What's new

First Time at SFMM in 15 years!

Bpolson75

Roller Poster
2809EB37-6151-403A-9927-D550CF1C8198.jpegThis morning my family (wife liz, son linc age 9 and daughter Millie age 6) jumped on a Spirit flight ($50 each round trip from DFW) with everything packed in our free personal ítems. We landed at 9:45am got our rental car and headed straight to Magic Mountain! The last time I was here was 15 1/2 years earlier on my honeymoon (weeks before Tatsu opened!) and now my Coaster Feuding Family is back!

We arrived around 11:15 and with everyone’s advice I had worked out a plan to start at X2 and work our way around the back, but my son Linc was suddenly nervous about riding it. (I never pressure him- I let him do everything in his own time. He just finished riding every ride st SFOT so he is no wimp.) So suddenly my plan was foiled! We instead started the day with a 5 minute wait for Full Throttle- it was totally cool and unlike anything I had experienced before! it instantly was my son’s favorite coaster. We then went to Bugs Bunny World- this was a family trip and wanted to do a lot together. I grabbed 2 credits there before me and my son left to do some bigger rides. We passed by Goliath to get to Twisted Colossus. it was a walk on and we rode it 3 times- the last 2 times in the back and it was astounding! The way it pulls all the way through that last zero g roll is an incredible feeling! If only it were dueling! We then went over to Scream which had been one of favorites 15 years ago and it sorely disappointed me. It was rougher (and I’m older) and just not as great as I remember.

we then met up to eat at Food Etc, and LOVED IT! The cilantro lime chicken quesadilla with chips and salsa was delicious. My daughter had the mango ice cream and chicken strips and my wife the carne asada salad and it was all great! Linc and i rode Goliath while they finished eating and it was underwhelming. Similar to our Titan at SFOT but I like ours better. Interestingly enough, several people I talked to in the GP from Cali rank it one of their faves. After Goliath my son and daughter rode the swashbuckler wave swinger and then he and i headed for Lex! It was exhilarating the way you just. Keep. Falling! I thought we were going to smash into the pavement! My son was a little taken aback by it and probably won’t ride it with me tomorrow.

Next was Wonder Woman and then the Flash. our Whole family rode the flash which always a good thing but I HATED IT. I got crushed into the side with seatbelt pulling on me and I couldn’t wait for it to end, Next I walked on Crazanity and could definitely feel the extra 30 feet of height compared to the Riddler at SFOT- it was awesome! We skipped Batman and Riddlers Revenge to do tomorrow and next did the Bumper Cars as a family twice! Then the kids did the scrambler right next door. From there me and Linc rodé Goldrusher and then Linc and Liz… we tried to sneak Millie on but they caught her. I’m confused why the height requirement is 48”. she can ride the inverting Shockwave in Texas but not an arrow mine train… hmmm. next for me and Linc was West Coast Racers- it was a 20 minute wait and o, so worth it! It was just so totally fun! The dueling was amazing seeing people below you as your upside down! THIS became Lincs new fave and began creeping up my list!

we then headed to Ninja and rode it as a family- Eliz and Millies fav ride at the park. Tatsu, is closed despite testing a few days ago. We then split up again for the gals to get our food. Linc and I got in line for Viper and it would have been a walk on but a guy puked as the train pulled into the station. We waited about 10 minutes as they cleaned, then got on for one I had been anticipating with those 7 inversions. I will never ride it again. my son and I both got off hurting and several others as well. I had read it was a little rough but this was torture with the head banging and all. We then went to Full Throttle and got to ride 2 times in a row. We then backtracked for me to ride X2. I had been waiting adn waiting and waiting patiently all day to ride this my number one coaster for over 15 years. I got up and it was a walk on but suddenly realized I had my phone… what should I do?? my wallet and backpack were with the fam so I stuck it in my sock and then put my show back on and tied it and then rode cross legged the whole time! Because of this I don’t think I maximized my experience and am with holding judgement until tomorrow. linc and I then walked on New Revolution for a final little jaunt and the day was done.

we headed across the street to the newly remodeled Best Western, had a little swim and now everyone’s asleep getting ready for another great day at SFMM!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is quite a wholesome report - sounds like you guys are having a great time together!

Do you think your son will ride X2 tomorrow?

Bpolson75

Roller Poster
Sooooo….we got to the park at 9:45 and snagged A great parking spot… at the opening of the gates we started with a ride on full throttle. Then we went for my son to ride Revolution which is about as wild as she gets. From there it was on to X2! Linc and I waited about 15 minutes, got to the front and he decided not to ride... so I walked him back to the Chop Six where Eliz and Millie were supposed to be waiting. They weren’t there. And they had my phone. We waited about 30 minutes first thinking they had to go to the bathroom and then wondering what horrible thing had befallen them. Finally we borrowed someone else’s phone and called and they had gone to Bugs Bunny World and forgotten they had my phone and forgotten that they had agreed to wait at Chop Six. That got the day going the wrong direction. About an hour wasted at MM!!

i Then got the Road Runner kids credit and we went for lunch... again with the quesadilla! Linc and I ate fast and did Twisted Colossus in the front which was cool but not as exhilarating as in the back. We had noticed Superman testing before the park opened but not running. I did Batman while the kids did Flash. Next was the Bumper cars and then Riddler’s Revenge. This exceeded my expectations! Both me and Linc loved it! Something about standing up doing the big drops and inversions is so unique! This was only the 2nd stand up I’d ridden and it was a beaut!

my wife and daughter then headed up the mountain to ride Ninja a few times while us boys went and did West Coast Racers and then Apocalypse. WCR was just as fun as yesterday and Apo was a fun walk-on. we then joined the girls up the hill for a couple more rounds of Ninja. Then we heard it... Superman was running! we went over and did the forward side twice with about a 15 minute wait each time, It was still very good and Linc really liked the 100mph launch!

Next everyone else started looking for food and I found my way back to x2. Would it hold on to the place in my mind and heart as it had for the previous 15 years?!? I sure hoped so! I met Several people in line that were riding for their first time and it was so cool to hear the excitement and anticipation that they had and that I shared with them. After riding the front car someone asked what it was like and i best describe it as ‘uncontrolled mayhem’. They said thats what they were hoping for. I’m not sure it could ever have lived up to my previous expectations but it was indeed still a crazy intense rush of a adrenaline that I loved!

lastly linc and i finished with a walk-on and reride of Full Throttle before we jumped into the car and headed to the beach. I’m not sure yet where my rankings will hit after this trip but I believe X2 will cede several spots. I added 8 credits on this trip taking my total to 67. when I sort it all out I’ll post in the other thread.

Magic Mountain was good to us and hopefully we will return sooner than 15 years!