What's new

Favorite 3 comedians and why?

A

Anonymous

i Love Bill Baily for his randomness with his comedy and his seemingly unorginised preformances that add to the funny. i like Adam Hill for his irony and his truths that are very funny and lastly i like Lee Evans for his dramatic preformances.

Crow

Mega Poster
1) Bill Bailey - For his musical and surreal comedy.
2) Micheal Mcintyre - For his hilarious observationsl of Human behaviour.
3) Ross Noble - "Meat on the Face"

Aaron

Hyper Poster
Hmmm this is a very difficult question actually because I am a big fan of stand up...

OK

1. Bill Bailey - he's a genius and his music/comedy mix is great - I went to see him live last november and it was so funny I couldn't breathe at times. I met him too - he's awesome.
2. Jimmy Carr - Just because he is so crude, I love it. Plus he's really cheeky. I've been to see him live twice, and both times I was in stitches. I met him as well lol.
3. Eddie Izzard is a very close third, only because I've yet to see him live, but that is soon remedied as I'm going to see him at the 02 in December!

Ben

CF Legend
1. Alan Carr <3 "It looked like somebody had bombed Lidl". Such a queen.

2. Michael McIntyre for the Tube bit. That is SO funny.

3. Jo Brand. Just a dry, hilarious woman.

Dave

CF Legend
Here's my new line up of fav comedians

- Ross Noble- Don't base him on some of his DVD's, see him live, its much funnier!

- Eddie Izzard- A Python born too late, master of observation

- Dave Gorman- What a great story teller!

See I have a problem with most comedians like Michael MacIntyre, he may be a good deliverer, but he repeats so many of his jokes anywhere he can!
Lee Evans is over rated, I saw him on his BIG tour and didn't laugh as much as I thought I would, one woman would laugh hysterically when he laughed.
Bill Bailey has just got too much money and this is evident on Tinsleworm when these Pink Floyd-esque performances just kinda fall flat because its a bit too grandeur.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
1) Jimmy Carr - Exact same reasons as Az, plus i've got tickets to see him in Southampton on the 10th May :D

2) Bill Bailey - I really found him funny up until Tinselworm, then it was not *that* funny but still made me laugh a bit. Songs are brill tho.

3)Michael McIntyre - He makes me laugh so much, probably because he's so eccentric and the whole west country stuff had me in tears

"I'm in aaaaaaadvertising" :lol:

Inverse

Hyper Poster
1) Michael McIntyre - He digs out what people really think but don't usually say.

2) Bill Bailey - Geek humour for the masses

3) Jack Dee - Although i'm bored of Live at the Apollo repeats on Dave, he's still really funny.

Homer

Hyper Poster
They'd be Carlos Mencia, Larry the Cable Guy, and Dane Cook... not.

3. Demetri Martin: Good, abstract, and funny dumb humor. However, he doesn't do too well with a half hour show.

2. Stephen Lynch: I'll let this do the talking: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeC_nDFusoY[/youtube]

1. Jim Gaffigan: Just an overall decent comedian.

Honorable mentions: Jeff Dunham, Dave Atell, and Mitch Hedberg (RIP). Out of all the comedians I've read here, I only recognize Jimmy Carr, which I like for his crudeness as well.

Lain

Giga Poster
Ross Noble
Tim Minchin

Those are definitely my top two, but there are so many others that could be number three, it's difficult to choose just one.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Michael Macintyre is horrendously over rated in my opinion. Dreadfully unfunny whenever I've seen/heard him :(

In no particular order.

Dave Chappelle - His stand up and sketch show are genius, hilarious, and pushing the boundary. Epicly funny.

Mitch Hedburg - Extremely witty jokes, brilliant delivery.

Pablo Francisco/Lee Evans old material/Johnny Vegas when pissed/Jimmy Carr/Jack Dee - Hard to narrow those down to just one.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Billy Connolly (now there's a surprise). Simply the funniest for the longest.

Alan Carr - Camp humour at its' best.

Peter Kaye - Good all round fun.

I guess that I like obervational humour.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Although David Mitchell doesn't do stand up, he is quite possibly the funniest man in existence. His appearences on QI, Quiz of the year, Would I lie to you, Mock the week etc are fantastic. His delivery of Mark in Peep Show is brilliant, his column in The Observer is a good read too. Shame the Mitchell and Webb sketch show is a bit hit and miss.

Ross Noble, for obvious reasons.

Not sure on the third. MacIntyre is good, but I can see him wearing pretty thin, pretty fast (kind of like Peter Kay), Jimmy Carr is good when he's doing ANYTHING but his stand up. Pretty funny on 8 out of 10 cats, or when he's a guest on Moyles or something, or again, on QI. But his stand up is horrible, but I don't like just jokes out of a can.
Dave's reminded me of Dave Gorman... genuinely funny guy, but I've never seen his stand up, and none of his TV stuff will ever come close to "The Dave Gorman Collection".
I actually get frustrated watching Bill Bailey, I think he's just a bit too obscure.
Jack Dee... now there's an interesting one. Stand up is pretty funny, and I LOVED Lead Balloon.

Haha, god knows.

Emmett

Giga Poster
My favourites keep on changing but at the moment my 3 are:-

Stuart Lee - Started to watch his new show and really like his style. I like the political comedy style he does and the Lee and Herring show from years ago was brilliant.

Pete Kay - Even though I was not a big fan of his 'Britains Got The Pop Factor' show, Phoenix Nights was one of my favourite shows of all time and even Max and Paddy was very good. His stand shows are pretty good too even though they are a bit repetitive.

Jack Dee - Apart from the crap sitcom he does I love most of his stand up shows and I really like pissed off sense of humour.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Michael Macintyre - Same as everyone else, but ever since he was a virtually unheard of comedian on the royal variety show a few years back, I've tried to watch anything he's been on.

Tim Minchin - His songs are so funny, and he's just awesomely weird.

The other one is difficult to pick, but I would have to go for a short one-liner comedian like Lee Mack or Tim Vine.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn said:
Although David Mitchell doesn't do stand up, he is quite possibly the funniest man in existence. His appearences on QI, Quiz of the year, Would I lie to you, Mock the week etc are fantastic. His delivery of Mark in Peep Show is brilliant, his column in The Observer is a good read too. Shame the Mitchell and Webb sketch show is a bit hit and miss.

Yes, it's a shame he doesn't do stand up. I think he needs a second person or platform to bounce off though. He's an idea capturer and sends it back with his own brilliant take on it.

Martyn said:
Ross Noble, for obvious reasons.

There's one.

Martyn said:
I actually get frustrated watching Bill Bailey, I think he's just a bit too obscure.

I love it, but there's only a degree in which you can take it. Eventually you realise it's clever disguised catch phrase comedy. Run out of genuinely funny things to say? Insert catchphrase. In Bill Bailey's case though, he throws in something utterly obscure and random instead. As he relies on it more, it becomes less funny. However, some of his stuff is genuinely brilliant. His songs are superb, he's very clever, very witty, very quick and surprisingly well educated for the appearance he gives.

So he's number 2 for me, but only in that kind of golden period he had.

Ben said:
3. Jo Brand. Just a dry, hilarious woman.

I don't imagine there are many juices flowing with her, no...

I've seen her do semi-series kind of things, and she is actually funny and clever. However, her stand up is utter tosh.

"I'm fat, pass me the cake".
"I'm ugly, pass me the cake".
"My husband is useless, pass me the cake".
"I'm fat and ugly because my husband is so useless he didn't bring cake".
"Did I mention how fat and ugly I am?"

That about covers it really...

My third is either Steve Martin, or Rowan Atkinson. Both were brilliant at stand up in their early careers. Rowan's comic timing was spot on. Steve Martin was a snapshot in time I think. Looks old now, but was cutting edge back then. He's also an awesome juggler and I learned the yo-yo and oy-oy from him :)

Rowan (superb sketch):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-yW4KlowMo

bob_3_

Giga Poster
As much as people hate him, I just cannot stop laughing when I see Russell Brand live. He's a genius.

Also Alan Carr. He reminds me of someone I know too lol.

and Eddie Izzard. Just a legend.

I'm quite selective with my stand-ups but these three never fail to entertain me. I never seem to get Ricky Gervis, Peter Kay or Lee Evans. =/.

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
1.) Kathy Griffon. Just a hilarious person that is fine with getting banned from places and making enemies with other celebrities.
2.) Larry The Cable Guy. So stupid that he is funny as hell.
3.) Tom Foxworthy. All the "You might be a redneck if" statements.

Those are my three.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Im not picking 3, I'll do a list. In no particular order...

Russell Howard.

Lee Mack.

Lee Evans.

The scottish one. (can't remember name)

Jack Dee.

Peter Kay.

The nothern one on Live at the Apollo....(names :roll: )

...Are just some who deserve a mention. Do I need to explain why? They are funny.

coasterboy

Mega Poster
Has got to be-
1. Bill Bailey [Hosenbugler!} because he can make fun out of absolutley anything

2. David Mitchell because he is just weird.

3.Jo Brand because she's so loud mouthed.