesn't say) but it can't be in Market Square because they got rid of the stage there.

What you have to remember is that Chessington's celebrations are more fun, not scary because of it being a family park.

Ollie

CF Legend
I take it this has become the topic to talk about the event then?

Apparently Se7en is meant to be amazing this year. Usually it's the weakest of the mazes but from the reviews it's shot up to peoples favourite in the park (even over Asylum).

Also with Saw coming alive...
Apparently all they have is actors in pig masks going up and down the fastrack side of the queue making the guests jump. They also have a couple by the rack and a couple outside. Also they've added fire onto the roof of the Saw Store.
I wasn't expecting that much from it anyway. The way Thorpe were adversing it it sounded like it was going to be another haunt style attraction. Still will keep us entertained while queuing. :)

Also it seems like they've added a couple of things...
="Thorpe Park"]Delve into a bite sized version of the SAW films with SAW - MOVIE BITES, survive Jigsaw's lesson, and redemption will be yours.
This attraction is for OVER 18'S ONLY!

Also...

Thorpe Park said:
EA and THORPE PARK are pleased to announce the EA Vault will be scaring you all silly with an exclusive preview of undead splatter-fest Left 4 Dead 2. You'll be able to try an exclusive co-op level from the upcoming sequel to the best-selling zombie horror survival game Left 4 Dead. But watch out - will our real-life Zombies be lurking within the shadowy corridors of the Vault? Come to the Dome and find out!
I'm unsure if this is for over 18's only as well. The Dead Space thing they did last year was.

At least I can actually do the over 18 things this year. But the only time in going to Fright Nights this year is with CF. And I'll have my little brother with me so doubt I'll get the chance to anyway.

nealbie

CF Legend
Oh dear, more Thorpe Park videos making their mazes look 100x better than they are. Still you've got to hand it to the media team, they do a damned good job I tell you! :lol:

Gotta be careful though, or Ollie will think that it levitates or some **** like that!

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Visited today at 3pm after college for filming and the mazes. I'd probally say Asylum or Se7en were the better two this year. Hellgate was just crap. Curse was boring and too short.

Big thanks to Ewan. He has gone out of his way to make sure Inferno looks good this year, all in his own time. Smoke machine under the loop is great. Blue lighting everywhere. Tunnel/Queue misters are thick. Nicely themed. Even mixed the audio for us. :)

Saw has flames and smoke machines in the plaza area which are cool. The ride? Dissapointing. Only 2 actors and NO other theming. Hardly worth any of the hype around it. The effects in the building are totaly out of sync with the cars too.

Stealth has new shoulder restraints that are L shaped instead of flat.

Attraction Count:

Asylum
Se7en
Curse
Hellgate
Stealth x1
Colossus x1 (front)
Inferno x4
Saw x1
Samurai x1

+ hours on end of filming.

So thats my mini TR of this event. It is good. Nothing to get over excited about. But yeah.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Agreed with above, if this is the place to chat about the HHN's then i shall. lol

Well just got back from Thorpe today, and tbh i could not of asked for a better day to of gone on. The park was basically walk on including the mazes.

Out of the mazes i feel hellgate was the weakest of them all. An as for saw well the area looked and felt amazing all it need was to be a scare zone. They had a mass amount of fog/dry ice the flame pan pots from (as said before) are now in this area also. And as for the actors, didnt really add that much but then again was well done!!!

Hellgate = Poor (compared to last year) just because their were sod all actors in at the time, not sure if it was just a bad time to go in or what (was around 4:30ish) but not many scares at all and only a handfull of said 4 actors were present.

Seven = alot better then last year!!!!! the sets were utilised alot better and also the acting was better ten fold!!!

the curse = was a bit hit and miss this year first time round sod all actors second time round was immense actors everywehere so try and get on this one at least twice!!!

Asylum = went on this about 6 or 7 times and at leats 4 times in a row. Due to sod all people in the park and also the acting was immense bad point tho was no bungy guys this year but apart from that again an awsome immense maze

all in all if you ever planning on going to HHN for the rides and mazes you should of gone today!!!