What's new

Favorite Drop Tower rides

Error

Strata Poster
Didn't see this on here, so I assume it's not:

What's everyone's favorite tower rides and why? Do you like Intamin's over S&S, or maybe a small one is better for you? Or prehaps you don't like them all together?

I've been on 4 overall, and I rank them as such:

4) Demon Drop-Cedar Point: I can count it down perfectly, but it's shakey as hell the entire time.
3) Power Tower-Cedar Point: Shot is over too soon, and Drop isn't pure enough. They're both fun, but not hugely.
2) xscream-Waldemeer: PURE drop, and none of the waiting to be dropped crap, either. You get up there, you fall. Awesome.
1) Acrophobia-Six Flags over Georgia: Standing floorless tilting giro freaking awesome.

Your thoughts?

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Personally I prefer Intamin over the others because I love the freefalling feeling and Fabbri are really good aswell.

This is how I'd rank my Drop Tower list:

1. Hurakan Condor (Stand-up Floorless)
2. Apocalypse (Stand-up)
3. Detonator
4. Venom
5. Extremeis

And my top S&S Shot Towers are:

1. Cliffhanger
2. Hyper Blaster (It's tiny but it's full of airtime)
3. Ice Blast
4. Volcanic Impact (Would be No.1 if it still tilted)

Ben

CF Legend
I'm not ranking all mine, that would take me years.

My favourites include, but are not limited to:

Apocalypse
Venom
Drop Zone (KD)
X-Scream, Waldameer
Mystery Castle

Ones that stand out as ****:

Hurakan Condor
La something or other de la Engima, Parque Warner
That crap one at Parque De A.

Yes, Spain has terrible Drop Towers for some reason. They make up for it with PNDOL though.

I'm excited for Scream later in the year >.<

As for Shot Towers, the smaller ones are without a shadow of a doubt the best, and Hyper Blaster is my favourite. I used to like what is now Barnstormer, but it made me feel very ill last year :(

I've not been overwhelmed by Shot 'n' Drops, like the one at SFNE. Just plain S&S Drop Towers are OK (except Warner's still sucked in drop mode), I liked the one at Lake Compounce.

... I have ridden too many Drop Towers...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I guess it's Japp Space Shot at TusenFryd for me.

You can guess the reason yourselves.

Snoo

The Legend
^^Agreed. I also lost count.

My 4 favorites:

Drop Tower at Kings Island
XScream at Waldameer
AtmosFEAR at Morey's Piers
Demon Drop at Cedar Point

Nothing else aside from those have been notable enough.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
My favourites, in no particular order would be:

Scream @ Heide Park
Apocalypse
Detonator
Giant Drop

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here is my top three:

1. Drop Tower (Drop Zone) at Kings Island tops my list. A natural freefall drop, it is not as intense as its S&S Drop Tower counterparts, but the suspense it is able to build as you slowly climb to the top is unmatched by any other towers.

2. Power Tower at Cedar Point may lack in negative g's, but that's all. It has the most forceful drop I have ever experienced (it is afterall a launched drop).

3. Demon Drop at Cedar Point is a total classic, how can you forget its 26 year old airtime?

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
Im not really a big fan of tower drops, but the best one ive ever been on is apocolypse standing at drayton manor. Detonator wasnt too bad when they had the countdown aswell. I like ice-blast aswell just because the view is nice at night, with the illuminations all along the beach.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Apocalypse - Drayton Manor (By far the most impressive)
Tower of Terror - Disneyland Paris (The theming and story is immense)
Hurakan Condor - Port Aventura (For the sheer height of the thing)
Detonator - Thorpe Park (Actually, I think the push at the top is wicked)

1. Any of those small fair drop towers; they're only like 100 feet high or so but man, they pack a huge punch and can take a toll on you when there's no line and you reride over and over all night.

2. Tower of Terror- I don't remember it well but the theming was great, that's for sure.

3. Drop Zone- It's not as high as its counterparts at other former Paramount parks, but eh it was still scary as heck and provided probably the coolest view of any drop tower I've been on.

4. Power Tower- May not have the most powerful drop but it's still high and it's still great fun!

5. Demon Drop- Love this little sucker and though it's more forceful than some of the biggies, it can't compare height wise and to be honest, the oldness of it scares the crap out of me!

ryan462

Hyper Poster
I havn't been on that many drop towers seeing as im not really a fan of them. Out of the few I have been on, I would say Detonator is the best.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
My favorite drop tower has to be HTH, Disneyland California. (Hands down!)
All drop towers tend to be generic. (No matter how you build them)
But tower of terror, all of them, put a great twist on them.
The themeing and everything put into the ride is breath taking. It's one of the most detailed rides I've ever seen.

Second would have to be Demon Drop at CP, or any other first generation Intiman drop tower.

Third: Sky Diver at Castles and Coasters.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I've been on;

Hurakan Condor, Port Aventura
Space Vertigo, Gardaland
Detonator, Thorpe Park
La Venganza del Enigma, Parque Warner Madrid

The one at Parque Atracciones was closed when I was there but so I'd rate them:

1. Hurakan Condor (Miles above the rest)

2. Space Vertgio (Tiny drop tower but still a great rush)
3. La Venganza del Enigma (My 1st S&S towers, fun launch, small pop of air and nice view)
4. Detonator (Just way to short)

A

Anonymous

My favorites are:
Blue Fall - Sea Paradise (only the fake drop sides)
Fritt Fall Tilt - Gröna Lund (80 meter, stand-up floor-less tilting)
Mystery Castle - Pantasialand (indoor shot/drop tower)
Scream - Heide Park (gyro drop)

Other ones worth mentioning:
First Gen Intamin ones.
G-Max - Tobu Zoo
Tower Hacker (Tokyo Dome City (especially the sides towards the spinning coaster)

Don't really like the S&S versions though...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My favourite is UFO at Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village:

http://www.coasterforce.com/UFO_Formosan

Gyro Drops are easily the best drop towers for me, and the theming and effects on UFO are fantastic, too.

After that it's pretty much any Intamin drop tower, with Blue Fall up near the top due to the sheer size of it, Apocalypse because of the stand-up option, and Pagoda's Revenge for the theming.

I was expecting a lot from Detonator, but found it to be pretty disappointing after the double-sized version in Korea.

The S&S towers are ok, but I've just ridden too many of them now.

Huss towers can suck my balls. Crap.

So:

1. UFO
2. Blue Fall
3. Gyro Drop (Lotte World)
4. Apocalypse
5. Pagoda's Revenge
6. Any other Intamin
7. Mega Drop (Korea)
8. Any S&S
9. Anything else

100. Huss Shot/Drop

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
quick reviews of some of the notable one's I've been on..

Tower of terror - the dlp version is slightly better than orlando, the theming and overall experience make it the best ride evah!

mystery castle - nicely done enclosed shot / drop tower

detonator - may be small, but packs a real punch

apocolypse - stand up floorless is scaaaarrryy!

s and s shpot towers - woooooo!

the bounce (oakwood) - LAME! seriously slow

thx

Mega Poster
I don't really know what's my favourite one.
I like these a lot:

-Apocalypse
-Hurakan Condor-the drop isn't that good, but the heights and views make up for it a bit.
-Mega Drop (Power Park) it felt very much like Detonator, even a bit more forceful
-Tower of Olymp (is it a new name?)-Holiday Park