What's new

Favourite (Former) Top Gear Presenter

Who is your favourite Top Gear presenter?

• Jeremy Clarkson

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • James May

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • That other guy.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I don't 'not like' Hammond, he used to be my favourite, it was all the publicity after his crash in 2006(?) that made me watch Top Gear and I felt sorry for him but he has become an irritating little man, that episode where they make a car chase for The Sweeney movie, omg he REALLY **** me off, just an irritating little ****, but I love it when he gets angry, like when he's up the mountain in Canada waiting for James and Jeremy to 'rescue' him.

My Grandma hates Hammond thanks to the Morrisons advert where he pushes the shopping trolley up a mountain.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4lPtWGvj3U[/youtube]

James is my favourite because he's so cool and blazé and he just cracks me up all the time. Love that man. Plus he is pretty underrated as he gets a little less screen time than the others and, overall, he's quieter I think. Ahh James.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I love them all. I voted for Jeremy because he's my fave but I really like Hammond too. He can be really funny in TG and Ive found a lot of the other stuff he's done on TV (mostly science and geography related documentaries) interesting too though I think I prefer James May's fantastic toy stories series which I hope comes back at some point.

Im not really into the obstacle course game show genre but when Hammond was presenting Total Wipeout I would actually leave it on whilst eating dinner whereas now I'd go straight to The Simpsons.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Clarkson is an oaf but he's good at it, it's obviously exaggerated as that's what his audience wants.

Hammond on Top Gear got worse on the regular shows as the years went on but on the special where he was more himself he was great. Wipeout was awful, he did some science show which was decent (I want to say Brainiac? with some berk from Big Brother JON)

James May is the most genuine of the three, and I love his Toy Stories series.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It has to be James May. He's an unashamed geek, which is a quality I admire in everybody I meet. He's evidently comfortable in his own skin and doesn't need to play up to the cameras like Clarkson and Hammond do. When me and my mates Paul and Ren play Top Gear, we always argue who plays May. I always end up being Clarkson which irritates me slightly. Yes, I'm that childish.

nealbie

CF Legend
Hammond is great, he doesn't give a crap what people think of him in the same way as Jeremy, but unlike Clarkson he isn't a tit about it. This is why he's a class act. He's also a fantastic presenter and is even better, as has been said before, when he is allowed to just be himself. He's certainly the most human of the three.

May used to be great, and probably still is off screen, but in front of the camera he's just been made to be quirky for the sake of being quirky these days and it grates.

mouse

Giga Poster
He's also a fantastic presenter and is even better, as has been said before, when he is allowed to just be himself.
What?!
Sure he's a good presenter on shows that require the usual boring presenting job, but Top Gear is largely about a clash of unique personalities - and Hammond just doesnt have much of a personality. He's just so wooden! He can't act, he makes it so obvious that he is speaking from a script it detracts from the conversational tone of the show. Jeremy and James have distinct personalities, and Richard just sucks up to them and tries to be like them.

nealbie

CF Legend
Youtube videos of a TV show called 'Braniac', from the early 00's which he did at the same time as Top Gear, he's flipping marvellous in it. Don't blame you for not seeing it, as you're only 17 now, so would have been 6/7 when he stopped. :)

mouse

Giga Poster
^ I love brainiac! I practically grew up watching (largely repeats of) it :). I admit Hammond was good on that, however had there been other presenters with bigger characters (such as James or Jeremy) he would have been very overshadowed. Brainiac was brilliant with him, but personally I preferred it after Vic Reeves took over - he had a much larger and more unique personality which I think greatly added to it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Brainiac was amazing, loved that show, and he was great it in. I was so disappointed when Vic Reeves took over as main presenter. :/

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, Vic Reeves almost single handedly ruined the show, but not by being bad, just by virtue of how amazing a job Richard Hammond did.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Oh please, he was awful. With this sort of presenting job (and with Top Gear) you need some sort of acting talent, Reeves felt so false. I'm too young to have watched (and remember) Brainiac be first broadcast when Hammond did it, I remember watching when Reeves presented and it did get me into it and I enjoyed it because I didn't know any better, then I saw repeats with Hammond and it was so much better. I struggle to watch (and enjoy) the episodes with Reeves in now. I could be wrong but even when Hammond was main presenter, didn't Reeves star in places? He's a petulant child.

mouse

Giga Poster
Ok, I'm struggling now. Hammond WAS very good on Brainiac... although I still think he's **** on Top Gear - I find he comes across as very false and trying to be like the other two.
Jordanovichy said:
Oh please, he was awful. With this sort of presenting job (and with Top Gear) you need some sort of acting talent, Reeves felt so false.
Although good in Brainiac, I think Hammond shows no acting talent in Top Gear - you can clearly tell he is speaking from a script especially when compared to Clarkson and May. I get what you mean about Vic Reeves being false, that is just his character and I found him much more entertaining :).

On a slightly unrelated note, here's a great Stewart Lee routine about why he hates Top Gear (and particularly Hammond)...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc[/youtube]

Clarkson...he just didn't give two caps

And I love it...also shout out to the first American cast with Tanner Foust, Rutledge Wood, and the other nut...I actually prefer the first American cast to the British

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Clarkson...he just didn't give two caps

And I love it...also shout out to the first American cast with Tanner Foust, Rutledge Wood, and the other nut...I actually prefer the first American cast to the British
Holy crap dude - an 8+ year bump! C'mon...