What's new

Favourite pre lift hill moments

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There are a several coasters that have a little section of track, sometimes containing an element or themed structure, before the train reaches the lift hill. Like a warm up before the main event, an amuse-bouche before a main course, foreplay before...you get the idea. Hades 360, Hydra and Smiler spring to mind.

Although I'm sure that somebody will jog my memory of a coaster I can't think of now, but Inferno at Thorpe Park is my favourite. I love everything about it. From the moment the twinkling music comes on, the gates opening and then dropping down into an atmospherically lit* and misty* tunnel where the train swings side to side.

What yours?

* Insert obvious joke about effects not working here.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Sticking with good ol' Thorpe Park, the whole of Saw's 'dark ride' section has to be in with a shout here, surely?

^PS - Excellent usage of the term 'amuse-bouche'. :)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thunderation? Adventure Express? :p

Other than the ones you've already mentioned, I have to admit that not many others are springing to mind - let alone good ones. :p

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Half of De Vliegende Hollander is an atmospheric boat ride before the coaster section also the on ride Pre-show on Baron 1898 is amazing. Also the first thing on Paris' Big Thunder Mountain is literally the train dropping into a mine shaft. Best in the UK is definitely Saw. The little drop inside the warehouse is like the best part of the ride.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
The only ones that come to mind are Adventure Express and Mystic Timbers.

MT because of the guy who keeps screaming at you when you're going up.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Will

Strata Poster
Fluch von Novgorod is the first to spring to mind, but honourable mention to Baron 1898 and DVH after doing both this week :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh yeah, there's that malfunctioning saw mill saga on the woodie at Tripsdrill, Mammut. That's quite fab.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I really love Saw's dark ride section. That drop was so unexpected, and it was pretty well themed. That presection is much better than the actual ride in my opinion.

However, I have to give it to Space Mountain at Disney World. Sure, it's short and not terribly thrilling. It is just so iconic though, and the space tunnel effect is just so great. It's my personal favorite.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not technically pre-lift hill but both Baco and Blue Fire's pre-launch bits are pretty good.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Spoiler alert :D
Karacho starts similar to the Smiler, but a bit more surprising. It doesn't start with a curved drop, instead, the cars leave the station into a >180° curve at walking pace. At the end of the curve it is completely dark, and suddenly there is a small drop (which can be surprising especially because it's a 2-row car), and after that the heartline roll, in complete darkness as well. Only the on ride photo flash reveals the incoming inversion for a split second. Another curve and after that comes the launch.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Another +1 for Saw.

Inferno's is also cool, I just don't think I have many pre-lift experiences to reel off!

ASteelersMidget

Roller Poster
I'm a pretty big fan of Expeditions Everet's section pre lift. it's not the most thrilling or exciting but it's just fun.

Also Firechaser Express's opening section is a ton of fun

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I like pre-lift sections a lot, especially if they are themed. Getting you hyped for the ride. I really don't like it when the lifthill starts directly at the station, or launches out of the station. While the launch out of the station may be cool when you stand next to it, it is just not as epic as Blue Fire's launch for example with its tense atmosphere.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Black Mamba, just for the lighting and music. The station is also probably my favourite station ever just for atmosphere.
Also Saw and Inferno are pretty nice!

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I'm going to cheat and say Helix at Liseberg (pre-launch rather than pre-lift). Sitting at the back, that drop out of the station is amazing plus there's a Mack corkscrew thrown in before the launch too...