What's new

Fairground owner in court after 12-year-old falls from ride

T0M

Hyper Poster
Re: Fairground owner in court after 12-year-old falls from r

It wasn't picked up by the media at the time. Funfair accidents often don't make national news until after a court case.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Kebab

Giga Poster

Those rides are awful anyway, never felt safe on those. It's saying something when the same incident with two different people appear in the same article. Not sure if was the operators fault, it could just be an issue with the ride itself.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Never go to a funfair if the owner has a name like Gary Gore.
rnn-nw-garygore-pic1.jpg

You can clearly see how she fell out though. The end seats have no support for you on the sides, you're just relying on the lap part to hold you. Despite having deep bucket seats, this still isn't good enough considering that this ride is all about lateral forces. I'd blame the manufactures, not the operator.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Did you read the HSE report Erol?

The HSE had demanded the manufacturer issue a safety notice to all owners of the rides about this and that the ride must be fitted with an extra side bar to stop exactly this kind of incident from happening.

The owner got the safety notice and ignored it - hence the accident happened. He pleaded guilty to the charges as he knew he should have fitted the extra side bars.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Last time Mr Gore brought his Fair to Chorley, he parked the generator outside my theatre's dressing room and filled the place with fumes on sell-out show night. So to this news I can only say HA HA HA HA HA HA HA at him.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

furie said:
Did you read the HSE report Erol?

The HSE had demanded the manufacturer issue a safety notice to all owners of the rides about this and that the ride must be fitted with an extra side bar to stop exactly this kind of incident from happening.

The owner got the safety notice and ignored it - hence the accident happened. He pleaded guilty to the charges as he knew he should have fitted the extra side bars.

Oh ha no I didn't... I just skimmed the topic before I went to work. Cuss my head :oops:

Nic

Strata Poster

Pretty much what Furie said. The original accident that's also mentioned in the article could be blamed on the poor design, and therefore be considered the fault of the manufacturer. However, the second accident, the one in question here, was entirely preventable.

As a direct result of the first accident, all operators had been told to stop using the outside seats immediately, and not to use them again until additional side support bars had been fitted. The showman in question here had been told this multiple times, yet still insisted on using the outside seats despite not having made the required modifications. Therefore, he's clearly the only one to blame.