What's new

Fantasy Football (American football)

bmac

Giga Poster
stillbetterthancassel.0_standard_500.0.gif

Colossus

Giga Poster
Mark Sanchez is an apex ass-clown.

I did however really enjoy my roast dinner on Thursday whilst enjoying the Texans Lions game.

Snoo said:
Btw.. 12-0.

**** MICHIGAN!

Well VTech finished 6-6 which is appalling, but we did however beat those Virginia scumbags today, so not all that bad ;)

bmac

Giga Poster
Would of have been 7-5 if they didn't bend over at tue last second for FSU.

Vtech UVA was a great game either way, I iust hope we don't get overhyped next year (why do they always start vtech in the top 20?)

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Oh god, we gave VT that game. We had them beat but for several incredibly stupid decisions on coach Mike London's part. First was the fake field goal play on 4th and 8, passing up a makeable 38-yard attempt. Given that we were up a touchdown in a game where points were coming at a premium, there was absolutely no need to take such a careless risk. Just kick the field goal & take the higher odds of adding points, rather than the low-percentage fake on 4th down with EIGHT yards to go! Football is such a momentum game, and that decision killed all of the momentum we had & gave it right back to Tech, who took the proceeding drive all the way down the field for a tying touchdown.

Then there was the end-game clock management, which was totally indefensible. Tech gets into FG range late, and we waste a crucial timeout to ice the kicker - a strategy for which no data exists to support that it works. Turns out they missed the kick, but I still hated that waste of a timeout & knew it would come back to haunt us. Lo and behold, once Tech got the ball back, they get back into FG range again, and we have one less timeout to use for stopping the clock & giving our offense a chance once they kick the field goal. But then, London goes full retard and chooses NOT to call any timeouts at all, banking on Tech missing what amounts to a PAT and deciding not to try to give the offense a chance to tie the game.

That end-game management was totally inexcusable, and unfortunately is just the latest and greatest example of major coaching blunders on Mike London's part. Aside from his litany of in-game coaching mistakes that even a snot-nosed 13 year old playing Madden online wouldn't make:
- He's put an undisciplined team on the field which commits more penalties and turnovers than almost any other in the country
- He's refused to pick a QB and instead insists on an asinine rotation that gives neither one a chance to develop
- He shows no composure on the sideline and throws a temper tantrum every time a call or penalty doesn't go our way, which not only makes him look like an ass but emotionally affects his judgment
- And he's allowed Anthony Poindexter - in my opinion, the worst ST coordinator in all of college football - to stay on for entirely too long, even after it's become painfully obvious how awful our special teams are.

This was our chance to end this miserable losing streak to our rival, and London flushed it away. His ass needs to be out the door tomorrow, but unfortunately there's almost no chance of that happening.

Thank God I still have one good team to root for. Roll tide.

bmac

Giga Poster
Last year when I wasn't really into following just one team (I literally rooted for both UVA and VT) I was calling for London's dismissal. Now that I root only for VT I look at it more as an Andy Reid situation.

The fans want him gone but everyone who faces him week in and week out wants him to stay :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Horrible news today from KC where LB Javon Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend and then himself in front of General Manager Scott Pioli, Head Coach Romeo Crennel, and another coach (who I presume to be the LB coach/D. coordinator). Truly an appalling act and the details may never be known, but left behind is their three month old daughter, which may be the biggest travesty of all.

My phone started blowing up at about 8 this morning PST, with friends asking what was going on. I was asleep so I immediately got on and realized it was as bad as it is. My first reaction was shock, then anger that someone would do such a thing. It's bad enough what happened, but the coaches and GM were trying to calm him down, and stop him, but they weren't successful. Apparently they were as close as three feet, and I'm sure they did everything they could to stop him. As a lifelong Chiefs fan, it's really hard to think that a player did this, on team property. The team was getting ready for a meeting. The season itself is horrible, and now this happens.

SaveOurChiefs (fan movement to remove current GM and Coach) had planned another black out for tomorrow and a "Can Pioli Food Drive" to help those in need, but both have been cancelled due to this happening. They are working on setting up donations for the now orphaned baby girl to help her. There is once thing about Chiefs fans, they are loyal as anyone and I'm sure that the baby will be taken in by the organization and helped throughout her life, just as the team did for Derrick Thomas' family after his death following the car accident. Once they get a true charity set up, they will give all donated funds to that charity. The NFL is working on setting something up as well.

One big thing people keep commenting on is the game tomorrow, play or not. The Chiefs are 1-10, Panthers, 2-9. This is far from a marquee game. While they shouldn't cancel it, they should have at least postponed it a day. Give the players some time to regroup, they just lost a friend, many of whom who have been on the same team for the past 4 years. The guy was an undrafted player who started 59 games in 4 years, he was an underdog. From everything I have read (and it was basically my entire day) there were never any reports of this guy having any sort of bad behavior, or physical abuse ever. Apparently him and the girlfriend argued, but never got violent. His agent is a guy who typically only signs good character guys. Nobody will know what was in his head that made him do this, sadly it happened and it can't be undone.

RIP Javon Belcher and Kassandra Perkins.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I felt the post above needed to be left alone and not have anything else in it. Too serious of a post to add anything else to it...

K-State is going to the Fiesta Bowl! Most likely to play Oregon. This game will be much more entertaining than the NCG. I hate Saban and his smug **** face, so I have to root for the gold domers sadly. If the playoff system were already in place, these would be the teams in the system surely.Sadly, it is a few years away, but I am calling the alumni association Monday to order my tickets. Can't freakin wait.

Colossus

Giga Poster
^^
A very very sad situation, my thoughts are with the young girl, the families of Javon and Kassandra, and the whole Chiefs family.

I credit the Chiefs for going ahead with the game today, and I think all but the folks in Carolina, wanted the Chiefs to get a win today.
So well done to them for playing well today with the heaviest of hearts, but all in all a very sad time for the Kansas City Chiefs and for the NFL.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Glad to see your Chiefs notch a win today, Tom. Best thing that could happen to them in the midst of a truly awful situation. It actually reminds me a lot of when Steve McNair was killed by his girlfriend in a murder-suicide. He was my all-time favorite Titan, and one of the reasons that I started rooting for them in the first place, so I understand the grief.

I was actually speaking with a friend who himself has a friend who went to high school with Belcher and apparently still knows him. I have no idea how he would know this, but yesterday my friend got a text from him saying that the child was not Belcher's. Since there still hasn't been anything reported in the news about it, I'm kind of skeptical, but if true, I could see how that may have ignited the entire incident. Given that Belcher had shown no other signs of being mentally unstable, perhaps his girlfriend broke this news to him yesterday morning and he did this out of being overcome with emotion.

Meanwhile on the college front, UVA's starting QB Michael Rocco has decided to transfer, which is awesome, and Mike London fired four assistant coaches today. Understandable after a very disappointing season, except that the ones he fired make absolutely no sense. He got rid of the defensive coordinator, the defensive line coach, the running backs coach, and the tight ends coach, all of which were relative strengths on this year's team. Yet another example of questionable judgment on his part that is making me seriously doubt his ability to be a successful head coach. And I have no idea what effect this will have on recruiting, but I doubt it will be of much help. Damn it all.

But on the other hand, how about that SEC championship game? Can't believe the Tide will make three national championship appearances in four seasons... Hopefully they can also pull off the incredible feat of making it three out of four wins. RTR baby! :-D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^^Haven't heard that about Belcher, but if true, still, it is unspeakable.

I know what you mean about McNair. Back in Feb of 2000 when Derrick Thomas passed away, I was devastated. I was 11, and had been a Chiefs fan since I was 3, despite no one in my family being a fan of the team. I had DT shirts, cards, all that stuff, and when he died, it was awful for me. I said then, as an 11 year old, that I would name my first son after him. Now, that I know more about him and his legacy, I understand he was far from the most stand up citizen, but I still intend on doing that in the future. This kind of thing is devastating, but hopefully good comes from it. A focus on domestic violence, prevention, and all that goes with it.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I was just thinking about the Monday night matchup tonight (should be an excellent game, by the way), and it occurred to me that I can't recall a time since I started watching the NFL regularly about 12 years ago when there has been such a high number of young, talented QB's in the league.

Just looking at the guys who have been in the league four years or less, we've got: Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Freeman, Stafford, Newton, Tannehill, Locker, Dalton, Bradford, and now the emergence of Kaepernick as players that look like true franchise QBs and are capable of making game-changing plays. You have to be pretty happy about the future of the league with players like this at QB for the next 10 years.

The race for rookie of the year is going to be a pretty fascinating one. It's obviously going to go to either Luck or RGIII, and you could make a compelling case for either one, but what seems to get lost in that discussion is the fact that Russell Wilson and Doug Martin are having pretty damn impressive rookie seasons as well. In any other year, I think they'd be considered front-runners for the award.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yeah, this year's QB class may be remembered like the 1983 class, and that is a very very bold statement. Russel Wilson is the one I find to be the most surprising. You can also throw Ponder and Weeden in, especially with the way the Browns have been playing, despite wins. Ponder has no weapons which is part of his problem. Then you have Nick Fowles, who was named the starter today for Philly the rest of the year. Who knows, Greg McElroy could be the starter for the Jets too. Then another 2 names that may pop up in the future, Osweiler with the Broncos learning under Peyton, and then Kellen Moore who is in Detroit.

Then you look at this next drafts class. Clearly it is too early to tell who will be the first taken, but it is a very shallow class. Geno Smith is who I see as having the most upside personally. Then you have Matt Barkley, who will be another USC QB bust I think, Landry Jones is far from great, Nick Florence from Baylor may turn some heads, the kid from NC State will get some looks, but really, it is a weak class. Of course this is the year the Chefs will get the first pick, which Kiper says they should waste on Manti Te'o which I think is dumb. I think a great project QB will be Collin Klein. His accuracy (after spending the summer working in the Manning camp) jumped 20% and he threw a total of 7 interceptions with over 20 TD passes. Those are good numbers regardless. If he can clean up the delivery a bit more, he could do very well. Just like Newton and RG3, they are all the same style. Plus, he already has an entire fan base in KC.

Final thought, both Manning's have the biggest foreheads ever, and they always have the giant red mark when they take the helmets off. Just an observation.

bmac

Giga Poster
I've come to call it the "Mark of a Manning." Because they're two of the few players that I've seen constantly have the red mark from the helmet.

Colossus

Giga Poster
tomahawKSU said:
Final thought, both Manning's have the biggest foreheads ever, and they always have the giant red mark when they take the helmets off. Just an observation.

They don't have, foreheads, they have fiveheads, lol ;)

This young QB`s discussion is a good one, Im going to do this in tiers, NFL.Com style.

Top of the Top

Andrew Luck - I know he should be in the unproven category, but come on, he is certainly the most NFL ready QB we have seen for while, I can honestly see him playing at a high standard or many years to come, he has big boots to fill, and he`s doing an excellent job.

Matthew Stafford - Suffered from injuries early on in his career, but when he has been on the field, he has looked impressive, last year he was overshadowed by Drew Brees, but his numbers where phenomenal. I don't think the blame can be pinned on him for the slump this year, but I see he and Megatron keeping that organization competitive for a long time.

Andy Dalton - You better believe this guy is the real deal, he has played consistently well ever since his introduction to the league, there`s nothing that tells me he will slow down. AJ "Chad Who?" Green will only allow Dalton to blossom even more, with Dalton leading the team we may have to stop calling Cinci the Bungals.

Almost There

Jake Locker - has comeback well from injury, he is definitely the Titans "guy" for the future, and he is certainly better then the Titans last "Franchise QB" Vince Young, not that that`s hard. I really look forward to next year for Locker, I would love to see him avoid injury and see out a whole season, along with Kenny Britt not getting suspended and CJ running well, I could see the Titans having a good year on offense.

Josh Freeman - has done really well actually and for me as a Bucs fan it hard to remember a time when we had a reasonably trustworthy guy under center, Jeff Garcia was, but he was 53 years old.
The only thing that stops me putting him higher, is his awful season last year, accompanied with bad decision making, which is getting less and less thankfully, Freeman`s chance to prove himself is right now, he has the offense around him, he has 2 Pro Bowl G`s (though they are both on IR) V-Jax, Doug Martin and even Dallas Clark is looking helpful at the moment., Hes definitely our guy, and I think he will eventually lead us back to the post season, we just don`t know how long it will take him.

Robert Griffin III - I think he will be around for along time, and if in few years time he hasn't gone a bit coo coo like Cam because teams have film on him and are scheming against him, coupled with still playing well, then he can single handily turn the Redskins into a force in the East, and give that team the franchise leader it has so desperately needed for many years.

Still Unproven

Russell Wilson - Is certainly making a name for himself in his rookie year, and doing a good job of keeping Matt Flynn on the sideline counting his money. But can he sustain this high level? He has all the weapons right now, a great running game, good receivers and a decent D. I would like to see where he is with his development at the end of next season.

Ryan Tannerhill - He`s going to be hard to judge, hes going nice and steady for now, and I think he will continue to do so, I don`t know whether he will light the league up in the future, but I don`t think he will be bad, I see him as very average, very Miami Dolphins.

Colin Kaepernick - Yeah he looked good against the Saints, but he single handily gifted the Rams a win on Sunday with a silly error, time will tell if he can keep the job over Alex Smith.

Nick Foles - I`m a little unsure of him, but he hast played enough for me to put him anywhere else but here, the thing is, the Eagles are just a mess, I think Vick is done in Philadelphia for sure as could be Andy Reid. So if there is going to be a new starter at QB next year? Something tells me it is not going to be Nick Foles, I`m not sure what makes me think that? Just a hunch maybe? Or is it that fact that Philly will want something a little more exotic?

Unsure Of

Christian Ponder - I`m not sure what to make of him yet, sometimes he looks like a decent QB, sometimes he looks turd, I think his problem will be (as already said) his weaponry, he`s got Harvin, All Day and Rudolph, and aslong as the`re all fit I think he will be OK, but take one of those out, like at the moment with Harvin, and Ponder looks vary suspicious.

Cam Newton - Now I know he put up some monster numbers in his rookie year and made plenty of plays, but we`ve all been watching Cam for many years now, we witnessed what he did at Auburn and his rookie year, and when he`s playing well, he`s Superman Cam. But as we have seen this year, with his and the Panthers slump, Cam has really been brought back down to Earth with a bang, and this has lead to some character issues, his rant the other week was particularly interesting, this isn't school anymore Cam, Welcome to the big leagues.

Sam Bradford - Same as Ponder really, sometimes looks good sometimes looks bad, don't really have the weapons, Amendola looks decent but seems to be hurt alot of the time, Jackson probably don`t have long left. I had the pleasure of watching Bradford at this years, NFL International Series game, and he looked very average, lots of short passes, other then his long TD pass, it was all very careful, didn't really try to comeback from the Patriots big lead, he didn't turn the ball over though.
Certainly not a bad QB, I would like to see him with a top caliber receiver and maybe a half decent TE.

Lower Level

Blaine Gabbert - Lost his job to Chad Henne after a season ending injury, Henne has a huge game through the air against one of the leagues best D`s, also getting Mercedes Lewis and Justin Blackmon involved in the passing attack, providing Henne, don't blow it, I can see him being the starter over Gabbert on opening day next year.

Tim Tebow - I couldn't believe, he ended up with New York, perhaps Rex just wanted a little more razzmatazz around his team, or perhaps he wanted to put a firework up Mark Sanchez`s ass. Well the latter clearly has not worked, I think he needs to move in the off-season if he hopes to forward his career, otherwise he could continue to be the worlds most famous back up. Jacksonville would be a good spot as his hometown, it could light some more interest in that team also.

Brandon Weeden - Again you would argue he should be classified as unproven, but its the Browns, they don`t exactly have the best record of drafting QB`s, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, that might be harsh to Weeden, but I haven't seen anything yet that proves otherwise.

JeMarcus Russell Like

Mark Sanchez - I know he don`t have the biggest weapons to play with, but he`s been around long enough for us to see that he is infact, not vary good, he gets yanked after throwing 9 Ints, Greg McElroy comes in and wins the game.
Sanchez just is not league caliber, his decision making is awful, he has no poise, he`s just not a leader, running into his own lineman last week also? Hes simply not good enough.

John Skelton - This guy just aint the guy, I know they won a game or two under him at the start, but still, he just don`t seem like hes confident enough to lead a team, Kolb looked better when Skelton got hurt, but then he got hurt, Skelton came back and got yanked for another first time starter.
The Cards should just put Larry Fitzgerald or Patrick Peterson at QB and be done with it.